Hello, not really familiar with drum corps but might audition in 2012.

From lurking the past few days and seeing the main theme of the threads, I'm sure you guys are gonna love this. tongue.gif

I was in marching band for 4 years at a HS in Alabama and now I'm going to college for finance. I marched Bass Guitar in the pit and I'm big into blues and jazz bass. I gig with a bluesy folksy band (think Sufjan Stevens + Dave Matthews Band + RHCP) and did bass and a little banjo and harmonica. Anywho, I've been doing some jazz combo stuff with some music majors and one of them introduced me to DCI. I'm pretty awestruck. I mean, Alabama had marching bands like Hoover that did BoA stuff but I didn't ever see anything more intense than that.

So I'm hooked. Bought my Fan Network subscription this morning and haven't really left my computer monitor all day. I know they don't place very well but I'm really digging the way Teal Sound is so out of left field with their stuff. Spirit sounds like a lot of fun, enjoyed hearing an arrangement of Dust in the Wind on the field that isn't some AA Alabama marching band. And the Cadets are stealing my heart, This I Believe was goosebump city.

I really wanna march Bass for a corps next summer, so I can get the cash together to make a legit attempt at it. My question is, what corps are using basses in the pit? I noticed they're pretty new because I didn't see them in the 07 or 08 videos and I still don't see them in some of the Top 12's pits. So what corps are set on basses?

Also, is there any place I can happen to find some audition material/warmups/music that these guys are playing? I'm pretty confident in my ability but I wanna see what I'm getting myself into. If I'm gonna sit there playing nothing but little dinky walking lines or the occasional syncopated bass line, then I'm not sure if it'll totally be worth my time. But if I'm getting into some serious literature, I am all in to that. And does anyone know how many show up for auditions on bass? I've not seen more than 1 bass in the pit, so I'm sure it's pretty competitive right? And one last question, do they give you your bass for the summer or am I expected to bring mine? I love my Fender Jazz, but a summer of corps sounds like it'd beat it up pretty bad.

Looking forward to this summer and seeing my first live show!

• Like 7

First let me say welcome. Some of the people here may seem grouchy about the subject you are bringing up but don't let that bother you. As far as auditioning for a corps goes, I'm not sure who (if anyone) is using a bass player in their pit. BUT I am good friends with someone on staff at Teal Sound and I'd be more than happy to get in touch with him for ya. Send me a PM and we can discuss this further!

• Like 2

(I am against electronics in DCI, but I'll try to give a response if it were me trying out on bass)

Honestly as far as "serious literature" goes you'd probably be better off staying home and playing other stuff.

It's not that drum corps doesn't play "serious" music, it's just that a bass guitar in a drum corps arrangement will probably not be featured very much with intricate parts during the show. Show/music design will probably have the biggest effect on how your music is presented during the show. I'm betting it won't be too exciting, but really anything is possible.

And also, that's not to say it's impossible to have a blast being in a corps! I mean, hell, I was tempted to try out for Madison Scouts on synth and I HATE electronics in DCI

---

And if you want to find a home that's a little more welcoming, I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend looking up WGI Drumline units near you. (Winter Guard International).

http://www.wgi.org/

It's a winter circuit, but it's far more welcoming than DCI to Bass Guitars while keeping the same basic atmosphere of performances.

• Like 1

So I'm hooked. Bought my Fan Network subscription this morning and haven't really left my computer monitor all day. I know they don't place very well but I'm really digging the way Teal Sound is so out of left field with their stuff. Spirit sounds like a lot of fun, enjoyed hearing an arrangement of Dust in the Wind on the field that isn't some AA Alabama marching band. And the Cadets are stealing my heart, This I Believe was goosebump city.

I really wanna march Bass for a corps next summer, so I can get the cash together to make a legit attempt at it. My question is, what corps are using basses in the pit? I noticed they're pretty new because I didn't see them in the 07 or 08 videos and I still don't see them in some of the Top 12's pits. So what corps are set on basses?

