DCI mirrors NASCAR

I don't think that plan will ever go through with NASCAR, either. They aren't rewarding the people who win enough. It's easier to sit back in the top 10 then it is to go for a win.

Actually thats the last part that NASCAR is working out befor they launch the new point system. They just havent decided on how many bonus points to award for winning and leading laps.

I thought this was an interesting idea, so I decided to apply a version of the points system to the 2010 regional and finals week scores. 1-23 points for San Antonio (surf did not appear at this show, so I gave them 1 point for simplicity's sake), Atlanta, Allentown and Quarters, 1-17 for Semis, and 1-12 for Finals.

tumblr_lfu9ydblIh1qal7n7.jpg

The only corps that would have been in different positions from these results are BK and Scouts, with BK only edging them out by a single point due to their relative success at the earlier shows.

Perhaps it wouldnt change what would have happened in past years. But dont you think corps would start working on being a lot cleaner earlier so they could get those early season points by edging out there close competitions. I think it would make an impact on corps as far as how they design and what books they writing.

TubaJon: It is very commendable that you are seeking greater parity in the realm of DCI Competition. Lord knows we need more unpredictable outcomes. However, the inherent problem here is one of how the outcomes are different between a sport where the first car crossing the finish line wins (objective) and a competition where the winner is scored by the opinions of judges (subjective). So if the opinions of the judges always place xyz corps ahead of others, how would your suggested NASCAR based points system make things less subjective?

Couldn't a corps such as BD have a terrible Finals show, but still win because of a large spread going in? Why would I want to see that on top in the DVD?

to expand on that, you could theoretically have the top 6 be the worst 6 at seasons end, and they'd still place top 6...granted, there'd have to be some type of catastrophic occurrence for this to happen, but any scoring system that even allows this to happen wouldn't work for a competition based on human judging instead of physical performance.

• Like 1

Couldn't a corps such as BD have a terrible Finals show, but still win because of a large spread going in? Why would I want to see that on top in the DVD?

Conversely, might a corps that surged at the end of the season have not chance of winning due to earlier placements? For example, in 2008, Phantom Regiment was 4th in San Antonio, 3rd in Atlanta, 1st in one of the two Allentown shows, 3rd in Quarterfinals, 2nd in Semifinals and 1st in Finals. How would this system have affected the corps' placement?

Conversely, might a corps that surged at the end of the season have not chance of winning due to earlier placements? For example, in 2008, Phantom Regiment was 4th in San Antonio, 3rd in Atlanta, 1st in one of the two Allentown shows, 3rd in Quarterfinals, 2nd in Semifinals and 1st in Finals. How would this system have affected the corps' placement?

But this is exactly my point. This forces corps to be consistent throughout the season. For those that surge at the end of the season, they should have done better earlier, and those who bomb at the end of the season dont bomb. Simple as that. Now once again I dont want this system in DCI for all of the formentioned reasons. I just wanted your thoughts. Thanks everyone :thumbup:

But this is exactly my point. This forces corps to be consistent throughout the season. For those that surge at the end of the season, they should have done better earlier, and those who bomb at the end of the season dont bomb. Simple as that. Now once again I dont want this system in DCI for all of the formentioned reasons. I just wanted your thoughts. Thanks everyone :thumbup:

But if your bombing on the end, but still win overall, that means that Finals won't have the best corps performing that night. The DVD will be not as good...

• Like 1

But if your bombing on the end, but still win overall, that means that Finals won't have the best corps performing that night. The DVD will be not as good...

indeed. that would not be pleasent

• Like 1

> This forces corps to be consistent throughout the season. For those that surge at the end of the season, they should have done better earlier, and those who bomb at the end of the season dont bomb.

Part of the appeal to get people to go to say San Antonio "and" Finals in the same season is that most corps' continue to get better, and better, and better, and add, and subtract, and get better as the tour progress toward Finals. As for the corps' you say bomb, they do not bomb, they just peak early and fail to get better, and better. So what you are in essence asking all corps' to do by coming out of the box in June on fire and be consistent throughout the whole season is for corps to actually peak in June (i.e. bomb).

• Like 1