Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone in corps

Except, sousaphones always suck.

Trombones can be great instruments, just not in a Drum Corps setting. Sousaphones will always suck. I remember PR having to resort to using a high school's sousas because they ran out of corps tubas to use.

Well, those plastic things are horrible, but the brass or silver plated ones are fine for marching band, just not needed in drum corps.

Just like trombone's aren't really needed in drum corps ( they are great instruments, i agree).

...and what a bari line that was!!! If any bari player in the history of the activity showed that you can pull off an oustanding trombone-like solo with a marching bari it is the guy from your line that solo'd in Everybody Loves the Blues in 1983. Best drum corps bari solo of all time!

I'd be against a trombone even as a pit soloist. It is a slipperly slope upon which we are already sliding.

That was Eric Shedeine... He was a rookout... That is the trouble with being a section leader in BD... There is always some guy who didn't pay his dues with the corps that happened by for the season and he is better than you! They had to scramble and give me this little Soprano solo in OMTCC to make me happy! :devil:

Edited by Big Bad Bari

What about timbre? Trombones have a much brighter timbre than baritones/euphoniums, and with the current trend toward "dark" sounding hornlines it sounds like excluding trombones would be a natural step.

What about timbre? Trombones have a much brighter timbre than baritones/euphoniums, and with the current trend toward "dark" sounding hornlines it sounds like excluding trombones would be a natural step.

Dark has been around forever. Trumpets have a brighter timbre than cornets. Why not just have a bunch of cornets and flugels instead of trumpets? tongue.gif

Actually, that may be awesome! I think trombones can get a plenty dark sound, but I would rather see tromboniums in corps, and trombones in marching band.

but I would rather see tromboniums in corps, and trombones in marching band.

I just want whatever sounds best and looks best for a corps depending on what they are trying to achieve. The difference between tromboniums and trombones is so minimal imo that we shouldn't relegate one instrument to a particular group. If a trombone works well for a particular "moment" then use a trombone, if a trombonium works well for a particular "moment" then use a trombonium. I'm just looking for entertainment and the mere "presence" of a trombone doesn't make it immediately un-entertaining for me.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I am not saying that it should or should not be used in drum corps all I am saying is can you imagine if back in 1983 When Eric Schedin played in the Everybody Loves the Blues Duet in the Blue Devils, can you imagine what that would have sounded like if he was playing his regular instrument? The guy was a god on baritone and that wasn't his regular horn! :worthy:

No, trombones shouldn't HAVE to learn bari or euph. You could learn mello if you wanted to challenge yourself since learning bari is easy for a trombone player (especially since they're not keyed in G anymore). Or if you want to be a Jack Wagon and insist that drum corps meet you 100% of the way instead of you taking some initiative, then yeah, drum corps should use trombones.