Live or Fade Away

Stu

Lame, geeky, "you mean you pay to do this?", you name it :tongue:

hey, this is way off topic, but any of you guys have an update on the kid who hurt his leg badly at finals last year. I hope he's going to be able to walk ok...most likely, the marching thing....a thing of the past.

It's not losing fans (as a whole). It may be losing people who were true to the art pre-electronics, but I see newer and younger kids coming out to the shows every year. Maybe it is losing fans, but eventually it will regain it's abundant audiences. Changes are hard, and it may take a while to fully develop them, but usually when DCI makes a change it's for the better.

I thank God for the changes, because without them, I'd probably get bored of seeing the same old show year after year.

newer and younger kids come out to the shows because of the excellence of drum corps, not because of electronics.

they'd still be coming out to the shows if there were no electronics in drum corps...that's the point i've been making forever. electronics doesn't draw people to drum corps, but it sure does drive some away.

I've been watching drum corps for 33 years, and i've yet to see a repeat show...whacky...

newer and younger kids come out to the shows because of the excellence of drum corps, not because of electronics.

they'd still be coming out to the shows if there were no electronics in drum corps...that's the point i've been making forever. electronics doesn't draw people to drum corps, but it sure does drive some away.

I've been watching drum corps for 33 years, and i've yet to see a repeat show...whacky...

which electronics?

mics?

synths?

amps?

computer tabulation?

announcer mic?

nifty little digital recorders for the judges?

In 2009 you would have seen a repeat if it wasn't thanks to electronics! :tongue: I keed, I keed.

This is certainly true. Even me, someone who doesn't mind well balanced synths would still go if they didn't have them. But I must say that if they took away the pit amplification I'd be pretty ticked off.

Has there been any effort to poll the New comers to the activity, I'm talking younger high school or college kids? I know DCI was polling people who didn't come back to finals... but they should also be polling NEW younger people that go to events. I'm no so sure DCI has a full grasp on what their market is... business 101 says "Know your market."

Edited by charlie1223

Wait a minute here, 33 years would be 1978.... You haven't even seen a repeat show? How is that possible? Spartacus, 1981/1982, Phantom of the Opera 1988/1989, City of Angels, 1991/1992, West Side Story, 1984/1994. Do you do an every other year system or something? Could you please explain your definition of a repeat show?

• Like 2

hey, this is way off topic, but any of you guys have an update on the kid who hurt his leg badly at finals last year. I hope he's going to be able to walk ok...most likely, the marching thing....a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, I never really knew him that well, so I haven't been in contact with him; I have no idea what his current situation is RE: marching.

I didn't mean to say that it draws them into drum corps, oops. But I know people who could care less about the electronics. One of my friends who isn't even involved in the activity (but her boy friend is) LOVES Mad World. I don't think she cared about their being a few electronics, or miced solos. I mean, maybe the changes wont keep the older fans...but the newer fans wont notice it as much.

Can't?

Any brass player capable of delivering proper intonation on a Bb is equally capable of doing the same on a G.

Innovation? That's a stretch to claim that adding marching band elements is "innovation".

Quit calling it a marching band...I don't see any woodwinds. Or bandos for that matter. :huh2:

I didn't mean to say that it draws them into drum corps, oops. But I know people who could care less about the electronics. One of my friends who isn't even involved in the activity (but her boy friend is) LOVES Mad World. I don't think she cared about their being a few electronics, or miced solos. I mean, maybe the changes wont keep the older fans...but the newer fans wont notice it as much.

I think it's because many younger fans are coming from the marching band arena where guitars and synths are now already a normal part of the show.

I think it's because many younger fans are coming from the marching band arena where guitars and synths are now already a normal part of the show.

I guess. You make a good point.

In that sense I don't see drum corps "demise" in the near future.