Single Tenor Drums: When did they become extinct?

pearlsnaredrummer77

I got to wondering... (kind of realized my ignorance,lol) When & how did the tenor lines of single tenor drums actually stop? I would guess late 60s/early 70s. How did that unfold? Did some corps continue to use single tenors well into the 70s or were those tenor lines extinct? Was there a difference in how multi-tenors or timp-toms became dominant in DCI vs. DCA? Thanks to anyone who can help on this one...

Erie Thunderbirds used single tenors up until about 1972, when in 73 or 74 the corps purchased some used 13", 15" double tenors, and a set of double basses from CD of A,.............then a couple seasons later purchased their Ludwig Tri toms, that were oddly sized,............15", 17", and 20",..............

Speaking for my own corps: In 1969, Hawthorne got a new set of Slingerland drums with the white tiger-stripe covering, including snares and single tenors.

In 1970 we began using our very first set of double conga drums to replace our tenors, and they were also the white tiger-stripe covering. We never used single tenors again in the competing corps.

early 60's started with the rudimental bass drum

a little later saw the advent of " staggered bass "

after 1966 the horizontal multi-bass made it's first appearance

i believe 1970 was the advent of the double tenor

Around 1969 and 1970 saw the start of the double and tri tenors. By 1971 and 1972 most of the finalist corps were dominated with tri tenors. By 1973 and 1974 just about all single tenors were gone.

Erie Thunderbirds used single tenors up until about 1972, when in 73 or 74 the corps purchased some used 13", 15" double tenors, and a set of double basses from CD of A,.............then a couple seasons later purchased their Ludwig Tri toms, that were oddly sized,............15", 17", and 20",..............

However, our corps now uses single tenors once more, and we have 4 guys in that section, almost all of them are from the sixties era,............

Will have to double check but have a DVD of Westshoremen at 1970 DCA Prelims and think they had one of the backbreaker doubles.

However, our corps now uses single tenors once more, and we have 4 guys in that section, almost all of them are from the sixties era,............

I have seen a number of alumni corps using single tenors and have to confess to not exactly knowing what was going on the first time I saw them. (If eventually dawned upon me!) The single tenors were extinct by the time I became a drummer, although I do remember seeing some reposing in retirement in my HS cabinet.

Many of the Alumni Corps drum sections up here in Canada including the one I teach still use single tenors. Its part of our "heritage" if you will the same way the "pit" is part of the heritage for anyone involved from the 80's on.

Our snares are 12x15 10 lug "Super Classics" aka Challengers now, our tenors are same 12x15 but have 8 lugs to give a lower sound. Oh yeah we use SLINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like a crisp rudimental streetbeat augmented by a tenor drum section IMHO!!! :cool:

If your tenor players can't or won't carry the weight of multi-tenors, then single tenors are a very practical solution. "Practical", even in drum lines, is not a dirty word. I'm 61 and, though a snare, sure as hell wouldn't want to schlep a 30+ lb quad or quint set around. No way!

Edited by Jim Nevermann