Homogenizing (in reverse)

Stu

If drum corps was to add woodwind instruments it would have maintain its "major league status" IT would have to capitalize that it does things at the highest level ever imaginable. I mean, that's sort of the difference between semi=pro and pro anything.

What should happen is DCI just sticks with the commonly accepted term of drum corps, drum corps with out woodwinds. Then BOA can create their own version of summer band that involves woodwinds. Maybe Blue Devils can create BD-D which is their marching band devision and beat the Marching Bands of AMerica Summer Tour too.

The competition between the two circuits will be good.

Variety, again, is the answer...

add electronics to the woodwinds, and you'll have what i've been arguing for for years...a completely separate band circuit.

Well, we sure scared away everyone else, didn't we?

shutup.gif

only the strong survive...which is why drum corps isn't. :ph34r:

Wrong...

"The first marching band to ever march during halftime at a football game was the University of Illinois' Marching Illini. They performed at halftime in 1907 during the University of Illinois' game against the University of Chicago."<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">Citation: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_was_the_first_marching_band_formed#ixzz1D8E1hxcA

and...

"Initially after World War I, drummers and buglers gathered in their American Legion ("AL") and Veterans of Foreign Wars ("VFW") posts. Starting in the 1930s, many more corps were sponsored through other patriotic community organizations, such as Boy Scout ("BSA") troops, Elks lodges, YMCAs, the Catholic Youth Organization ("CYO"), Police Athletic Leagues ("PAL"), firefighter organizations, local businesses, and even high schools and universities

and WWI ended in 1918

Interesting side discussion as I'm looking for info on pre-WWII Drum Corps. No idea on MBs but first few years of American Legion the Champion was picked from the "Big Parade" at the convention. Few years later there were too many corps in the parade so a field competition format was used. Interesting also that American Legion had a Bands Competition which also went on in the 20s. No idea when this ended and no idea if they had a field show portion.

As for Sousas' bands I've never seen mention of anything except concerts and paredes (IOW - no field show). LOL - he was connected to the "Boys of '76" Sr corps a few times, nice pic of JPS and the corps on the corps website.

The change is that the 400+ corps have become the 4,000+ competitive bands. Competitive marching music is thriving in 2011 as compared to 1971.

Don't forget that marching band competitions were happening back in 1971 too, before bands adopted corps style. I don't know if there is any historical data on it but I would bet that the total number of competitive marching music events is less now than in 1971.

Don't forget that marching band competitions were happening back in 1971 too, before bands adopted corps style. I don't know if there is any historical data on it but I would bet that the total number of competitive marching music events is less now than in 1971.

Nope; there are way more local hs contests now than in the 1970's (check the various marching band websites). The reason is that every booster organization around the nation began to realize that holding a contest can be a fund raiser.

Nope; there are way more local hs contests now than in the 1970's (check the various marching band websites). The reason is that every booster organization around the nation began to realize that holding a contest can be a fund raiser.

Think you read it the same way I did the first time. MR said "total number of competitive marching music events" not "HS band contests". My area had no Jr corps but plenty of Sr shows (about one every other weekend within a 70 mile drive). Have to say more total shows today due to just about every competing HS hosting a show. But would love a comparision on number/percentage of audience members who didn't know someone on the field. At our local DC show know a lot of people came every year who never marched and who didn't know anyone in a corps. Know this cuz I ushered and talked to the "familiar faces" a lot of times.

Think you read it the same way I did the first time. MR said "total number of competitive marching music events" not "HS band contests". My area had no Jr corps but plenty of Sr shows (about one every other weekend within a 70 mile drive). Have to say more total shows today due to just about every competing HS hosting a show. But would love a comparision on number/percentage of audience members who didn't know someone on the field. At our local DC show know a lot of people came every year who never marched and who didn't know anyone in a corps. Know this cuz I ushered and talked to the "familiar faces" a lot of times.

In context of reading the two sentences "together" in the post written by MarimbasaurusRex, the reader will logically infer that the second sentence was in reference to high school contests of the first sentence.