Drum Corps Losing the Talent War?

Have you heard of Stanley McClover? Here’s what the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel said about him in 2002 when he was being recruited by programs as auspicious as Ohio State, LSU and Auburn:

Stanley McClover isn't the band kid who played bass drums for five years anymore. He's a quick, hulking 6-foot-4, 245-pound senior defensive end with sub 4.5-second speed who's considered by some prep recruiting experts as the best in the nation.

In the recent episode of Real Sports on HBO (watch it here) McClover tells how he wanted to be in the band. He was a drummer and loved it before succumbing to pressure to play football. The feature describes how he and others were allegedly given thousands of dollars in cash to play college football.

So far as I know, this bombshell is the first evidence we have of football boosters targeting potential drum corps talent. This must stop before all our kids are performing before and after halftime instead of where they belong! Where is the outrage?

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 3

Ya this poor kid will probably go on to have a professional football career and make bazillions of dollars over the next ten to fifteen years... Poor guy! Hmmmm let's see where would he be were he to spend his summers in a WC D&B Corps. Maybe sitting here on DCP with the rest of us whining about what isn't the way he likes it! LOL

I personally am happy for this kid because although perhaps pushed a bit, he figured out what we seem not to be able... If you want to be mainstream and make mainstream or better money... Be mainstream not nitche! :devil:

• Like 2

Quite a few band kids at my school are people who have switched from football over to band, because they like it better I guess. Kinda interesting.

What's the big deal? Football has survived without Drum Corps and Drum Corps has survived without football. I don't see the connection.

Sucks for him the NFL is like slavery.....But really, the tall beastly kids are gonna play sports where their tallness and beastliness are a huge advantage. Tall beastly kids in band/corps usually end up bring BAMFS sure if they're good, but there's not much money in that. Money is king.

"football boosters targeting potential drum corps talent"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare he quit band for something that has the potential to offer him and his family absolute financial security and freedom!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Like 2

Waffles anyone?

• Like 1