Hop's Alumni Tour 2011

I didn't know about this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Boo.

I think what Hop is doing is a great idea. After all, drum corps is basically a co-ed college fraternity. They have regional alumni chapters, why shouldn't we? It will be a great way for alumni to get together (relatively) easily, and I'm sure the corps proper will notice a financial impact, as well!

Indeed...i havent gone to an alumni gathering since 2009's 75th aniv celebration in allentown (tho living in europe and marching dca has something to do with that)...but i might try and swing this...

As far as I know, this tour has been on the books for quite a while...way before the uniform drama. Will that stop the speculation regarding motive?...probably not, but I thought I'd throw it out there... :lookaround:

Well, if it's true as you say ( and we'd have no reason to believe otherwise )that GH's TOA ( Tour of Alums )was to take place AFTER the decision to scrap the Cadets uniform of 75 years for reportedly just this year, I think it's reasonable to assume that GH made possibly a huge mistake here in timimg. Clearly, I think we'd all agree that if GH was going to change the Cadets uniform for this season, that he might have been better served communicating this decision to the Alums at the TOA that is apout to occur. Otherwise, some people might conclude that this TOA that was just announced to the public is really more like a CYA,... if you get my drift. I think it's appropriate for GH to make this TOA because many of them have been long time Donors to the Corps, and it's not good to bite the hand that feeds you. So from that perspective anyway, this just announced TOA by GH does makes sense.

Edited by BRASSO

I know quite a few Cadet's Alumni and they were already quite well connected with each other ( and in many parts of the nation ) , if it were anyone else but GH I would think it is a great idea - but IMHO time and again this type of proposal translates to a bid for free labor or alumni donations.

What Hopkins is up to isn't mystery, just misery...

HH

Since their sole purpose is to ruin everyone's life, this is actually just part of a gigantic secret plot by the G-8 to pour sugar in everyone's gas tanks. :ph34r::rolleyes:

Well, if it's true as you say ( and we'd have no reason to believe otherwise )that the Cadets TOA ( Tour of Alums )was to take place AFTER the decision to scrap the Cadets uniform of 75 years, I think it's reasonable to assume that GH made possibly a huge mistake here in timimg. Clearly, I think we'd all agree here that it if GH was going to change the Cadets uniform for this season, that he might have been better served communicating this decision to the Alums BEFORE they heard this info in this TOA that is abpout to occur. Otherwise, some people might conclude that this TOA that was just announced to the public is really more like a CYA,... if you get my drift. I think it's appropriate for GH to make this TOA because many of them have been long time Donors to the Corps, and it's not good to bite the hand that feeds you. So from that perspective anyway, this TOA by GH does makes sense.

This Chicken vs Egg Debate is pointless. The uniform discussions have surely been ongoing for 3 or 4 months, and I'm guessing the alumni gatherings have been planned for a while as well. Even George Hopkins, the creator of drum corps, and the answer to questions such as "what is the meaning of life?" and "what is 2+2?" can not simply wave his hand and create reservations for conference rooms in hotels to fit a tightly scheduled east coast business trip.... Why can people just accept the fact that the folks that are angry about the uniform changing were going to be angry about it either way, regardless of what the proverbial headline was when the story broke...

Edited by euponitone
  • Like 4

Free Labor? You mean, volunteering?...the backbone of just about every corps...not just the cadets? It's amusing how you make it sound dirty... Every corps asks for volunteers, but he is putting himself out there in front of the alumni, where he at least runs the risk of taking a beating. If anything, it would be easier (and more beneficial as far as soliciting donations / volunteering) if they didn't send george, but i'm guessing he's the man people want to see....

Free labor not in the sense of volunteers for The Cadets tour and sponsored contests , but for the cash cow of yeaH - the USSBA.

Free labor not in the sense of volunteers for The Cadets tour and sponsored contests , but for the cash cow of yeaH - the USSBA.

If the band circuit is what makes the money, and a lot of the profits go to helping get the cadets down the road, then does it really matter?

As an alum, i've been asked many times to work such events, and I've never felt cheated or exploited... sorry if you feel otherwise

• Like 3

Why can people just accept the fact that the folks that are angry about the uniform changing were going to be angry about it either way, regardless of what the proverbial headline was when the story broke...

I do agree that the people who are angry after learning of the decision to scrap the uniform for this year would've probably have been upset either way. I 'm just saying that perhaps GH might have in retrospect gotten the Alums input ( and pulse ) with at least a semblance of their concerns heard before he made his decision. But if he thinks it made sense to make the uniform change without their knowledge or input, then that's his decision and alums will have to decide for themselves if they're ok with this decision , and will continue to support the Corps with their dollars. Either way, it'll no doubt turn out to be a learning experience for both GH and the Alums, I 'd imagine. In that sense too, the TOA has another benefit it would seem to me.

...Otherwise, some people might conclude that this TOA that was just announced to the public is really more like a CYA,... if you get my drift...

I get your drift. Allow me to offer an alternate hypothesis, one that you might actually agree with (even though it might upset the digestion on much of DCP). Here it is:

Possibly, just possibly, not every Cadet alum is an idiot. Indeed, probably, very probably, most of them are not. Most Cadet alums while sharing a profound affection for the uniform they wore understand the challenge to balance tradition and innovation. Most surely appreciate the corps for what it is rather than what it's not. They understand a corps like the Cadets at times will push boundaries, including theirs. They accept that not everything that transpires can meet the individual expectations of a group so large, diverse and interested.

Though these alums might be included in the DCP insurgency, they most definitely are not defined by it, which is good. Many have revealed the embarrassment they felt from the loudmouth malcontents who shamed the corps and their fellow alums by their impertinently public comments on Facebook.

As such, many alums in all these place will be glad that Hopkins is reaching out as he is. Many won’t find nefarious motives in the timing. Many will be glad this corps cares enough to facilitate what they could, and perhaps should, have done already. Many will admire that, whatever the context, this leader has the courage of his convictions to meet them eye to eye.

That’s what I think.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 6

I do agree that the people who are angry after learning of the decision to scrap the uniform for this year would've probably have been upset either way. I 'm just saying that perhaps GH might have in retrospect gotten the Alums input ( and pulse ) with at least a semblance of their concerns heard before he made his decision. But if he thinks it made sense to make the uniform change without their knowledge or input, then that's his decision and alums will have to decide for themselves if they're ok with this decision , and will continue to support the Corps with their dollars. Either way, it'll no doubt turn out to be a learning experience for both GH and the Alums, I 'd imagine. In that sense too, the TOA has another benefit it would seem to me.

What you say might make sense, except i would bet a pretty penny that hop already had a feel of the 'pulse' of the alumni, remembering that he has considered drastically changing the uniform before (but backed off), and did so in 05/06. Additionally, the reaction from certain quarters has been documented and predictable for every other minor uniform change, so I'm not sure that 'asking' the alumni if they were ok with it would have been productive. I maybe would have liked to know a little earlier, but other than that, I cant really see much reason to do things differently...

• Like 2