Today's Field Pass with Paul Rennick

great installment, good honest answers, and I love the he appreciates the legend that is SCV Percussion and the plates as well.

• Like 1

And once again, a rampant DCP myth about wholesale replacements in last year's SCV line....debunked.

Myth believers = corps-mongers?

I think he is just the man to restore that drumline to greatness. The question is - Can he do it on his first try?

• Like 1

This is nothing new of folks following instructors/cap heads. Happened with Tom Float from BD to VK. Scott Johnson from SCV to BD. I was surprise by the numbers, I thought it would be less. I was a little concern about his reverence of SCV's tradition, though my concern probably is an ignorant one. My point is that he has an appreciation and reverence to SCV's tradition. It was good to hear. I have high expectations for SCV this season and with PR vets in the line, it will be easy for Paul to institute his way and changing of the culture with the SCV percussion section. It's one thing to have new staff, but it's entirely different story for them to communicate effectively and ingrain their philosophy to a group that is not familiar. With the PR vets there, I can see SCV drumline doing really well.

I have been thinking that SCV could be a title contender this year or even win it all. It reminds me of 94 BD. Brand new percussion staff under Scott Johnson, they won it all and didn't look back after years of not winning the title or being in contention.

totally agree with you there. i feel that 2011 SCV is going to be one that we remember for a LOOOOOONG time.

I think he is just the man to restore that drumline to greatness. The question is - Can he do it on his first try?

:smile:

It's Already Done.

SO Mr. Rennick answered some often asked questions about SCVs line for 2011 on today's Field Pass.

2. The plate line is staying :thumbup:

25hiz45.jpg

Edited by I play the baritone good
  • Like 1

I have been thinking that SCV could be a title contender this year or even win it all.

Best of luck to SCV. But I still think it's much too early to tell, or even hazard a guess. I'm looking forward to the summer to see how it plays out. That's the fun of it, right?

regards,

Fred O.

This is nothing new of folks following instructors/cap heads. Happened with Tom Float from BD to VK. Scott Johnson from SCV to BD. I was surprise by the numbers, I thought it would be less. I was a little concern about his reverence of SCV's tradition, though my concern probably is an ignorant one. My point is that he has an appreciation and reverence to SCV's tradition. It was good to hear. I have high expectations for SCV this season and with PR vets in the line, it will be easy for Paul to institute his way and changing of the culture with the SCV percussion section. It's one thing to have new staff, but it's entirely different story for them to communicate effectively and ingrain their philosophy to a group that is not familiar. With the PR vets there, I can see SCV drumline doing really well.

I have been thinking that SCV could be a title contender this year or even win it all. It reminds me of 94 BD. Brand new percussion staff under Scott Johnson, they won it all and didn't look back after years of not winning the title or being in contention.

Paul Rennick is great (obviously) and I have no doubt that he can do great things at SCV, but his presence alone hardly makes them a title contender. Last year at Phantom he won drum and the corps finished 6th. If the corps finished 6th in drums last year they likely STILL would have finished 6th as a full corps, so I just don't see that addition alone having that kind of impact.

Also, you mentioned Scott Johnson at BD in 1994, but I gotta tell you that these two situations are very different. In 1994 the devils didn't just get a new drum staff, but they also got a new visual staff. BD did NOT march well for quite a few years there, but as soon as Todd Ryan arrived that changed. BD already had a championship calibre hornline and guard that was getting better every year. They also had arguably the best talent in the activity every year even when they were finishing out of the top 3. What they lacked was a championship calibre drum line and a championship calibre visual program. So, adding Scojo was only part of the equation that led to BD getting back to their reign of dominance.

Now, SCV has some more puzzle pieces to put together IMO. Their drill is good and their drumline will be great. The guard is ok, but not at the same level as the top few corps right now. Also, they don't march great and they have a whole new brass team whose approach is very different than the previous brass staff's who was not only good, but was very liked by the members. So they may be in for some growing pans in the transition there (hopefully not though). Finally, I am not sold on the Devil's Staircase stuff. It is obviously great music, but I do not see it translating to the field and it sounds REALLY hard. It is a pretty big risk if you ask me. If they play it close to the original it will be so hard I don't know if it is do-able for the brass. If they dumb it down to make it a lot more attainable for the members it could be unrecognizable. Either way, it is so unconventional from a tonal standpoint that I don't know if the audience will be able to get into it. If people thought that last year's Bartok show was out there, this could be a whole other level....

Anyways, I am glad Rennick is at SCV and I am sure they will be great in time.

• Like 3

Paul Rennick is great (obviously) and I have no doubt that he can do great things at SCV, but his presence alone hardly makes them a title contender. Last year at Phantom he won drum and the corps finished 6th. If the corps finished 6th in drums last year they likely STILL would have finished 6th as a full corps, so I just don't see that addition alone having that kind of impact.

Also, you mentioned Scott Johnson at BD in 1994, but I gotta tell you that these two situations are very different. In 1994 the devils didn't just get a new drum staff, but they also got a new visual staff. BD did NOT march well for quite a few years there, but as soon as Todd Ryan arrived that changed. BD already had a championship calibre hornline and guard that was getting better every year. They also had arguably the best talent in the activity every year even when they were finishing out of the top 3. What they lacked was a championship calibre drum line and a championship calibre visual program. So, adding Scojo was only part of the equation that led to BD getting back to their reign of dominance.

Now, SCV has some more puzzle pieces to put together IMO. Their drill is good and their drumline will be great. The guard is ok, but not at the same level as the top few corps right now. Also, they don't march great and they have a whole new brass team whose approach is very different than the previous brass staff's who was not only good, but was very liked by the members. So they may be in for some growing pans in the transition there (hopefully not though). Finally, I am not sold on the Devil's Staircase stuff. It is obviously great music, but I do not see it translating to the field and it sounds REALLY hard. It is a pretty big risk if you ask me. If they play it close to the original it will be so hard I don't know if it is do-able for the brass. If they dumb it down to make it a lot more attainable for the members it could be unrecognizable. Either way, it is so unconventional from a tonal standpoint that I don't know if the audience will be able to get into it. If people thought that last year's Bartok show was out there, this could be a whole other level....

Anyways, I am glad Rennick is at SCV and I am sure they will be great in time.

their guard is fantastic IMO. one of the better guards

i think their issue is the music/brass/ and programming.

• Like 1

their guard is fantastic IMO. one of the better guards

i think their issue is the music/brass/ and programming.

I will take your word for it on the guard. I gotta admit I don't normally pay much attention to guard. I will saythat they were fantastic in 2009 though. 2010 I don't remember them as much, but that was mainly because I was very interested in the show as a whole.

I would definitely agree with your last statement.