DCI Trivia

DCI Trivia:

The San Francisco Renegades were the first drum corps to ever legally utilize electronics in DCI competition, in 2000.

True story.

DCI Trivia:

The San Francisco Renegades were the first drum corps to ever legally utilize electronics in DCI competition, in 2000.

True story.

I love the renegades but I'm not sure I'd want to admit to being the first to use electronics in drum corps. :shutup:

Define electronics. I think there was once a rule allowing you to put a battery-powered vibrato on marching vibes. That's electronic, isn't it?

DCI Trivia:

True story.

So what's the story behind this one?

when in doubt, blame the Renegades

DCI Trivia:

True story.

I didn't even know the San Francisco Renegades ever competed " in DCI Competition ".

But even if the S.F. Renegades just performed in exhibition at a DCI show in 2000, I seem to recall lots of other exhibition Corps that used plugged in electronics in their pre show exhibition performances at DCI Competitions,... and well before 2000 too. Scout House performed exhibitions at DCI Competitions in Canada, and they've used some " electronics " in portions of their pre show performance exhibitions at DCI Canada... and well before 2000 too. There have been Jazz Band Combos that have been plugged in too in their pre show performance in exhibition at DCI Competitions, and well before 2000 as well.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not sure what Lee means by "legally," but he's a lawyer and I'm not, so I'm not going to argue with him. Boston used that there synthesizer at DCI in 1985, and were penalized but not D/Qd for it. In 86 we took the penalty for using a board, mikes and Simmons pads at the first two weekends of DCM competitions (remember DCM? I didn't think so.). We were informally told by DCI that when we got on tour we might be DQd at the whim of the contest director, so we dropped them. I'm assuming by "legally" that Lee means not penalized. LET'S FIND OUT...

I seem to remember several of the early 90's VK show where members took flash pictures from the field...not an audio use, but still qualifies (or, as the case may be, disqualifies...) as electronics during a judged DCI show.

I recorded our entire show with a video camera attached to my contra when we marched in judged exhibition at a DCI show...once again, technically a use of electronics that is probably either not addressed or is actively discouraged.

I'm not sure what Lee means by "legally," but he's a lawyer and I'm not, so I'm not going to argue with him. Boston used that there synthesizer at DCI in 1985, and were penalized but not D/Qd for it. In 86 we took the penalty for using a board, mikes and Simmons pads at the first two weekends of DCM competitions (remember DCM? I didn't think so.). We were informally told by DCI that when we got on tour we might be DQd at the whim of the contest director, so we dropped them. I'm assuming by "legally" that Lee means not penalized. LET'S FIND OUT...

Tom is correct with regard to Boston in '85. It was a MOOG synthesizer IIRC, which earned the corps a 2 point penalty.....but Axel F rocked! Did you know that BAC also got penalized in the early '60s for using---get ready for it----mallet instruments??!! And, while the double bass in '67 didn't result in a penalty (as far as I know), there were some strange looks that year.....