Who did it better?

75 members have voted

1. 1. Concerto for Orchestra, Phantom or SCV?

• Phantom Regiment 2001
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

I would have to agree with cowtown about the horn lines. Phantoms book was much harder technically... both were pretty hard, but phantom was doing some ridiculous exposed techical things...

that never ending run with the trumpet and mello sections??? ####. I think regiment was still on G's.. not that it matters much though.

Nah. Yeah, those runs from movement five are pretty awesome, but that was... what, 15 seconds of the 6 minutes Phantom played from Concerto?

And difficulty isn't always about speed. I'd argue that Vanguard had the much harder book because of the challenging balance and blend issues, and individual voicing exposure on some of those chord progressions. SCV's book blows Phantom's out of the water with what they were trying harmonically with their ensemble.

• Like 3

Weren't they standing still though? SCV had tons of difficult and exposed passages while on the move. I thought SCV also executed their brass book in a more nuanced and musical way.

Nah. Yeah, those runs from movement five are pretty awesome, but that was... what, 15 seconds of the 6 minutes Phantom played from Concerto?

And difficulty isn't always about speed. I'd argue that Vanguard had the much harder book because of the challenging balance and blend issues, and individual voicing exposure on some of those chord progressions. SCV's book blows Phantom's out of the water with what they were trying harmonically with their ensemble.

Standing still and playing those runs is no easy task. Yeah, today I wouldn't be surprised if a drill writer didn't have them standing still, but that would be idiotic.... but as far as how they executed.. it was a bit more nuanced and musical. But i feel like they didn't execute very well. Actually, when I went back and listened, I do agree that overall SCVs brass book is more challenging. Granted Bartok was their whole show... but I do take back what I said earlier.. lol, I was a tad off base. But I stand by my horn line comment. Phantom performed much better, what was still a challenging book. What SCV was trying did hurt them performance wise. But kudos to them, they did a pretty #### good job at the nuance tuning stuff. When they did have similar runs and stuff it was not quite as clean.. and at louder dynamics I did not enjoy the sound. They had a great dark round sound with all the piano to mezzoish stuff... but once they expanded their volume the sound got thin, especially at the end.

And I agree with Mike's statement 100%

Simple. Phantom didn't need to use a synth piano sound to carry the melody of the entire corps so many times. If it weren't for that factor, I would probably give all props to SCV.

Liked SCV, but enjoyed PR far more. And while SCV drill was incredibly effective, my only issues with PR's drill from 01 was in the closer (as I recall) - completely blah.

Of note about that 2001 show, Peter Bond posted on RAMD about his distaste (perhaps disgust?) for the order of the pieces in the show, saying that it should've been in the opposite order: Festive, concerto mvmt 2, concerto mvmt 5. I liked the show as it was, but an interesting observation. I recall him being pretty vocal on RAMD, but I haven't seen anything of him on DCP.

SCV.

More of a total package.

visual was issue for Phantom 2001.

they finished behind CROSSMEN all year. till last week.

BUT THAT WAS A GREAT CROSSMEN CORPS.

SCV had more of a total visual and musical package.

the two not really similar at all.

I would go with SCV on this one. I didn't really care for the piece either time, honestly but I'd give the edge to SCV.

I have to agree with this. I love the symphonic version of this piece, and maybe I know it (as well as ...Celeste) too well, and I'm sorry to be negative here, because I don't think either corps came even close to maxing this one out. Too many rough spots in both shows for me where the piece demands virtuosity or don't bother. Maybe it's just not a good piece for drum corps translation because...no doubt... the challenge (even just sitting on an orchestral stage, never mind trying to move) is extreme. And I did not like the hashed/chopped up arrangements. Still, SCV did it better.

Edited by Peel Paint
  • Like 1

love it when people bump this thread.

gives me a chance to pronounce more love for SCV 2010, one of the few shows I'd ever really call underrated.

a few years from now, i think it's impact will finally be felt.

loved the phantom show too, of course.

• Like 1