Border Crossing Issues

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang DCP is making me think I'm losing it... I'm not that old...

I know I posted that the last 2 states I lived in NY and WA both have the enhanced license, but that a passport which is good for 10 years is a better deal... and always good to have - you never know ...

Dang DCP is making me think I'm losing it... I'm not that old...

I know I posted that the last 2 states I lived in NY and WA both have the enhanced license, but that a passport which is good for 10 years is a better deal... and always good to have - you never know ...

Depends. Passports are now $135, and I know in my town they charge a $20 processing fee. NY Enhanced Licenses are $40 more, and you can either just get that tacked on and it is good until your license expires (every 8 years), or you can pay like $2.50 per 6 mo period and have them extend it to a full 8 years. Per year, it is actually cheaper most of the time if you are not planning on flying.

What's the time delay on passports anymore? Had to put a rush order on ours in 2006 for about double the money. Wierd thing was our vacation the year before was Portsmouth, NH which is where a lot of passport applications are handled in the North East. IIRC, located in the old Peace AF Base just outside Portsmouth.

Bruce, thanks for the info. EDLs sound kind of like (or maybe exactly like) the ID card I use at work. Used to be just a picture ID and some physical info printed on it. Now it has a pic and metal chip used to access my PC via keyboard reader. And every other year or so I leave the #### thing in the keyboard when I go home. :doh:

Hmmm, PA driver licenses are 4 years duration. My wife doesn't drive but has an "Identidy Card" which PennDOT also issues. Same layout as PA drivers license but different color background.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Having traveled quite extensivly over the years on business, my advice would be to get a passport. Unless you work for the RCMP or the FBI, it's probably the most valid form of international ID that you can get. It can save you a lot of hassles - even on domestic flights. I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the U.S. it's kind of like joining DCI only worse. Not only do you have to produce a birth certificate, pay a fee and wait, you also have to take an oath swearing your allegience to God and Country to be acompanied by an acceptable passport photo of course. It's a royal pain in the butt and it costs a few bucks, but it saved me a lot of trouble from the powers that be. Forget about the Canadian/US border patrol. To them there is no Canada and US. They all read off the same sheet of music. Trust me on that.

What's the time delay on passports anymore? Had to put a rush order on ours in 2006 for about double the money. Wierd thing was our vacation the year before was Portsmouth, NH which is where a lot of passport applications are handled in the North East. IIRC, located in the old Peace AF Base just outside Portsmouth.

Bruce, thanks for the info. EDLs sound kind of like (or maybe exactly like) the ID card I use at work. Used to be just a picture ID and some physical info printed on it. Now it has a pic and metal chip used to access my PC via keyboard reader. And every other year or so I leave the #### thing in the keyboard when I go home. :doh:

Hmmm, PA driver licenses are 4 years duration. My wife doesn't drive but has an "Identidy Card" which PennDOT also issues. Same layout as PA drivers license but different color background.

when we got our first passports this year they advised us it would be 4 weeks - it was almost to the day for my wife's.

mine, however was a problem - there is a difference between a birth certificate and a certificate of birth. and those of us like you and me who were born before 1960 in PA usually got certificates of birth. they aren't acceptable as proof of citizenship for passport purposes (post 9/11). So I had to send to Hbg for a new birth cert - then it only took two weeks to get the passport.

when we got our first passports this year they advised us it would be 4 weeks - it was almost to the day for my wife's.

mine, however was a problem - there is a difference between a birth certificate and a certificate of birth. and those of us like you and me who were born before 1960 in PA usually got certificates of birth. they aren't acceptable as proof of citizenship for passport purposes (post 9/11). So I had to send to Hbg for a new birth cert - then it only took two weeks to get the passport.

Then things got faster (thank goodness). Think in 2006 or so the rules had been tightened which accounted for the delay as passport people were dealing with the new procedures. (Edit: Could have been a backlog as the new procs were being worked out.) What helped us was we already had (pre 9/11) passports but they were close to expiring. So we sent in the old ones as part of the ID.

<cue evil laugh> That's one good thing about living near the capital of the state John. I needed a copy of my birth certificate when I was being reviewed for a security clearance. On a day off I just drove over to Harrisburg, parked the car and walked around until all the papers were filled out. (Of course it helped that I was born in PA - few blocks from where I parked.) Then when it was ready I just drove back and picked it up. All within a few minute drive of that place called the Forum where I'll be for Serenade In Brass next weekend.

Hope I haven't derailed this too much BigW. Just have been dealing with security too many years (decades) not to have some "different" experiences.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Again, I really think it depends on the individual official at the border. My step-daughter is with Canada Customs working in the immigration section now but has certainly spent her share of time working the booths at the bridges.She has shared a lot of stories with us regarding people's attitudes when crossing the border. If you treat the the officer with the respect due to them you will probably have no issues as an individual.People who admit to a criminal record can be refused entry. I recall a bass drummer in one corps having to get off the bus and wait at the border crossing until the corps came back after the show because he stuck his hand up and admitted to a very recent drunk driving conviction.Hardly a terrorist but there ya go...I also know many corps have had issues with bringing their souvie wagons across the border again because they are working and making money in a different country without a work permit.

Drum corps have been crossing the border both ways for more than 50 years...how did we manage back in the day?? But as one US Border officer told me, "Just because it's a hobby doesn't make it legal".

So far no problems with me going to Kingston to "march with" the Grenadiers. My observations to a hassel free crossing are.... Take off sun glasses, remove hat, open windows to make sure they can see in, don't give anymore info than a short direct answer to question, Never are you being paid or compensated for your membership, and don't have a bunch of crap in your car.

Last year the guard was reading my drill book, all pages had Kingston Grenadier logo on them instead of the designers logo. Plus I always have a piece of band/ corps equipment in the trunk for a good visual impact! hahah

It seems like the crossing at 1000 Island is aware of the Grennies. They always ask how we are doing and wish us good luck.

dd

The new wallet-size passport cards, issued by the US Department of State, are a less expensive alternative to a regular passport book, but are only good for land or water crossings (NOT for air travel) between the US, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Carribean. The required DS-11 form can be completed online then printed, or printed out to be completed by hand at http://www.travel.state.gov. The FAQ on this site is informative and very helpful. Cost for the card is $55.00, $135.00 for a regular passport book, and $165.00 for both. You can pay an additional fee for expedited processing.

As mentioned earlier, make sure you have an ORIGINAL birth certificate with a raised seal from the issuing agency, usually a state department of vital statistics. I had to write to California (and include a notarized statement that I was who I said I was!) to obtain one with the required seal, since many older (ouch!) certificates were issued before these were required. The postal inspector required me to submit this and my original Social Security card with the application. These were returned to me by mail about 3 days after submitting the application.

If you were ever married, be prepared to include the date of your marriage, spouse's name, and her place of birth and, if widowed, the date of your spouse's death. Most larger post offices can process your application, take the required photographs (they do charge a small fee for this, but it is cheaper than going to a photographer), confirm that your application is completed properly, and collect the necessary fees. I found them to be extremely friendly, cooperative, and helpful.

I applied for mine on April 30th last year, and the completed card came back in about three weeks, but the process can take 10 or more weeks. DOS says that the cards are (RFID) chipped, but that they do not contain personal information. (RIGHT!!) Since having it and using it for ID at airport screening, going though routine airport inspections for domestic flights has been a breeze. I haven't used it yet for travel to Canada, but it would be very handy for regular travel across the border.