Easy Cure for Entertainment, Maybe?

glory

Perhaps your glass is half empty when it could be half full? Don't think of this as restriction. Think of it as liberation. Corps and designers are free to design those two minutes without fear of losing visual points. Maybe they will stand still. Or maybe not. The point is to free the corps to give the music priority for just a couple of minutes.

HH

I'm going to have to agree with a previous poster, HH, in that I don't think you can stop judging visual unless you forced them to wear a blindfold....which was my point earlier about them "not judging" preshow. I think there are opportunities for visual expression even while in place. Not necessarily standing still but essentially in place.

If this were a rule a few years back and most people were simply doing a park-n-blow, and then BD comes walking out with white chairs, they take a seat and play some smokin' hot jazz chart for 2:00, and then get up and carry their chairs to the sidelines, the crowd would have went wild (which they kinda did) and they should be rewarded visually for how they handled the "concert" portion of their show.

I think the initial point was that for 2:00 you make music the emphasis. Corps that tried to be so visually creative in their concert number that the music became uninteresting whould, in my world, be highly downgraded. To say, as an earlier poster suggested, that nothing is stopping you from stopping and playing for 2:00 is true. Except that in doing so, you are removing any competitive element of the activity from your kids because the corps would be roasted on the sheets.

I think the initial point was that for 2:00 you make music the emphasis. Corps that tried to be so visually creative in their concert number that the music became uninteresting whould, in my world, be highly downgraded. To say, as an earlier poster suggested, that nothing is stopping you from stopping and playing for 2:00 is true. Except that in doing so, you are removing any competitive element of the activity from your kids because the corps would be roasted on the sheets.

There have been plenty of shows in the recent decade where corps were moving slowly or not at all for extended period of time. Maybe not 2:00 minutes straight but two minute straights of just music with no visual at a DRUM CORPS show gets boring fast. There are great moments where a halt or free for all stand still moments are VERY effective. Those moments where the corps doesn't move and just plays music can stack a great number of points in General Effect if done effectively. But the second you "require" something that's supposed to be effective... it IMMEDIATELY loses its effectiveness, guaranteed.

To me it would be the same thing as requiring corps to do a company front somewhere in their show. It ALWAYS gets a positive crowd reaction so maybe DCI should mandate that as well??? No way!!

Edited by charlie1223

No "concert" piece. I came to see drum corps. If I wanted to go watch a concert band/orchestra I would go to the concert hall.

Besides, everyone who says that DCI is lacking music is clueless. I rarely generalize that largely, but in this case it's true. So I'll say it again: Anyone who says DCI lacking music is 100% clueless and there is no point arguing with that kind of stupidity.

I find this quite ironic...when I say "no synthesizers...if I wanna hear synths, I'll listen to my Rush cd, or go to a Thomas Dolby concert", I get horribly castigated...

the second statement is just narrow minded and puerile...

There have been plenty of shows in the recent decade where corps were moving slowly or not at all for extended period of time. Maybe not 2:00 minutes straight but two minute straights of just music with no visual at a DRUM CORPS show gets boring fast. There are great moments where a halt or free for all stand still moments are VERY effective. Those moments where the corps doesn't move and just plays music can stack a great number of points in General Effect if done effectively. But the second you "require" something that's supposed to be effective... it IMMEDIATELY loses its effectiveness, guaranteed.

To me it would be the same thing as requiring corps to do a company front somewhere in their show. It ALWAYS gets a positive crowd reaction so maybe DCI should mandate that as well??? No way!!

why is vis more important then music? I can find shows in the last...oh...year that have 3 minutes without the majority of their horns playing...

No "concert" piece. I came to see drum corps. If I wanted to go watch a concert band/orchestra I would go to the concert hall.

Besides, everyone who says that DCI is lacking music is clueless. I rarely generalize that largely, but in this case it's true. So I'll say it again: Anyone who says DCI lacking music is 100% clueless and there is no point arguing with that kind of stupidity.

Is someone having a bad valentines day? :tongue:

There are many required elements in a drum corps show. Fewer now than "back in the day" but still requirements nonetheless. And there are other requirements that are not in the rules. It is essentially required for a corps to amplify its front ensemble in they choose to compete for a Finals night position. It's not in the "rule book," but you would not be taken seriously if you didn't.

I think the point of the OP was, what could be done to bring the musical/visual balance back in line because it is definitely tilted to the side of visual?

My opinion is that this is one of the more interesting concepts I've heard in some time that feels like it could actually happen. The musical entertainment that would result would far outway any perceived visual boredom. And it would give the guard an opportunity to take possession of the visual stage (which they do anyway but hopefully you get my drift). I'm not trying to be old school, but the concert numbers were some of the most memorable moments in the activity.

Legend Of A One-Eyed Sailor....to play it at a tempo that made any visual sense would destroy it, IMO. But it was awesome in it's day and to be redone in a modern arrangement would be incredible....moving or not.

Edited by 77TENOR

why is vis more important then music? I can find shows in the last...oh...year that have 3 minutes without the majority of their horns playing...

Why is your definition of music just when "the majority of horns are playing"? I bet you the percussion was playing if the horns weren't playing. And if a small ensemble of horns or section of the horn line isn't music... then... idk what is.

Edited by charlie1223

There are many required elements in a drum corps show. Fewer now than "back in the day" but still requirements nonetheless. And there are other requirements that are not in the rules. It is essentially required for a corps to amplify its front ensemble in they choose to compete for a Finals night position. It's not in the "rule book," but you would not be taken seriously if you didn't.

I think the point of the OP was, what could be done to bring the musical/visual balance back in line because it is definitely tilted to the side of visual?

My opinion is that this is one of the more interesting concepts I've heard in some time that feels like it could actually happen. The musical entertainment that would result would far outway any perceived visual boredom. And it would give the guard an opportunity to take possession of the visual stage (which they do anyway but hopefully you get my drift). I'm not trying to be old school, but the concert numbers were some of the most memorable moments in the activity.

Legend Of A One-Eyed Sailor....to play it at a tempo that made any visual sense would destroy it, IMO. But it was awesome in it's day and to be redone in a modern arrangement would be incredible....moving or not.

Then play it as an ENCORE!!

Edited by charlie1223