[Biggest Challenge] #1 : Money

Somehow get it back on TV. The quality of home theater, while a detriment to people leaving their homes, could be a positive for this since the picture and sound would be much better now than it has been. Just need to get an outlet to take a chance on it.

I will address this one, as it's been a few years now and some readers may not know the background on it -

DCI's ESPN2 gamble really did not pay off. The organization had to front the money for the broadcast (~400K) and could then sell its own commercial time. And in the end, it did not result in a real influx of revenue, nor did it create increased attendance or auditions. Thusly, the switch to DVD and online, which carries fewer costs (and actually makes money for DCI and the corps).

Prior to that with the PBS highlights / live shows, finding an underwriter was next to impossible. It was the generosity of the Cook Group that kept it going as long as it did there. (Not to mention PBS's flat refusal to show live Finals on Saturday nights when they could be broadcasting more popular programming.)

Mike

And just putting this out there - would it be advantageous (or even feasible or technically possible) for groups touring together to share pit equipment? Structure the tour so that corps are travelling together for stretches? That would allow for fewer trucks carrying fewer equipment.

Mike

I will address this one, as it's been a few years now and some readers may not know the background on it -

DCI's ESPN2 gamble really did not pay off. The organization had to front the money for the broadcast (~400K) and could then sell its own commercial time. And in the end, it did not result in a real influx of revenue, nor did it create increased attendance or auditions. Thusly, the switch to DVD and online, which carries fewer costs (and actually makes money for DCI and the corps).

Prior to that with the PBS highlights / live shows, finding an underwriter was next to impossible. It was the generosity of the Cook Group that kept it going as long as it did there. (Not to mention PBS's flat refusal to show live Finals on Saturday nights when they could be broadcasting more popular programming.)

Mike

I see your point, and agree. With what we can watch on the web, TV doesn't make sense anymore. Too much overhead comparatively.

Reduce the size of the pit, and add more cowbell. We NEED more cowbell. :tongue:

I think corps could do more to raise awareness of upcoming shows. Instead of getting to town the afternoon of the show, get there the day before, and play a feature at the local minor league baseball game, do an impromptu parade around the mall parking lot, get on the news, impress people, hand out flyers and coupons for last minute tickets. You'd have to tweak the schedule somewhat, but some local promotion like this by one or two corps before each show would go a long way towards increasing attendance at shows that aren't sold out ahead of time.

Second, I have the impression that top corps spend a lot more money than they need to on uniforms, instruments, and other equipment. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But as has been pointed out, it's also true that more equipment means more fuel expenses. With an amped pit, do they really need more than two marimbas?

Also, are they taking advantage of the benefits they have? I'm no fan of electronics, but given that they are part of the rules, why not replace those $18k, several hundred pound timpanis with their mikes and dedicated pit member with an existing $2k, 20 pound sampling keyboard? It seems like there are lots of places to save money that aren't even considered.

I think corps could do more to raise awareness of upcoming shows. Instead of getting to town the afternoon of the show, get there the day before, and play a feature at the local minor league baseball game, do an impromptu parade around the mall parking lot, get on the news, impress people, hand out flyers and coupons for last minute tickets. You'd have to tweak the schedule somewhat, but some local promotion like this by one or two corps before each show would go a long way towards increasing attendance at shows that aren't sold out ahead of time.

Second, I have the impression that top corps spend a lot more money than they need to on uniforms, instruments, and other equipment. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But as has been pointed out, it's also true that more equipment means more fuel expenses. With an amped pit, do they really need more than two marimbas?

Also, are they taking advantage of the benefits they have? I'm no fan of electronics, but given that they are part of the rules, why not replace those $18k, several hundred pound timpanis with their mikes and dedicated pit member with an existing $2k, 20 pound sampling keyboard? It seems like there are lots of places to save money that aren't even considered.

and they could replace the 80 horns at 1k each with an existing keyboard...and the entire battery....

why don't they just get 40 synths, and 110 guard out there! I'd pay to see that!

not.

shorten spring training.

as spring training grew longer and longer, that had to increase costs.

and dont say "well shows won't get done"...they aren't done now

I'm not convinced that playing smaller "local" shows is the way to go in the future. If anything, I think there should be more of a focus on the (DCI run) regional shows and build-up to the same. To me, the Texas tour showed a good model how to program a weekend - all WC's split on Thursday, switched to different cities on Friday, then a regional full WC show on Saturday.

Or even better, how about a split WC lineup in two cities on Friday, full corps regional on Saturday, and use that as a prelims to a top 6 (or 8, or 10) show on Sunday as a final for that week / leg of the tour?

In some ways, I kind of do agree with the WC focus on being "the circus comes to town." I think the tour might be more successful (and costs lowered) if it was more of a "home base for the week" sort of operation, especially if corps could share buses and trucks.

Mike

shorter seasons means less shows...less fans attending...less souvie sales. If all that adds up to being less then fuel expenses and food, then I don't know if anything will help, besides getting alternative income.

A shorter touring season is a real bad idea. Corps will just practice more 9 hr + rehersal days vs touring. That does not sound like a lot of fun for the kids.

If a WC corps isn't getting paid 3 + grand , they won't show up for a parade, standstill, etc. It is all about the $$$. Local participation and community involvement is seen as something for the little open class corps

[unless it is a paying gig].