Cadets to Honor "The Uniform" in Special 2011 Ceremony

I dont think the maroon and gold is what makes them the Cadets.

Color is tied to the image of a corps. What if the Blue Devils changed to almond toast, or the Cavaliers became known as the Puce Machine?

Why change it? Because they can. Because they chose to change doesn't mean they don't love what was worn for many years, They think it's time for whatever reason, if it's 1 year or several, it's theirs to decide. Pretty Simple I think

Would like to sit near Guardling at finals.

HH

• Like 1

Even so, he has two options at that point.

1.) Listen to the alumnus (which he's been accused of NOT doing) and organize the ceremony.

or

2.) Don't listen and don't bother with any ceremony.

He would definitely get #### if he chose #2 and the meme of him not listening to the alumni would be drawn out further, so he goes with #1 but is still getting #### for it. Dude can't win.

Would like to sit near chaddyt at finals.

HH

• Like 1

I think that the fact that the uniform is such a defining feature can hold a program back. People have complained about the Cadets looking dated. Their last championship was when they did something wacky to the uniform. Nostalgia is a very powerful emotion, but it will never exist if we dont move on to something new to appreciate the old. I love the Cadets uniform. I will always be fond of it. But, when they bring it back, which they should, it will be WAY more special. I dont think the maroon and gold is what makes them the Cadets. I see what I perceive to be the true Cadet Spirit in ensemble rehearsal, in their horns up, in their horns down, in their technique, in their sound. Just watching them rehearse makes ME excited about hard work and excellence. And I never even marched there.

Would like to sit near DutDutOut at finals.

HH

• Like 1

I call BS. If they announced this ceremony prior to announcing the change to the uniform, people would be just as upset. Do you REALLY think that anyone is surprised by how much drama this caused? That they expected to change the uniform so drastically (maybe), and noone would care? The same people that freak out when the drop sash is made shorter, or the frogs are taken off the piping, or the corps wears guantlets? Is the staff that dumb, that they were blindsided by this? Right...

I know i wasn't surprised by the drama one bit, and I doubt they were either...if anything I expected it to be worse. Had they announced the ceremony first, people would have probably felt cheated and mislead "Ohhh....first they tell us they are going to honor the uniform, and 2 seconds later they take it away...how dare they toy with us like that"

Would like to sit ner euponitone at finals.

HH

• Like 1

I only agree with about half of his suggestions, but I'll never understand the seemingly (to me) irrational hatred George Hopkins receives. 28 seasons. 9 DCI titles. Yet probably 90% of drum corps fans and half of his own alumnus blow a gasket every time he makes a move. Just puzzling to me.

(PS: Vince Lombardi changed the Green Bay Packers' uniforms, too)

Would like to sit near hostrauser at finals.

HH

• Like 1

Okay. But don't you think this idea is different? the way the football team "looks" or the effect generated by their uniform doesn't influence the outcome of the game. For all intents and purposes, I would imagine that a uniform change in DCI can happen for a lot of reasons of which are its effectiveness to the audience as an aspect of entertainment or its effectiveness to judges in scoring Visual GE (which DO influence the outcome of the "game"). I don't know exactly "why" changes to the uniform are being made this year but I think it has more to do with the show than it does about revamping or updating the cadets look.

I just think the reasons for changing a drum corps uniform vary more than the reasons a football team would change their uniform.

About the Uniform Ceremony:

I think it will be a nice moment at the show, especially if passed alumni get to speak about how much the uniform means to them. I just only hope it stays positive and that the ceremony is clouded with bitterness, but I'm sure it will be a very nice moment to reflect on drum corps history.

Would like to sit near charlie1223 at finals.

HH

• Like 1

You mean like if the Blue Stars changed to grayish midnight or something?

Sure; it's the same thing. I remember the moans and groans when that happened as well as the complaints about last year's uniform.

You mean like if the Blue Stars changed to grayish midnight or something? ...:ph34r:... :lookaround:

Exactly.

Some Corps " tradition " ( Phantom Regiment comes to mind ) change the predominent colors every few years . Perhaps, the Blue Stars will do likewise now over the years. But some Corps, like the Cadets, go back even before the formation of DCI with their Cadet style uninform. In the case of Cadets, their cadet style uniform has remained essentially unchanged since the 1930's. There is a difference here it would seem to me that can be readily understood. If one looks at the Cadets Cadet style uniform from this decade to that of the 1930's it is essentially unchanged. Whether the Corps change this year will look like a traditional " uniform " or fall into the conventionally understood " costume " realm of attire for this summer will be known shortly.

Edited by BRASSO