Hop's Alumni Tour 2011

Madison Scouts were founded in 1938. The Cadets were founded in 1934. Racine Scouts were founded in 1927 and are the oldest continuously-operating drum corps in America.

Actually, the oldest continously running " Drum Corps " is the " Berlin ( Fife ) and Drum Corps " from Berlin, Pennsylvania that has been in operation since 1782. The term " Drum and Bugle Corps " is no longer applicable under the connventionally understood and accepted version of " Bugle ". Since DCI " Drum Corps " now use a woodwind in pre show performances, ( also I& E ), and a " flute " is most assuredly a " woodwind " instrument, we need to assign rightful ownership to the title of " oldest, continually running " Drum Corps " now and in the future to the Berlin " Drum Corps " from Berlin, Pennsylvania. To be sure, there is a difference between ( for example ) the Blue Devils Drum Corps and the Berlin Drum Corps, but we could say the same thing about ( for example ) the Teal Sound Drum Corps and the Marine Corps Drum Corps as well. The fact is, the genre is more alike than not now. so I think it only appropriate for accuracy sake to assign the oldest continuously running " Drum Corps " in America mantle now to it's rightful owner... the Berlin, Pa. " Drum Corps ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Actually, the oldest continously running " Drum Corps " is the " Berlin ( Fife ) and Drum Corps " from Berlin, Pennsylvania that has been in operation since 1782. The term " Drum and Bugle Corps " is no longer applicable under the connventionally understood and accepted version of " Bugle ". Since DCI " Drum Corps " now use a woodwind in pre show performances, ( also I& E ), and a " flute " is most assuredly a " woodwind " instrument, we need to assign rightful ownership to the title of " oldest, continually running " Drum Corps " now and in the future to the Berlin " Drum Corps " from Berlin, Pennsylvania. To be sure, there is a difference between ( for example ) the Blue Devils Drum Corps and the Berlin Drum Corps, but we could say the same thing about ( for example ) the Teal Sound Drum Corps and the Marine Corps Drum Corps as well. The fact is, the genre is more alike than not now. so I think it only appropriate for accuracy sake to assign the oldest continuously running " Drum Corps " in America mantle now to it's rightful owner... the Berlin, Pa. " Drum Corps ".

To those of us on DCP and in the seats at DCI shows, when we hear the term "drum corps," we're still going to think of the units on the field that utilize brass, percussion and guards. I imagine someone whose life is wrapped up in drum and fife corps would have something different pop into their head when they speak of going to a Revolutionary War-era re-creation. But they can get their own forum board and leave DCP to us. Of course, we'd love to have them amongst our membership rolls as well, but we're not going to think drum and fife corps when we say "drum corps" just to appease them.

Therefore, the oldest continously running drum corps in America is the Racine Scouts. When I'm chatting with friends who are wrapped up in drum and fife corps, I'll be sure to mention I appreciation that the oldest continuously running drum corps in America is the Berlin unit. Then I'll wait for them to pat me on the back and buy me a beer.

• Like 4

To those of us on DCP and in the seats at DCI shows, when we hear the term "drum corps," we're still going to think of the units on the field that utilize brass, percussion and guards. I imagine someone whose life is wrapped up in drum and fife corps would have something different pop into their head when they speak of going to a Revolutionary War-era re-creation. But they can get their own forum board and leave DCP to us. Of course, we'd love to have them amongst our membership rolls as well, but we're not going to think drum and fife corps when we say "drum corps" just to appease them.

Therefore, the oldest continously running drum corps in America is the Racine Scouts. When I'm chatting with friends who are wrapped up in drum and fife corps, I'll be sure to mention I appreciation that the oldest continuously running drum corps in America is the Berlin unit. Then I'll wait for them to pat me on the back and buy me a beer.

Here you go Michael! :guinesssmilie:

• Like 1

Madison Scouts were founded in 1938. The Cadets were founded in 1934. Racine Scouts were founded in 1927 and are the oldest continuously-operating drum corps in America.

I think the Govenaires also date back to 1927.

• Like 1

I think the Govenaires also date back to 1927.

You are correct. The " oldest competing Drum Corps in the world " (that would fit accurately anyway with the interest here of " Drum Corps Planet " posters that specifically revolves around Drum and Brass Corps) are The Governairs Drum Corps from Saint Peter, Minnesota, NOT the Racine Scouts. If we are splitting hairs however, then it seems to me that the "CONTINUOUSLY competing Drum Corps " as poster Michael Boo alluded to above, may indeed be the Racine Scouts. The Scouts from Racine, Wisconsin ( not to be confused with the Madison Scouts ) have continuously competed since 1927. This is my historical understanding. I 'm not so sure if the Governairs Drum Corps can make that claim. Perhaps someone from the Corps ( or someone else )can tell us. Otherwise poster Michael Boo indeed has it historically accurate in so far as the Racine Scouts are concerned.

It is interesting to note, that if the G-8 proposal was adopted as proposed this past year, the 84 year reign of the Racine Scouts Drum Corps would end.

Now back to GH's TOA ( Tour of Alums ) discussion.........

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Just a thought here.

Shouldn't this be "The Cadets Tour of Alumni" as opposed to "George Hopkins' Tour of Alumni"

It makes it sound (at least to me) that George Hopkins has placed himself above the Cadets.

Just a thought here.

Shouldn't this be "The Cadets Tour of Alumni" as opposed to "George Hopkins' Tour of Alumni"

It makes it sound (at least to me) that George Hopkins has placed himself above the Cadets.

I don't know...' sounds like you're splitting hairs here. GH is the Corps Director. It's appropriate to name it his " tour ". He's the one going, right ? No underling is going in his behalf as the chief speaker from The Cadets to the alum groups. I see no reason to be critical of the name here.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I think it only appropriate for accuracy sake to assign the oldest continuously running "Drum Corps" in America mantle now to its rightful owner... the Berlin, Pa. "Drum Corps."

Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

I don't know...' sounds like you're splitting hairs here. GH is the Corps Director. It's appropriate to name it his " tour ". He's the one going, right ? No underling is going in his behalf as the chief speaker from The Cadets to the alum groups. I see no reason to be critical of the name here.

I seem to have misunderstood about this. If it is just Mr. Hopkins going out there, than I'm fine with that. No disrespect was intended.

• Like 2

I think it's a great idea. give him credit, he isn't one to hide

• Like 1