2011 SCV

No. This is not supposed to be a positive thread, it is a thread about 2011 SCV. Not everything is positive and believe me, I have said positive things about them. I am more than willing to like them. I do have issues with the turn they have taken in design and how they play their horns. Those are my opinions and I am choosing to voice my it and articulate why. I also have seen a lot of people hyping how they are going to turn on the afterburners at the end and pass a bunch of folks. I don't believe that is the case (far from it) and have choose to articulate why. If you want to start an only positive SCV thread (or an only positive thread for any corps for that matter) you are free to do so, but you will find that people will eventually post things that are not positive OR they wont post at all. People come on here to share opinions. If everyone has the same opinion there would be no reason to even have this site.

Okay, I hear what you're saying, but it's SCV's decision what they want to put on the field and how they play their horns. Maybe they're just going back to being the VANGUARD of the activity, pushing the envelope in horn playing and show design. Ever since 2009, they've taken a new direction, of taking their source music, and putting it straight onto the field instead of chopping it all up, and writing drill that organically works with the music. Instead of being the "Do exactly what everyone else is doing and playing loud"GUARD, they're taking new music, and presenting it in a new and exciting way.

That's just me though, everyone feels different on show design.

• Like 9

Could you expand upon that with some specifics as I do generally respect your opinion. maybe you could help me enjoy this show.

After finally seeing it live last night I was left with the impression that it was a seriously flawed show, starting with the design. The guard gets lost with the lack of color; there is little visual ensemble clarity, it reads as a series of transitions. The horn line gets lost musically, they step on their impacts. There is nothing hum-able to my ears

I felt like I was watching Gail Royer running around the field going 'what happen to my corps, what happened to my big, fat melodies and graceful floating across the field….get me out of here'

Having grown up with Gail Royer (he was my elementary school teacher and knew him till I got drafted) he would be extremely proud of this group of kids. When we first played Procession of the Nobles people said similar things (classical music in drum corps? It's not Bully!). This group of kids have stayed true to the name of the their corps - Vanguard! GO SCV!!!

• Like 2

Maybe if they would stop firing and shaking up the staff every year due to "unsatisfactory results", we might see and hear "greatness" again. Rome was not built in a day. Give the current staff 3 years to actually build (and give the kids 3 years to get used to the staff) and perhaps the design as well as the execution would be better and get the results we want. All I've seen for about the last 10 years of SCV is a huge revolving door. You can't build a championship corps in just one year no matter what your "name" is.

• Like 1

Maybe if they would stop firing and shaking up the staff every year due to "unsatisfactory results", we might see and hear "greatness" again. Rome was not built in a day. Give the current staff 3 years to actually build (and give the kids 3 years to get used to the staff) and perhaps the design as well as the execution would be better and get the results we want. All I've seen for about the last 10 years of SCV is a huge revolving door. You can't build a championship corps in just one year no matter what your "name" is.

I'm really hoping that's the case. Since Fiedler came on, they've been working towards that consistency. I was hoping Andre would stick around, but his leaving was his own choice, and I'm fine with it. But I think adding Clemmer and his guys, keeping Chris Alexander around, adding Rennick, and having Pete and Key stay on the design staff will get SCV where they need to go in the next two to three years. I can hope for a title next year, but if it's not for a few years, that's still okay. As long as SCV gets back to the top. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Yeah, some of the staff leave on their own but that's a whole other issue. I hope we can hang onto at least some of the people mentioned above. There are others that should have been gone a while ago.

Who are you thinking about? WIth Jenifo, Rennick, Clemmer, Chris Alexander, Key Poulan, Jeff Vandekoff, and Jeff and JW at the helm, I don't see anything wrong at SCV that needs to be changed. They have a truly great team, that will push them high very soon if they can keep everyone around.

Nope, not going there. Not here anyway.

Okay, fair enough. Everyone gets their own thoughts on the staff, I'm just happy to see SCV put out a great show, and perform every night. When you consider how many corps have folded over the years, even in the Bay Area, it's so amazing to see SCV still making every Finals in DCI history, and be as successful as they have been.

• Like 1