Today's Field Pass with Paul Rennick

SO Mr. Rennick answered some often asked questions about SCVs line for 2011 on today's Field Pass.

1. No tilted snares - :thumbup::thumbup:

2. The plate line is staying :thumbup:

3. The line is NOT completely made up of Phantom/UNT drummers (kills that DCP myth)

Discuss?

• Like 1

Also: traditional grip, not match.

3. The line is NOT completely made up of Phantom/UNT drummers.

Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but choice of phraseology here is interesting; not completely can still mean that the majority of the line is Regiment/UNT transfers.

Edited by Stu

3. The line is NOT completely made up of Phantom/UNT drummers.

Not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but choice of phraseology here is interesting; not completely can still mean that the majority of the line is Regiment/UNT transfers.

The "Completely" phrasing is my own - not from Mr. Rennick.

He actually states how many Phantom/UNT players are on the line. If my old brain serves me right:

2 Basses

1 Tenor

4 snares

I think that was the count.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

The "Completely" phrasing is my own - not from Mr. Rennick.

He actually states how many Phantom/UNT players are on the line. If my old brain serves me right:

2 Basses

1 Tenor

4 snares

I think that was the count.

Thank you sfzfan. I am in a position where I can read and type but not listen to audio via speakers or headphone. So, if the numbers you wrote are accurate, the minority numbers in the line are followers of Paul from Regiment/UNT. I still wonder how many of the rest in the line are SCV Vets instead of SCV Rookies.

Thank you sfzfan. I am in a position where I can read and type but not listen to audio via speakers or headphone. So, if the numbers you wrote are accurate, the minority numbers in the line are followers of Paul from Regiment/UNT. I still wonder how many of the rest in the line are SCV Vets instead of SCV Rookies.

I don't think he gave a number for rookies or vets. It was actually one of the better field pass installments. I usually lose interest half way through.

• Like 1

I believe of the 7 Phantom drummers, only 2 are students at UNT. Also, there are 5 phantom pit vets marching at SCV.

Maybe we'll get to hear some pre-season audio soon?

This is nothing new of folks following instructors/cap heads. Happened with Tom Float from BD to VK. Scott Johnson from SCV to BD. I was surprise by the numbers, I thought it would be less. I was a little concern about his reverence of SCV's tradition, though my concern probably is an ignorant one. My point is that he has an appreciation and reverence to SCV's tradition. It was good to hear. I have high expectations for SCV this season and with PR vets in the line, it will be easy for Paul to institute his way and changing of the culture with the SCV percussion section. It's one thing to have new staff, but it's entirely different story for them to communicate effectively and ingrain their philosophy to a group that is not familiar. With the PR vets there, I can see SCV drumline doing really well.

I have been thinking that SCV could be a title contender this year or even win it all. It reminds me of 94 BD. Brand new percussion staff under Scott Johnson, they won it all and didn't look back after years of not winning the title or being in contention.

• Like 1