2011 SCV

yeah, time is running out fast. these dark shows with sophisticated designs oftentimes take longer to come together than the season will allow. happened with scv in 2000...needed another couple of weeks in the pan.

but for 2011, i think that if they can get the brass issues under control, they can get the GE Music score up, too. It's a lot to get done....we'll see.

I still think of 2009,2010, and 2011 together in terms of design philosophy: stay faithful to the brilliant source music, and let weber work his magic visually. the design is wonderful, and i really hope scv sticks with the staff they have right now.

89 to 90 Cadets is a GREAT example. (And I still like the '89 show better than '90).

BTW, I meant last week of July is coming soon when I posted earlier. last week of August is WAY too late.

I was hoping to like the show. After last year, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. But this show, even if clean, isn't going to work for me. Perhaps if they had gone with the theme of, "Welcome to Drum Corps Hell," it might have been more appropriate. Sorry, it's a design issue, and I feel sorry for the kids.

I just really really REALLY hope the show can come together. In all honesty I think that SCV should beat both bluecoats and phantom. That is how good I think the design of the show is. Even BD's visual program isnt where SCV's potential visual program can be at. Seeing SCV in 5th maybe 4th this year would be amazing.

• Like 3

It is amazing that EVERY YEAR, People say the SAME THING...If only if SCV could of executed the show! BULL CRAP!!!

The corps get the same talent, the same average age...the same kind of people that want to be great! It comes down to the design people...

You design for your members, Not JUST FOR YOUR OWN EGOS!!!!

I felt like I was watching Gail Royer running around the field going ‘what happen to my corps, what happened to my big, fat melodies and graceful floating across the field….get me out of here’

Here’s a little history lesson. SCV’s DCI record under GR:

1st 5 times

2nd 6 times

3rd 6 times

4th once

6th once

7th 2 times

One seventh was the year SCV came out with the asymmetrical drill and the judges really didn’t know how to judge it. The other seventh was Gail’s last and SCV’s 25th anniversary. Gail decided to do a show that was part old school and modern. The judges slammed it and the staff had to rewrite major parts of the show and it never got off the ground. As a side note the corps finished 1st at the 1970 American Legion Nationals & 1st at the 1971 VFW Nationals (both pre-DCI).

Since GR retired the corps record:

1st once (a tie)

2nd once

3rd twice

4th 3 times

5th 5 times

6th twice

7th 3 times

8th once

Since Gail’s retirement SCV’s organization has remained solid both structurally and financially. Yet the corps continues to struggle to place in the top three. Certainly the activity has gotten very competitive, but that hasn’t seemed to stop BD or the Cadets. Part of the problem is we have had 5 directors since GR retired. Only two imo were successful. It’s time to bring in (or bring back) someone who can bring the winning attitude back to SCV.

• Like 1

Here’s a little history lesson. SCV’s DCI record under GR:

1st 5 times

2nd 6 times

3rd 6 times

4th once

6th once

7th 2 times

One seventh was the year SCV came out with the asymmetrical drill and the judges really didn’t know how to judge it. The other seventh was Gail’s last and SCV’s 25th anniversary. Gail decided to do a show that was part old school and modern. The judges slammed it and the staff had to rewrite major parts of the show and it never got off the ground. As a side note the corps finished 1st at the 1970 American Legion Nationals & 1st at the 1971 VFW Nationals (both pre-DCI).

Since GR retired the corps record:

1st once (a tie)

2nd once

3rd twice

4th 3 times

5th 5 times

6th twice

7th 3 times

8th once

Since Gail’s retirement SCV’s organization has remained solid both structurally and financially. Yet the corps continues to struggle to place in the top three. Certainly the activity has gotten very competitive, but that hasn’t seemed to stop BD or the Cadets. Part of the problem is we have had 5 directors since GR retired. Only two imo were successful. It’s time to bring in (or bring back) someone who can bring the winning attitude back to SCV.

If there is anyone that can do it, Fielder would be it. He has had the reigns since 2009 right? The corps should be adjusted and should be performing better than they are. It surprises me that they arent doing better than they are to be completely honest.

I was hoping to like the show. After last year, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. But this show, even if clean, isn't going to work for me. Perhaps if they had gone with the theme of, "Welcome to Drum Corps Hell," it might have been more appropriate. Sorry, it's a design issue, and I feel sorry for the kids.

I wouldn't feel sorry for the kids. They are performing one of the most sophisticated, challenging, amazingly-designed shows of this season. They are musicians performing some of the coolest (IMHO), most challenging music out there. They are part of one of the classiest organizations in DCI.

I've spoken to some of them about how much I love their show. Big smiles.....they love it, too! I kinda envy them. :worthy:

• Like 6

SO, they need to bring back Ralph Hardimon, Gordon Henderson, Rick South, etc...? They have JW Koester on staff right now, he's the tour manager, and steps in pretty regularly to handle the motivational stuff along with Myron Rosander.

