Saying goodbye to Serenade in Brass

Sorry to say this, but Barbara and I attended our last Serenade in Brass last year.

We are not going to be able to make the trip this time.

Such is life.

the sound may not be great, but I can arrange a call from the back of the stage around, oh 9:40 or so

:devil:

Sorry to hear Fran... we'll be thinking of you two.... Take care and do what needs to be done.

Sorry to say this, but Barbara and I attended our last Serenade in Brass last year.

We are not going to be able to make the trip this time.

Such is life.

Fran, I am recording the show and I will make sure you and Barbara will get a copy of the CD. My love to you both !

Fran, I am recording the show and I will make sure you and Barbara will get a copy of the CD. My love to you both !

(cough) ahem (cough)

funny,.............I had that same frog in my throat when I read this earlier,..........

I know where Boomer lives, so I can cough outside their door :tongue:

Just stumbled on this thread.....where to begin....ok....1978:

My first experience of Drum Corps was joining the Hershey Chocolatiers the previous September/October...I was given a schedule of practices, and upcoming performances...a bunch were parades, but there was one that said "Forum Show". I asked a friend what that was, and was told that it's a cool indoor show where several drum corps, perform on stage! My response was "do we do drill?" I had no clue....

So after a bunch of parades, and the beginning of learning our field show music, we started rehearsing for the FORUM! Being a small corps, the hornline used chairs, and rehearsed a few "vital" spots where they stood up! We also just received our new uniforms, and planned on debuting them at this performance. Not knowing what drum corps was really about, since at that point I had never seen any live and in person, I was looking forward to seeing and participating in the show.

The day of the show arrived, and I remember our stage time was just after the Westshoremen, We could hear them from the back stage area, and thought they sounded pretty loud...one person said that EVERYONE sounded loud in the building since it's not that big, and "acoustically perfect"... The members filed off, and we took our places for rehearsal. I seem to remember that half of our practice was spent getting the chair set up "just right" and running through a song or two to get the feel for the sound. Then the hornline practiced their "standing up/sitting down" and we were done.

That night, I think we were first on, so we got on stage, set ourselves up, and were announced. Our set seemed to go very quickly, and I remember noticing that A. there were a LOT of people sitting out there, and B. They were pretty close! After our show, we were able to go watch the remainder of the performances....I remember seeing the Westshoremen and the Crossmen, and being pretty impressed with the Crossmen...Westshore was just LOUD.

1979, I had joined Westshore in early September of 1979 and played marching timpani (and at that point hadn't had it strapped on my back, boy was I in for a rude awakening!) The few things I remembered was running the drum solo a few times, and the opener I Hope I Get It from A Chorus Line (where I had a triangle solo :tongue: ) That was the year that they professionally recorded the show, and I have a severely scratched copy of that album. The Naval Academy was just an amazing thing to behold (being that it was the END of their season, as opposed to the beginning of ours) The Crossmen also performed and were impressive as always.

Nothing really stands out in my mind over the next several years, 80, 81, 82, & 83 were pretty much a blur as far as that show goes... until 1984. Westshore was on the verge of folding, and a "skeleton" of it's former self performed that night (worse days were to come, that was pretty much the last time we were a cohesive unit, and still had a decent sized hornline) The drumline didn't have all of it's music learned at that point, so I was "employed" to play drum set for the opening number (Louie Bellson's Explosions!) I felt I did a decent job with it (except for dropping a stick, and in the haste to set my drums up, failed to put my stick bag in a place I could reach, so I needed to pick the stick up....oh well) I think we also played a drum solo, and another tune.

1985 I was marching with the Reading Buccaneers, and it was strange to be on that stage with a different unit...Sadly it was the last time I performed upon that stage, and the last time I saw the show until maybe 4-5 years ago.

The end of an era for sure!

Speakin of, I need to bring the camera for Friday. :thumbup:

Camera and recorder ready!! thumbup.gif

I was thinking it would be touching if, for their last performance at SIB, Westshore would release doves to fly around the inside of the Forum, in the middle of their show. Then maybe the next corps on stage could kick them around a little.

I'll bring a few feathers from 1980.... devil.gif

Sunrisers aren't part of the show.... :devil: And Walt Kelly is no longer with us. :sad:

shutup.gif

But I know someone who JUST got some of the feathers this past weekend..... and the guy who delivered will also be there.... :cool:

thumbup.gif