2011 SCV

They really don't have the best show out there. As I mentioned above, it is too hard for them and that is part of designing. Also, it not effective. Is it intellectual? Yes, but that is only part of it. The trinity of effect is emotional, intelligent, and aesthetic. There is also part of the effect sheet entitled "excellence as effect." Something that SCV is lacking. Is it better than Regiment? Maybe, but it is not as well performed so Regiment gets the edge. Is it better than BD? I don't think so, but even if it was it is not anywhere near as well performed, so BD gets the obvious edge.

At the Minneapolis show, Phantom's rep versus achievement in visual was an 8.1 to 8.0, which is super close, and SCV's was 8.30 to 7.90. So they have lots of room to improve visually over the rest of the season, and visually cleaning, and cleaning the brass line will increase the GE captions too.

All of this is my opinion, whether it's right or wrong. I still think this is one of the best-designed shows out there on the field, and should improve more than enough to move up in the rankings.

• Like 1

The designers had the show designed before auditions even came around, how else were they able to put out music and concepts at the first camp? With drill, you can only guess at the talent level visually of the corps by the time August rolls around.

Yeah but you still have 6 months to alter the show. Every drum corps does it. If that is SCV's excuse, then you will be seeing some new designers in the not so distant future. Also, most corps don't start writing drill until April. That is more than enough time to figure out that you don't have the talent to do a show with tons of simultaneous demand.

The corps is 70% rookies because of the huge age-out class, and money. I know many of the people I marched with were forced to take the year off, either for school or work. Most are aging-out next year, so they took the year off before their age-out. Those people include the baritone and mellophone section leader, and multiple veterans. So everyone has reasons for not coming back for a year, and that means a large amount of rookies. There were lots of kids that came in from Phantom, and even a few from Cavaliers, so they're still rookies to Santa Clara.

Also, the kids you have from the cavaliers were cut from there. The Phantom kids followed Rennick. Either way, it does not strengthen your argument.

Yeah but you still have 6 months to alter the show. Every drum corps does it. If that is SCV's excuse, then you will be seeing some new designers in the not so distant future. Also, most corps don't start writing drill until April. That is more than enough time to figure out that you don't have the talent to do a show with tons of simultaneous demand.

Also, the kids you have from the cavaliers were cut from there. The Phantom kids followed Rennick. Either way, it does not strengthen your argument.

No, the Cavaliers kids came willingly, because the staff at SCV is former Cavies staff members. Horn members behave the same as drummers, they follow instructors too.

I can tell there's no way to try and change your mind, so you have a great season, and enjoy the shows you want to enjoy. I'm going to enjoy SCV's show, and watch it develop this year.

• Like 2

In terms of the past directors, which do you think were successful? We'll just all pretty that Dr. Len never happened to the corps, and Pearson left kind of a bad taste when he left, so are you think JW and Rick V?

Part of this year's problem is the HUGE amount of rookies. This corps is about 70% new kids, most of whom are new to drum corps completely. After 2009, there was a huge class of age-outs, almost two-thirds of the baritone section, close to half of the trumpets, and a big chunk of the mellophone and tuba sections. That can be a huge hit to a corps, and can take a few years to build back up. Maybe if more kids came to Santa Clara to age-out, instead of trying to rook out at BD like so many do, they wouldn't have some of the problems they do. Just my opinion.

I still think they have the best designed show out there, they really do. If we look at progress from Texas to now, it's a fully different corps in terms of brass performance. Yeah, they're not performing the same as Phantom, or BD, but if SCV stood still and marched slow as much as those two, I would be shocked if they weren't playing perfectly. They picked a very hard show, and set it to extremely hard drill.

It was their own choice, and I haven't met a single kid that hates this show, or is sorry that they're marching it. They all know they're marching in the Santa Clara Vanguard, and that's the most important thing. Getting to wear the aussie and star mean more to most of the kids than anything a judge can say to them on any given night.

JW’s record:

5th

3rd

2nd

1st

It should be noted that JW took over an organization that was at its lowest point in its history. The sins of Len are well documented, so I won’t rehash that bit of history. What most people don’t know was in late August of 95, just after tour, the city attorney of Santa Clara declared electronic bingo machines illegal. The machines were a very important part of our overall revenue. In fact we saw our income drop almost 90% just as all the tour bills were due. JW steeped in a huge pile and he managed to improve the corps on the field every year.

Rick’s record:

4th

4th

4th

5th

3rd

8th

Throw out his last year and I would best describe his tenure as consistent.

As a football fan, I believe the sign of a good coach is one that looks at his team’s talent and puts together a game plan that maximizes the team strengths. If, as you say, the corps is young and inexperienced, why give them a difficult program? Wouldn’t something like Martha been more appropriate? My biggest concern is that the corps doesn’t seem to be getting any better. A week ago they were tenths behind PR, now they are points. Not good!

• Like 2

No, the Cavaliers kids came willingly, because the staff at SCV is former Cavies staff members. Horn members behave the same as drummers, they follow instructors too.

Incorrect. There was one kid who joined SCV who marched Cavaliers in the past on July 4th. He was cut from the guard at The cavaliers this year, but is playing mellophone for SCV. I am sure that he is at SCV because of the brass staff that is over there now, but he was definitely cut from The Cavaliers this year.

I can tell there's no way to try and change your mind, so you have a great season, and enjoy the shows you want to enjoy. I'm going to enjoy SCV's show, and watch it develop this year.

I will enjoy all of the shows that entertain me. If SCV cleans up and becomes a little clearer from a design standpoint, I will enjoy them too.

I don't know... there is a lot of floating with that duck step marching that they got from cavaliers...SCV will never march with ball-pivot-hip changes again. That's okay by me.

Glad you like it but it rubs me the wrong way...I also don't like the Cavie "sit & lean" backward technique either as the MMs "shrink" in height.

• Like 1

Glad you like it but it rubs me the wrong way...I also don't like the Cavie "sit & lean" backward technique either as the MMs "shrink" in height.

Hey now! You took two completely different staements and somehow morphed them into a vote of confidence about the cavaliers foot technique.

I think the duck walking thing is hideous! (and yes, I realize it looks good from up top)

Hey now! You took two completely different staements and somehow morphed them into a vote of confidence about the cavaliers foot technique.

I think the duck walking thing is hideous! (and yes, I realize it looks good from up top)

Sorry, I was attempting to comment on the "won't do ball pivot hip changes again and that's okay by me" portion.

Edited by TRacer

I don't know, isn't the current Santa Clara technique pretty close to the old-school Santa Clara technique(mis-to-late 80s?) I've seen some big knee bend on MMs going backwards in those videos, going well into the early 90s as well....