Hop's Alumni Tour 2011

What's that? Some kind of new Pong machine? Boy, I need to catch up.

Pong is so 1972 and does anyone think it's a coincidence it was released the year DCI was founded? Being a man of the times, I'm more into Pac-Man. I pretend I play it with my Tamagotchi virtual pet.

• Like 1

Oh, I wouldn't even go so far as to say the two things are unrelated...i'm just responding to anyone who thinks that this tour is the staff 'covering their #####' because they were somehow stunned by the reaction and now have to scramble to deal with it...

Also, I keep hearing reference to a 'non cadet style' uniform. I'm going to laugh when it winds up being nearly the exact same uni as any other year (no insider knowledge, but I wouldnt rule it out...)

It's ALL speculation here, just as you said. Who knows, maybe The Cadets go with some costume, but at Semi Finals or what have you they incorporate a visual show change where they incorporate a change from their season long costumes and unveil the cadet style uniform into the show, and it gives The Cadets just the few extra tenths to push them over the top, as the crowd leaps to it's feet in loud and supportive cheers for this " change " at the end.

Then again..... maybe not. Like we've said, it's all speculation at this juncture.

Edited by BRASSO

You realize that this information leaked from an Alumni meeting in Norther NJ right? Those alumni had a right to know what was going on, they were probably asked not to communicate the information to the outside, but you know how things go...

Well, you ( or I) really don't know WHAT the Cadets Alums were asked to do or not do regarding the info that they received at the meeting. We can certainly speculate that " they probably were asked not to communicate the info to the public ( but disregarded that request ),just as easily as saying that the Alums had no such request demanded of them at the meeting, and even if it was requested, they would have gone public with this change of uniform info anyway. If The Cadets alums were asked not to go public with the info, you are stating that one or more of alums breached that faith and confidentially. However, you... to my knowledge... are making such an accusation of a breach of confidentially without any evidence whatsoever. Then again, one can speculate that they did breach the confidentially requested. But we really don't know this to be the case at this juncture it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

OK - Coffee on the keyboard! "give two poops about" - I'm going to use that. :thumbup:

Royalties must be paid.

Sorry bud. Times are tough. Nothing's for free.

:smile:

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

It's no secret I have been one of Hop's more vocal critics going back to the RAMD days.

That said, I think this is a great idea. Sure being the lightning rod he can be, it could lead to some...um...interesting...meetings. But I think it's a great idea to not just hit them via email or mailers, but to go out and be there and talk face to face.

• Like 2

Pong is so 1972 and does anyone think it's a coincidence it was released the year DCI was founded? Being a man of the times, I'm more into Pac-Man. I pretend I play it with my Tamagotchi virtual pet.

Please. Centipede rules!

:tongue:

• Like 1

I just received an e-mail about what is billed as "Hop's Alumni Tour 2011," describing how George Hopkins is taking several days to travel to four locations in order to open alumni chapters in four locations.

As corps alums spread out across the country, this seems like a brilliant idea to keep them connected and I can only guess such chapters could spread across the country. Hop's tour will be taking him to meet alums in the Boston area, Philadelphia/South Jersey, Northern Virginia/Metro DC and the Atlanta region.

I realize some might say this is an effort to mitigate some of the alumni reaction to news about the possible uniform changes, but it's still a pretty cool thing to do to provide outreach to alums that live away from the corps' base.

If you know of any other corps that do the same sort of coordinated effort, please let us know.

It might be something worth considering for DCP to have an alumni forum where alums from all corps could have a place to learn about alumni meetings and other alumni news. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I marched in a DCA championship corps with a long and storied history, a corps that is currently trying to get back on the competition field... but the corps' various eras have been fragmented at times, to the point where it is tough to get a sizable group of alums together to do anything.... whether it is helping out the current version of the corps, or just getting together to celebrate "our times" with the corps.

An outreach to alums in other parts of the country/world, I think, can only help the Cadets establish an even more solid alumni base for their organization. Solid alumni support is a good thing, for any organization that is trying to survive in tough times and thrive in better times.

I know quite a few Cadet's Alumni and they were already quite well connected with each other ( and in many parts of the nation ) , if it were anyone else but GH I would think it is a great idea - but IMHO time and again this type of proposal translates to a bid for free labor or alumni donations.

This post is petty.

While this is a good idea for the Cadets, I would be surprised to see other corps do this. Does any corps have as many alumni as the Cadets? And how many of them have a director that just happens to be traveling to these various locations on other business anyway?

Perhaps other corps with significant alumni populations could arrange get-togethers that coincide with their summer tour appearances. (Maybe some already do.)

Are the Cadets the old drum corps in DCI right now?

• Like 1

I think Scouts might be older.

Madison Scouts were founded in 1938. The Cadets were founded in 1934. Racine Scouts were founded in 1927 and are the oldest continuously-operating drum corps in America.