Also, is there any place I can happen to find some audition material/warmups/music that these guys are playing? I'm pretty confident in my ability but I wanna see what I'm getting myself into. If I'm gonna sit there playing nothing but little dinky walking lines or the occasional syncopated bass line, then I'm not sure if it'll totally be worth my time. But if I'm getting into some serious literature, I am all in to that. And does anyone know how many show up for auditions on bass? I've not seen more than 1 bass in the pit, so I'm sure it's pretty competitive right? And one last question, do they give you your bass for the summer or am I expected to bring mine? I love my Fender Jazz, but a summer of corps sounds like it'd beat it up pretty bad.

Welcome to drum corps! Don't worry about some of the stuff you'll hear on here about electronic instruments. There are plenty of people who support what you're doing and the music you will eventually offer to the DCI stage! You are right that basses are fairly knew to drum corps. In fact the corps that is leading the way in electronics in this new age is Teal Sound. They are leaps and bounds ahead of other corps who experiment with electronic instruments. If you wanted to play bass they would probably be more than happy to have you audition.

A large majority of the corps haven't entirely found the need to use an electric bass but who knows what corps will be looking for come the 2012 season. That being said it will be hard to find bass practice music or sheet music for drum corps. The best thing to do is to contact Spirit, Teal Sound, etc. all the corps you are interested in ask questions about basses in the pit and your possible interest. Just an e-mail to the organization asking for some information can get you far.

And as someone mentioned before you would be REALLY interested in Indoor Drumline/ WGI percussion. Local indoor drumlines definitely use basses in the pit and the music is generally more difficult than drum corps because the main focus is on percussion and not everything else. I highly recommend poking around wgi.org and finding local groups to show your interest.Best of luck!

Edited by charlie1223

they will provide you with the instrument I'm sure, just like they provide all the other members with their instruments as well. (this is not meant to be snarky... but if you didn't know, the drum corps provide all the instruments for the members)

And the Cadets are stealing my heart, This I Believe was goosebump city.

:doh:

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2

:doh:

to be fair, I would have left it, but he opened with "I'm sure you guys will love this" so I had to do it... lol

to the OP - you will need to watch audition announcements when they come out in the fall, or you can just email all the corps and ask if they will have a spot for the instrument you are looking for

From lurking the past few days and seeing the main theme of the threads, I'm sure you guys are gonna love this. tongue.gif

I was in marching band for 4 years at a HS in Alabama and now I'm going to college for finance. I marched Bass Guitar in the pit and I'm big into blues and jazz bass. I gig with a bluesy folksy band (think Sufjan Stevens + Dave Matthews Band + RHCP) and did bass and a little banjo and harmonica. Anywho, I've been doing some jazz combo stuff with some music majors and one of them introduced me to DCI. I'm pretty awestruck. I mean, Alabama had marching bands like Hoover that did BoA stuff but I didn't ever see anything more intense than that.

your best bet would be emailing some corps staff (pitt staff? corps director? design team?) in late august and september letting them know that youre interested.

They dont know if they will need a bass player until the show design is to a certain point, but you showing your interest can definitely put the thought in their head.

• Like 1

Welcome to drums corps!!!!! :thumbup:

May I suggest Marimba lessons? :tongue:

• Like 3

(I am against electronics in DCI, but I'll try to give a response if it were me trying out on bass)

Honestly as far as "serious literature" goes you'd probably be better off staying home and playing other stuff.

It's not that drum corps doesn't play "serious" music, it's just that a bass guitar in a drum corps arrangement will probably not be featured very much with intricate parts during the show. Show/music design will probably have the biggest effect on how your music is presented during the show. I'm betting it won't be too exciting, but really anything is possible.

And also, that's not to say it's impossible to have a blast being in a corps! I mean, hell, I was tempted to try out for Madison Scouts on synth and I HATE electronics in DCI

---

And if you want to find a home that's a little more welcoming, I'd HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend looking up WGI Drumline units near you. (Winter Guard International).

http://www.wgi.org/

It's a winter circuit, but it's far more welcoming than DCI to Bass Guitars while keeping the same basic atmosphere of performances.

Disregard. Only someone who has not marched drum corps or had a poor experience in drum corps could NOT recommend drum corps. Though it's easy to see from the consumer side of the house; the music is the visible product.

Welcome to drum corps! Whether you play ridiculous literature or "drum corps music," the real experience will trump that by far! Contact corps staff - explain your situation and express your willingness and openness to learn!

• Like 2