In terms of the past directors, which do you think were successful? We'll just all pretty that Dr. Len never happened to the corps, and Pearson left kind of a bad taste when he left, so are you think JW and Rick V?

Part of this year's problem is the HUGE amount of rookies. This corps is about 70% new kids, most of whom are new to drum corps completely. After 2009, there was a huge class of age-outs, almost two-thirds of the baritone section, close to half of the trumpets, and a big chunk of the mellophone and tuba sections. That can be a huge hit to a corps, and can take a few years to build back up. Maybe if more kids came to Santa Clara to age-out, instead of trying to rook out at BD like so many do, they wouldn't have some of the problems they do. Just my opinion.

I still think they have the best designed show out there, they really do. If we look at progress from Texas to now, it's a fully different corps in terms of brass performance. Yeah, they're not performing the same as Phantom, or BD, but if SCV stood still and marched slow as much as those two, I would be shocked if they weren't playing perfectly. They picked a very hard show, and set it to extremely hard drill.

It was their own choice, and I haven't met a single kid that hates this show, or is sorry that they're marching it. They all know they're marching in the Santa Clara Vanguard, and that's the most important thing. Getting to wear the aussie and star mean more to most of the kids than anything a judge can say to them on any given night.

• Like 4

Part of this year's problem is the HUGE amount of rookies. This corps is about 70% new kids, most of whom are new to drum corps completely. After 2009, there was a huge class of age-outs, almost two-thirds of the baritone section, close to half of the trumpets, and a big chunk of the mellophone and tuba sections. That can be a huge hit to a corps, and can take a few years to build back up. Maybe if more kids came to Santa Clara to age-out, instead of trying to rook out at BD like so many do, they wouldn't have some of the problems they do. Just my opinion.

So, as a designer you know this pretty far in advance, but you still decide to write an insanely difficult show? Probably their first mistake.

I still think they have the best designed show out there, they really do. If we look at progress from Texas to now, it's a fully different corps in terms of brass performance. Yeah, they're not performing the same as Phantom, or BD, but if SCV stood still and marched slow as much as those two, I would be shocked if they weren't playing perfectly. They picked a very hard show, and set it to extremely hard drill.

They really don't have the best show out there. As I mentioned above, it is too hard for them and that is part of designing. Also, it not effective. Is it intellectual? Yes, but that is only part of it. The trinity of effect is emotional, intelligent, and aesthetic. There is also part of the effect sheet entitled "excellence as effect." Something that SCV is lacking. Is it better than Regiment? Maybe, but it is not as well performed so Regiment gets the edge. Is it better than BD? I don't think so, but even if it was it is not anywhere near as well performed, so BD gets the obvious edge.

It was their own choice, and I haven't met a single kid that hates this show, or is sorry that they're marching it. They all know they're marching in the Santa Clara Vanguard, and that's the most important thing. Getting to wear the aussie and star mean more to most of the kids than anything a judge can say to them on any given night.

Ok. So, if wearing an aussie and a star means that much, why again is 70% of the corps rookies?

Don't get me wrong. I believe that being a part of a corps is a lot more than what the green shirts think. SCV has the Aussie, feathers up, and the star. Cavaliers have gears (among other things). Bluecoats have pennies. The list goes on and on. BUT, while many folks will buy into the traditions of the corps, that is not enough for everyone. Many people come to corps like SCV with the idea in mind that they will get massive audience applause as well as a chance to compete for a championship. If people don't get one (or sometimes both) of those things they are more likely to leave (see your quote about 70% rookies this year). Right or wrong, that is the way it is.

• Like 1

So, as a designer you know this pretty far in advance, but you still decide to write an insanely difficult show? Probably their first mistake.

Ok. So, if wearing an aussie and a star means that much, why again is 70% of the corps rookies?

Don't get me wrong. I believe that being a part of a corps is a lot more than what the green shirts think. SCV has the Aussie, feathers up, and the star. Cavaliers have gears (among other things). Bluecoats have pennies. The list goes on and on. BUT, while many folks will buy into the traditions of the corps, that is not enough for everyone. Many people come to corps like SCV with the idea in mind that they will get massive audience applause as well as a chance to compete for a championship. If people don't get one (or sometimes both) of those things they are more likely to leave (see your quote about 70% rookies this year). Right or wrong, that is the way it is.

The designers had the show designed before auditions even came around, how else were they able to put out music and concepts at the first camp? With drill, you can only guess at the talent level visually of the corps by the time August rolls around.

The corps is 70% rookies because of the huge age-out class, and money. I know many of the people I marched with were forced to take the year off, either for school or work. Most are aging-out next year, so they took the year off before their age-out. Those people include the baritone and mellophone section leader, and multiple veterans. So everyone has reasons for not coming back for a year, and that means a large amount of rookies. There were lots of kids that came in from Phantom, and even a few from Cavaliers, so they're still rookies to Santa Clara.

• Like 2