Onyx

It's sad...

you can't win.

Some groups laugh and have a great time during retreat and are called "unprofessional" and "childish".

Onyx's kids stand still and act stoically and are called names as well.

It's very sad, but true- you can't please everyone, so you need to be true to yourself (or your organization).

If you were there in person, you'd have seen that after the awards were handed out, Onyx WAS congratulation the other guards, and were laughing and having a great time. It was obvious that many of them were proud for having received a medal.

And then the confetti struck! Party time! :-)

• Like 8

i understand that onyx is trying to make the audience "think more" but i would have enjoyed more equipment work as an ensemble. i mean, this is winterguard international world championships, not the national dance association championships. just my opinion.

• Like 4

i understand that onyx is trying to make the audience "think more" but i would have enjoyed more equipment work as an ensemble. i mean, this is winterguard international world championships, not the national dance association championships. just my opinion.

I agree. I don't recall ever seeing more than 15 people with equipment in their hands at any given time....... random running, random tossing, random cellophane.... While Onyx's show was not to my liking, I recently found out that Michael Lentz designed South Shore's show. My hat's off to him for that one. It was one of my favorite show's of the whole weekend.

• Like 2

I rather see a guard standing still with arms crossed during retreat then almost getting my eyes poked out by corona's paper airplanes.

You know you're doing something right when your causing this much controversy.

Great Job Onyx!

Edited by snrtobass
  • Like 6

I rather see a guard standing still with arms crossed during retreat then almost getting my eyes poked out by corona's paper airplanes.

You know you're doing something right when your causing this much controversy.

Great Job Onyx!

Was the confetti a huge inconvenience to you as well?

Edited by RiseUP79
  • Like 2

The funny thing is that while it was happening I thought Onyx was being really rude.....and then I was looking at some old photos of retreat and realized that not so long ago it was the norm for all guards to stand at attention.

I think what made people uncomfortable with Onyx at retreat was not that they were at attention....it was the smug disgusted looks on their faces.

• Like 3

I agree. I don't recall ever seeing more than 15 people with equipment in their hands at any given time....... random running, random tossing, random cellophane.... While Onyx's show was not to my liking, I recently found out that Michael Lentz designed South Shore's show. My hat's off to him for that one. It was one of my favorite show's of the whole weekend.

He also designed Emanon's show, as well as a few others that made finals in other classes. :smile:

• Like 2

Okay, after just going through and reading this post I have a couple things to say. First, I have never been in guard, I spun a rifle once and dropped it, but it was a big toss!!! So therefor I won't be commenting on guard technique or anything like that, no worries. But here is what I will talk about.

TKYR_FA1986,in the bottom post you say "I've decided to no longer make negative comments about this show"

I would love to know what you found amazing it about it? You say you have never paid attention to WGI before so to what are you comparing it?

I've decided to no longer make negative comments about this show, but I will say, I would be ###### if I were a member/staff of the guards in 3rd, or 4th place.

Yet, I guess you changed your mind? And made three more?

That's what I don't understand; why are they rewarding it and what are they saying to the other groups who actually have an equipment book consisting of spinning, tossing, and moving as a unit. I would love to know the number of people who were in Onyx that CAN NOT spin equipment at all or on a World Class level.

This one was especially disheartening considering you did take a direct stab at the members “I would love to know the number of people who were in Onyx that CAN NOT spin equipment at all or on a World Class level.”

I noticed it, and I didn't find it surprising. It's like that saying "when a person tells a lie often enough, they start to believe it themselves," I think Onyx truly believes they are high art and were quite shocked when everyone didn't feel the same. It was a big "how dare you not recognize that what you have before you is a work of art" look. This is just my opinion, however.

^ and again here, although not so blatant, you call out their integrity as if every last one of them are arrogant.

And...I will most certainly blame the performers as well...these are ADULT World Class performers. They have choices regarding how they act in regards to sportsmanship. I had and still have an unsavory bitter taste about the whole subject of Onyx...that's why I stood up and walked out when they walked into the arena. MY OPINION, MY CHOICE.

Scott Markham

Amen.

Our young performers in the activity watch the actions of the ADULTS in the WORLD CLASS; they aspire to spin, perform, and often act as their role models do. The actions of Onyx in retreat and their director (pretty much always) are personally repulsive to me and I'm embarrassed and ashamed (as a lover of the colorguard) they made that choice.

Scott Markham

Let's talk about sportsmanship and maturity...since this IS the WORLD CLASS and the people our younger performers are looking up to.

Re: your argument that Onyx took their 'character' in retreat; you believe their show depicted someone who was cold, bitter, and not really humble at all to be receiving one of the highest honors in our activity??? Well...that's how I read them too...which is why I WALKED OUT when they performed. Negative energy on top of arrogance doesn't inspire or interest me.

Best wishes...

Scott Markham

^ Does this mean you step out of the room every time there is a show about people breaking up, or dying? I believe at least half the shows out there emote a negative energy, correct me if I am wrong.

The above three^ Yes they are adults and they can choose what to do, however I don’t think anyone with a head on their shoulders is going to disobey their director, especially if they want a spot the following season, even if they don’t, why would you defy your director anyway?

OMG OMG I saw that and thought, pretentious much...! We are a sport first... HAHA or at least entertainment..! The directors can be considered "artists" but the guard group isn't an artist!

Question… Are you just pointing out that the group as a whole can’t be an artist, like Onyx is not an artist? Or are you saying that the individual performers are not artists? Because although it’s a different world, when I marched DCI and I most certainly considered myself an artist. Please clarify :rolleyes:

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 4