Favorite Drum Corp Record

Two recordings stick out as my favorites. One is a 1968 recording of Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, DeLaSalle Oaklands, and the Toronto Optimists at CNE Statdium in Toronto. North American Invitational sound familiar? The overhang of the stadium caught a lot of the sound and made the corps sound as if they were in a recording studio. Troop, Vanguard and DeLaSalle were really good!

Another favorite is a preview album DCI produced before the start of the 1972 season. I think we have two volumes with Santa Clara, Blue Stars, Madison, DeLaSalle, Boston, among others. All the corps are quite good, especially considering the recordings were probably done in the March-April time frame. Del was the real surprise of the group. Screamers for days during Channel One. They really sounded ready. Given what I heard then, I always wondered why they didn't finish higher that August. They sure sounded finalist caliber to me.

Another reason to lobby for pre-season venues like that of the Evening With The Corps. Those nights and the sounds produced by both first caliber Senior and Junior Corps of the time in Late April and Early May were quantitative of the work put forth through the fall and winter.

It may be a little tougher logistically with corps members coming in from the four corners of the earth instead of just around the the corner or next town as it once was ... but just think of the recordings to be had in a controlled environment and all the competitive spirit of corps in one place not to compete but to just show off - better than a parking lot any day - I bet!

Puppet

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lot of great recordings through the years but I have to say the one that always stands out for me was the 1969 World Open. There so many great corps there. I have no favorite corps (well,,,maybe the Troopers have a slight edge) but just loved that show.

Tell me,,do you have a favorite show recording? If so,,any favorites corps from that recording??

Brass By Night ,one of the greatest records of all time

I know that the Cavaliers "pre-season" recording that year was actually done after the season had begun, but still very early in the season. Most of the corps (as the Cavaliers did) recorded these sessions in standstill, arched-up horn line formation with several mics set up appropriately for sound balance. That's part of reason the recording sounded so good. You'll note that 27th Lancers' performance is at an early season show (on the field, not at standstill). We (Cavaliers) did several "takes" of different songs in order to get the quality as good as possible. I understand most others did it this way too, though probably not all.

I believe you are referring to Fleetwood's "The 1972 Drum Corps International Preview" (Fleetwood Sounds Item # DB1001)

Indeed our show (the 27th) was recorded outdoors at our first (serious) competition of that season (May) in Bridgeport, CT. (It had rained all day before the show.)

We won, but in reality, it was a cobbled-together show, not yet finalized. Several SERIES of progamming changes were made to the drum book, CG routine, brass arrangements, but especially M&M. Extra instructors came aboard, including George Oliviero, Jerry Hickey and Eric Rosen (from the Boston Crusaders). Recent alumni like Dean Marks, Peter Barry, Ann Fields, Susan Rolli, and Steve "Saint" Dorgan rallied to the cause as staff. We practiced every night for weeks, tweaking & fussing over change-after-change.

The recording made at the 1972 Shiners International is a startling improvement after one month of intense practice! (We won that show, too.)

Edited by Navillus WP

• 2 weeks later...

Two recordings stick out as my favorites. One is a 1968 recording of Troopers, Des Plaines Vanguard, DeLaSalle Oaklands, and the Toronto Optimists at CNE Statdium in Toronto. North American Invitational sound familiar? The overhang of the stadium caught a lot of the sound and made the corps sound as if they were in a recording studio. Troop, Vanguard and DeLaSalle were really good!

Another great sounding corps at CNE stadium was the Canadian Commanders senior corps. I think it was 1966 Shriner's. They came OTL with a stop time fanfare of "The Man I Love". What a titanic sound!

• 3 weeks later...

World Open: '71 for sure but the Kilties and (yes!) :bigsmile: the Brassmen in '72 pretty much kicked it up a notch.

Puppet

261410_153963748010604_100001909390378_332993_2731791_n.jpg

For decades, I had only two albums to listen to:

1973 US Open Prelims with Precisionnaires, Chevaliers, Colt.45 and my Americanos.

1974 DCI Championships with Kingsmen, Blue Devils, Blue Stars and Muchachos.

Both magnificent albums, but I am very glad disks and downloads are now far easier to obtain. :satisfied:

My favorite was "State of the Art" for 1979 with BD. This was an early, I believe, March recording which just blew my doors off! I remember having our high school band director ( an absolute hater of anything drumcorps) listen to this and he loved it (until we let him know it was drumcorps)! What an ###!

The first "State of the Art" album, with BD and SCV, was recorded in 1980. While BD did some adjustments to their show. SCV did some big changes after that recording, including taking the brass parts out of "Stone Ground Seven", and scrapping "Caravan" for "Selections from Evita".

Garry in Vegas