• Hawthorne Caballeros - " Flamenco Cha Cha"
    • Long Island Sunrisers - " The Joker "
    • New York Skyliners - " Elks Parade "
    • Baltimore Yankee Rebels - " Requiem for an Era "
    • Conneticut Hurricanes - " Walk on the Wild Side "
    • Syracuse Brigadiers - " Black Saddle"
    • New York Skyliners - " Miserlou "
    • All of the above

Another thing about the Joker. All bets were off when it came time for the push and the intonation. Loud was all that mattered. Leave their ears ringing. :tongue:

This is what I was referring to , please add your favorites to the poll.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ph34r:

I don't remember ever hearing The Joker..sorry Sunrisers folks..

Flamenco Cha-Cha would have to rate as my #1 fave, with Elk's Parade close behind. :worthy:

I'm too young to know 'Requiem', but have heard enough stories to add it as well..

I guess I'll need to win the Powerball so I can buy all those classic old DCA and Fleetwood recordings and 're-educate' myself. :tongue:

Pat

Please - it says these two are my favorites - and also says numerous times to " Please add yours to the poll"?

it was usually the old format - but " Requiem for an Era definitely fits - often the blast of the PM was used in juxtaposition with the backfield - or off the field which inherently had much less volume

IMHO concert number was used to show off brassline - although many Hurricane classics challenge this theory

and Elks Parade definately is the type of song i am referring to - ( it's really let it all loose and attack the stands - much like a color pre which was far more restricted by rules of the day

we cant add ours to the poll. only the creator can do that

Another thing about the Joker. All bets were off when it came time for the push and the intonation. Loud was all that mattered. Leave their ears ringing. :tongue:

Sort of the same thing with 'Flamenco' when we make the last turn around, form the front and make the final push to the stands. Certainly true with the Alumni Corps, but not so sure if that was the prevailing feeling in our competing days.

Interesting thing about the 'The Joker.' I think it's one of those songs that drum corps actually improved upon. The Brasil '66 version is very nice, but I believe Sun made it a different, much better song. Maybe this is true of 'Flamenco' too. Our version is certainly very different from the Caterina Valente original, but I'll leave to others to decide if it's better. I've played it many, many times since 1971, so I'm a bit jaded after all these years about this 'Caballeros National Anthem,' as Fran Haring has dubbed it.

Anyone who doesnt answer, "Requiem for an Era" simply doesn't know her or his drum corps.

(OK, I don't know that Col. Crawford's classic strictly fits your definition of a production number. But to me, it was the all-time, all-comers production number and color pre.)

Good point. My first thought with that was "color pre."

But you're right.... that was a production number to top all production numbers.

Santa Clara Vanguard director Gail Royer once said that the Vanguard's "Young Person's Guide" production in 1973-74, with its split corps and multiple meters/tempos, was inspired by that Yankee Rebels "Requiem" production several years before.

Edited by Fran Haring

One of my favorite "newer era" production numbers was the "New Orleans Production" done by the Empire Statesmen in 1993.

Holy mackerel, there was a lot of stuff going on in that one. With the topper being that huge King Rex puppet with the smoke effects at the end. Almost surreal. :thumbup:

I listened to the Statesmen's Finals performance from '93 recently, and the ovation at the end of that tune.... WOW. Talk about bringing the house down.

I've played it many, many times since 1971, so I'm a bit jaded after all these years about this 'Caballeros National Anthem,' as Fran Haring has dubbed it.

I've gotta give credit for that to my friend Steve Sapienza... he's the first one I remember using the "Anthem" reference to that tune!!!

Some of my favorites would be Rhapsody in Blue played in 79 by Sky,and again in 88 by Sun ,not forgetting the Hurcs great Genero version in the 60's.Going a bit later on in time the 88 Madison number of Maleguena"never could spell it right" would be another.So many more....so little time....Bobby B