If you were judging Finals 2010, where would you place the 23 WC corps

I was going to start disagreeing with your post about cavaliers pulling away in texas - mainly because they never beat us between san antonio and quarterfinals - but since you said "started to pull ahead of Cadets and Crown" I decided not to.

I know there are good reasons why we came in 3rd. No big deal.

Also, I don't think we should have won. I think we could have won. If a few things went differently, then its not so far fetched. Like I said before, the season is over and I'm looking forward to 2011 a whole helluva lot.

You're right. Finals night 2010, we didn't deserve the gold and we didn't get it. That doesn't mean we didn't believe it was a possibility earlier in the summer.

Disclaimer: I just decided to place everyone according to what my favorite shows were, in order. Yes, I know that many of the placements make no sense comparing technical aspects of different corps, but so what. Oh, and I also really liked most of these shows so this really is not an insult to the corps but I can only put one corps in a spot, so here it is:

Excellent idea. In this case, my Top 12 would be...

1. Carolina Crown

2. Blue Stars

3. Cadets

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

5. Madison Scouts

6. Cavaliers

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Bluecoats

9. Blue Devils

10. Blue Knights

11. Boston Crusaders

12. Glassmen

• Like 1

:blink: ????

Did you guys really think you had a chance of winning last year..?

most corps go into the season liking to think they could win, no matter how unrealistic it might be. and for the bluecoats last year, i thought they could do it and thats just based off of score watching, since we were rarely at shows together or i was more interested in getting something for the bus at a nearby store, so for the members to think it was a realistic chance shouldnt be too far-fetched...

or

bad troll

Nope, bad troll.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My take...

1. Blue Devils

I didn't like the show. Not one bit. That doesn't mean it wasn't the cleanest, best performed show I've seen in a long time.

2. Bluecoats

A pounding, loud, amazing show that has stuck with me since the first time I saw it. Currently my favorite show I've ever seen.

3. Cavaliers

Why Bloo over Cavies? Simple. I only remember certain moments and pieces of "Mad World." I can't get a single second of "Metropolis" out of my head. Bloo made a more lasting impact on me, and that gives them an edge.

4. Cadets

Why Cadets over Crown? See Bloo over Cavies. Also, a fun fact: the guard member who gave Geoffrey his shako at the end is a DR at a dorm at my college, and I march with a Cadets mello in said college's marching band.

5. Crown

Pass

6. Phantom

I've listened to "The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms" and must say that Phantom did great justice to the source material. The most emotionally powerful show I've ever seen.

7. Blue Stars

Not much to say. Liked the show, and our bass line was always jealous of their line's drums; a beautiful red shell with great heads (foam-dampened, not PowerMax like we used at Surf).

8. Santa Clara

Just a shocking turn-off of a show for me... A stark contrast from "Ballet for Martha," a favorite of mine. Not that I don't like Bartok, but it just didn't work.

T9. Madison Scouts

T9. Boston Crusaders

I can't decide between these two. Power vs. Finesse, Theatrics vs. Storytelling, Green vs. Red. These two corps are almost polar opposites. I loved both shows, and thought they were both executed brilliantly.

11. Blue Knights

Would have been a third tie for 9th, but not as much reaction out of this show as the other two. Still, I never thought I'd say that BK had a streak of shows that I enjoyed.

DISCLAIMER: The rest of these placements are placed mostly on hearsay, since as a marching member of a corps I did not have a chance to see most of these shows.

12. The Academy

Who should go here? Certainly not the Glassmen, who I will discuss later, but from what I hear this was the most enjoyable show of this tier of corps.

13. Colts

The Colts may just buy a lease on this spot, since it seems like they never leave it.

14. Glassmen

Wanna know how boring this show was? At Atlanta, the thing my group and I noticed the most was how often the bass drums dropped their puffies during the show. Naturally, they were at most of our shows in the second half of tour, so it became a running joke among us. I'm trying to remember ANY Glassmen show I've ever seen.

15. Troopers

The gap spacer between the top 14 and bottom 8. Much closer to the 14 than the 8.

16. Spirit

Our touring buddy in the 1st half of our tour. A solid show that was solid, but unspectacular.

17. X-Men

Watched them on a TV screen in Atlanta. The circle drill wasn't too circle-y, but the music was good.

18. Pacific Crest

Don't know anything about this show.

19. Mandarins

Surf coulda beaten them in drums (they did in Allentown, IIRC)

20. Jersey Surf

Ah yes, my show. I will argue to this day that we should have beaten Teal Sound. Our biggest downfall this year (and -spoiler- next year at this rate) is that we had a VERY small horn line. It's our catch-22... we need more horns to be competitive, but we need to be more competitive to get more people to join our horn line.

21. Teal Sound

Guard outfits for the pit... electric guitars as a primary instrument... god, I do not like this corps.

22. Cascades

Ironically played "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow" just before a large rain storm in Fairfax, VA once... that's all I know about the show.

23. Pioneer

Below Cascades only because I have an idea of what the Cascades' show was like.

Edited by UP Drumline
  • Like 1

My take...

1. Blue Devils

I didn't like the show. Not one bit. That doesn't mean it was the cleanest, best performed show I've seen in a long time.

Then... what WAS it ?

• Like 1

:blink: ????

Did you guys really think you had a chance of winning last year..?

why wouldn't they?

Then... what WAS it ?

Doh... I'll fix that tongue.gif

• 1 month later...

1-Bluecoats

2-Cavaliers

3-BD

4-Cadets

5-Crown

6-SCV

7-Blue Stars

8-Phantom

9-BK

10-Boston

11-Madison

12-Academy

13-Glassmen

14-Colts

15-Troopers

16-Crossmen

17- Spirit

18-Pacific Crest

19-Teal Sound

20-Jersey Surf

21-Cascades

22-Mandarins

23-Pioneer

DISCLAIMER: The rest of these placements are placed mostly on hearsay, since as a marching member of a corps I did not have a chance to see most of these shows.

14. Glassmen

Wanna know how boring this show was? At Atlanta, the thing my group and I noticed the most was how often the bass drums dropped their puffies during the show. Naturally, they were at most of our shows in the second half of tour, so it became a running joke among us. I'm trying to remember ANY Glassmen show I've ever seen.

right. ok. see the following shows and get back to me: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002.

not addressing the rest of the implied meaning of the comment.

1. Cavaliers

2. Blue Devils

3. Bluecoats

4. Carolina Crown

5. Cadets

6. SCV

7. Blue Stars

8. Boston Crusaders

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Madison Scouts

11. Blue Knights

12. Glassmen