[Biggest Challenge] #1 : Money

They already have trouble finishing their shows by the end of June... :ph34r::3

Unless ofcourse there is more money to be had if they travel "abroad" then if they stay locally... It depends on where you are.

they get a set fee for each DCi show they perform in. Unless someone's paying $$$ for an event to get them there, travelling abroad really makes no difference in income...just expenses

That idea leaves a bitter taste in my mouth...

not mine. we'd probably see fewer injuries

Perhaps I should have said from quite a few DCI employees.

Again, DCI would not help us with Heritage [Loganville, GA circa 1993], even after we asked for help many times. All DCI ever did for Heritage was send Heritage a catalogue where we could buy DCI suvies.

Dave Bryan, Roman Blenski and Steve Vickers [2 corps directors and the owner of DCW] offered us help, but that was about it

DCI 1993 is a very different DCI 2011. Pretty much an entire turnover at the offices.

"I'm sorry that you did not receive the help that you were looking for. The experience that you report is very different from what I have observed/experienced."

Re:

Then where is the parody in DCI. It is wrong for DCI to pay open class corps little to nothing[often nothing].

parody abounds...look at the What is Drum corps videos.

you mean parity. if you misused words like that when you asked DCI for help, that could be all one needs to see

parody abounds...look at the What is Drum corps videos.

you mean parity. if you misused words like that when you asked DCI for help, that could be all one needs to see

That had nothing to do with it.

It is 2011 not 1993. Today I am not well, and I have muscular dystrophy, chronic fatigue and SEVERE chronic pain.

At this point I am blessed to be able to keep typing at all, or do anything at all for that matter. I was not sick in 93, but I do think DCI is still sick with narcisism. That is why DCI has gone from almost 500 drumcorps to less than 50. Sure we do not have many corps anymore, but so what, those little corps all suck right? Besides, ain't the top 6 corps great!

Ugh...

Edited by Howdy

"DCI 1993 is a very different DCI 2011"

Re:

So tell me, what are the things that DCI is doing in 2011 to help out new small start up drum corps, and struggling or inactive drumcorps?

Here is one example of things that DCI is doing now: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=578a0c0d-165e-44e1-aa84-dbec35516860

Note that this is a story on DCI.org promoting a whole new circuit of start up corps. That kind of promtional thing didn't use to happen. Also note that one of the key presentors at the meeting was Bob Jacobs, a World Class Director and part of the management of DCI. Looks to me like DCI is trying to do things different in 2011.

• Like 1

I did a brief review of this thread and didn’t see this address, forgive me if I missed it

Slash staff on the pay roll, reduce staffing costs

The of the biggest changes I’ve seen from back in the day to today is how massive the staff has grown and how many people are on the payroll

Use to be only a few folks that got paid and they didn’t get paid much. A lot of instructions was done by alumni volunteers – of course, that was when corps were more regional and severed the area they were from

And now they have tech for everything, so many techs, so much added expense (even if they are not being paid, just carrying them for the summer is $$$$)

I’d love to see a break down in salaries paid in 1980 as compared to today in total amounts and then percentage of budget

I really do feel that many problems within DCI are due to too many people hanging around too long and making this their full time gig.

you got marcher paying to play and fan paying to see them play…seems like a sweet deal

and yeah, they put in long hours and have to ride around in staff RVs (the horror), people claim they are underpaid which I don’t know if I buy….to that, I say go test the market then, go get you pay day outside of DCI. Having DCI on your resume seems to be a pretty good benefit anyway

• Like 1

Here is one example of things that DCI is doing now: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=578a0c0d-165e-44e1-aa84-dbec35516860

Note that this is a story on DCI.org promoting a whole new circuit of start up corps. That kind of promtional thing didn't use to happen. Also note that one of the key presentors at the meeting was Bob Jacobs, a World Class Director and part of the management of DCI. Looks to me like DCI is trying to do things different in 2011.

What does DCI have to do with DCNA, other than running a story about it?

Does DCI plan to help fund DCNA?[doubtful]

Nevertheless, I am glad to see this organization start, and I am pleased that at least one DCI WC director is involved.

Edited by Howdy

That had nothing to do with it.

It is 2011 not 1993. Today I am not well, and I have muscular dystrophy, chronic fatigue and SEVERE chronic pain.

At this point I am blessed to be able to keep typing at all, or do anything at all for that matter. I was not sick in 93, but I do think DCI is still sick with narcisism. That is why DCI has gone from almost 500 drumcorps to less than 50. Sure we do not have many corps anymore, but so what, those little corps all suck right? Besides, ain't the top 6 corps great!

Ugh...

Howdy, while far from DCI's biggest fan, and I am sure some decisions they made did slowly lead to corps folding, DCI is not entirely responsible as you wish to claim. You can believe that fantasy all you want, and I realize if you believe a lie long enough it becomes the truth, but it's a lie.

since Dan A took over, you have seen much more in the way of operating procedures to keep corps doing the right things financially and assistance in getting new corps off the ground. You can't say that as much before Dan, and even then, with these procedures in place, I'm not sure how many of the corps lost would still be here. no more church sponsorships, VFW or AL, CYO....they all got out of the drum corps business. Corps would have folded regardless what DCI did.

but hey, live that lie