Today's Field Pass with Paul Rennick

I'm curious. I've seen a couple of people now mention that they are glad the snares won't be tilted. Why? Is it just a visual preference? Its absolutely better for the hands as it allows for natural extension to forte without having to force your arm to turn in a way it wasn't built to do. If it's a traditionalist thing, drums were tilted at the beginning when they were on slings (bringing about trad grip in the first place), so a tilt would actually be more traditional. I'm interested to know the motivation behind that opinion.

My goodness THANK YOU!

People are really irritating with this argument. I have no problem with anyones preference to aesthetics, but why people spend so much time hating the tilt or arguing against it is beyond ridiculous. This is an all age thing too. Go on youtube and look at SCV 2005 clips (or any video featuring a match grip snare line) and you see the dumbest most ignorant banter. One of my favorites was "SCV would have scored at least 2nd or3rd in 2005 if their snare line played traditional. They take off points for that).

But back to the tilt... same thing! Crazy arguing for no good reason. Thats like debating the "Elbows up" tenor technique (ala 98 crossmen) or the relaxed approach. The Right hand elbow-up like the mid 90s cadets snares, or relaxed. Who cares? Every instructor has their own approach, and more than 1 type of approach has been successful so there is no "universally correct" technique. Heck if a group can play traditional grip off the right hand instead of the left and do so with great quality of sound and uniformity, then its "Correct". If they want to march on their hands and drum with their feat, who cares? as long as its clean and uniform.

For me personally, I love the tilt.

I first experimented tilting drums in 1996 with the high school i taught. (yes.. before SCV did it).

I was serving in the US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps in washington DC at the time. We did a performance every friday night in the Spring and Summer months. The first part we hand sling drums and 2 bass drums for that "old school" style, and for the second part, we had our full "Contemporary" line up of 8 snares, 4 quads, 4 bass 4 cymbals on modern Pearl Drums.

For the sling part, (Which was mainly comprised of the younger members of the group, not all of which were snare drummers by trade) I noticed that our uniformity was almost always spot on. I dont think tilt naturally fixes technique, but in this case, it did seem to encourage a uniform angle of approach (Again, not "Easier". Thats what seems to annoy the anti-tilt crowd. They think people do it because it makes it easier to drum.. nobody ever said this).

I was having trouble getting my high school students to approach the drum at the same angle (the one bad thing about practice pads- they encourage bad technique). So I had their drums tilted on stands one day when they came in and it eliminated a lot of our issues almost instantly as far as angle, path of the stick etc. It also got them to relax their shoulders more.

Potatoes/PotAHtoes i guess.. lol

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Excited to hear and see SCV percussion this year!

• Like 2

Paul and Sandi Rennick joining SCV is a huge step forward. The Rennicks have always done a fantastic job styling the percussion parts to fit in with horn parts (which is why Phantom sounded so great IMO.) They definitely have a shot at winning drums again this year, but I think it'll take a little bit longer for the entire corps to get in to the top 3 or even win.

They[sCV]definitely have a shot at winning drums again this year,

Good luck to the Rennicks and SCV, a great corps with a rich history. But how about let's take it easy with the pre-season prediction (which kinda sounds more like a pronouncement with that word "definitely" attached) stuff. I'd rather just watch the season play out - isn't that the fun of it?

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1

wackywords, on 12 February 2011 - 11:42 PM, said:

it is a fact.

just know that my sources are very reliable.

All I know is that you are making know-it-all pronouncements, but can't support them. It sounds more to me like you know nothing.

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1

All I know is that you are making know-it-all pronouncements, but can't support them. It sounds more to me like you know nothing.

Fred O.

lol no need to get upset. you can choose to believe me or not. if i say something on here, its all coming from very REAL and RELIABLE sources from different people in many organizations. i just choose to keep a confidentiality agreement with others on where info is coming from.

lol no need to get upset. you can choose to believe me or not. if i say something on here, its all coming from very REAL and RELIABLE sources from different people in many organizations. i just choose to keep a confidentiality agreement with others on where info is coming from.

OK, if you say so. But all that secret agent, keep-it-under-your-hat stuff still makes it kinda iffy for me.

Good Luck to the Rennicks and SCV, to Shane Gwaltney and Phantom, and most of all to all those kids, wherever they choose to march. Hope it'll be an interesting and enjoyable season.

10-4 and out,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5