No more Tour Fee Excuses

WRONG! George Hopkins wanted to create a strangle hold in DCI of just promoting the G7, relegating the rest of the WC to sub-standard positions, and eliminate all of the OC corps'. This is "not" in the mission of DCI (and it is "not" a mission modeled after the PGA Tour). So, I have not lined up behind George Hopkins.

No, that's what you *believe* he's doing based on what you *think*. Unless you want to back up your claim with facts (go ahead and link, we're waiting), you're just making baseless assertions.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

In DCI: Where are the million dollar corporate sponsors for the corps' like the golfers in PGA? Where is the marketing like the PGA? Where are the shows that give to local charities like the PGA? Where are the performers getting paid like the PGA?

Why do those corporate sponsors support the PGA?

Answer: Because they can sell more golf clubs to Joe Local Golfer. Anything that build participation in golf sells more Calloway Clubs.

Why would corporate sponsors support DCI?

Answer: hmmm. who's the "downstream" market for marching music stuff....

I'm telling you -- if you're intellectually honest about it -- you'll end up supporting Hop's vision.

That's *IF* you want to model on the PGA.

So? This is a "charity" not a Major League correct?

I'll make it easy for you.

it's a major league charity with competitive results

• Like 1

True; but the problem is that many of the DCI WC corps' are willing to always increase and expand their extravagant major league shows while their actual funding cannot keep up with their extravaganza expenses. Where is the "charity" in that? At least in this aspect I am in line with Bob Jacobs (cut back on the extravaganza and cut back on the touring).

I'm going to ask this question in a serious manner ( $1 to Ben Stern). When was the last time you spent a lot of time around a DCI WC corps? I ask because I have, and the amount of money you think they spend vs. the reality of how they make do very well without a lot of expense is enormous. I know because I've been working with a band for 12 years now with a reputation of "breaking the bank" on outrageous props.

I've seen the receipts. I've seen how we've found ways to recycle things and use them in a new way. I've seen how we've gone out and solicited donations....and best of all, I've seen what some diehard dads with power tools can create with some time and thought...and not a lot of money.

• Like 2

In DCI: Where are the million dollar corporate sponsors for the corps' like the golfers in PGA? Where is the marketing like the PGA? Where are the shows that give to local charities like the PGA? Where are the performers getting paid like the PGA?

guess what...many activities that have had "million dollar corporate" sponsors are feeling the squeeze right now.

The economy sucks. giving in general is down. Ask your church. Ask your little league. Ask the PGA since I remember seeing articles not too long ago about them hurting.

I would think given your line of work, you'd be more in touch with the financial realities of the corporate world. It isn't about spending right now, it's about padding the books so numbers look good for investors.

• Like 1

No, that's what you *believe* he's doing based on what you *think*. Unless you want to back up your claim with facts (go ahead and link, we're waiting), you're just making baseless assertions.

Funny you mention the word "assertions" because that is the word Hopkins actually used in his G7 Report:

G7 Report, pages 8 - 12, "Assertion #4" (by Hopkins and Gibbs):

" A re-classification of corps...AAA, AA, and A... is important so that we define for our spectators, the level of expected performance. These corps' can then be placed in well defined events that align like levels of excellence and competitive value. This re-classification will also play into governance, fiscal remuneration, and overall control of the future.

AAA (Tour of Champions) Blue Devils, Carolina Crown, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, Top of tier 2 (three yr=ears in top eight equals permanent status)

AA Boston Crusaders, Blue Stars, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Troopers, Colts, Academy, Madison, Crossmen, Spirit, Pioneer?

A Manderins, Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, Cascades, Blue Deveils B, SCV Cadets, Teal Sound, Colt Cadets

All other corps' not listed in AAA, AA, or A class (the open class) will be under the guidance and care of regional associations. They can add into a show, and they can attend the champs, but there is no real service offered. This is a change - a clear decision to confine our efforts to a specific group of organizations."

So, there it is; clear as day and well documented. Hopkins wants DCI to mainly serve the G7 (AAA), have the G7 control governance, fiscal remuneration, and overall control of the future, relegate all other WC corps' to lower status (AA, and A), and wipe out "all" support for the Open Class. My "assertions" are not baseless; they are based on Hops "Assertion #4".

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

Funny you mention the word "assertions" because that is the word Hopkins actually used in his G7 Report:

Which is not what YOU wrote above. Thanks for killing your own argument.

I'm going to echo Jeff's question above and ask you exactly how much time you've spent around any of today's WC corps. I spent 2009 and 2010 around one that went through the most arduous and complete evaluation in DCI history to get accepted into World Class and I can tell you that not a penny is wasted on anything. Oh, and that corps, at least in 2009, had a very highest member-payment percentage (according to the director of somewhere north of 95%).

As for Bob and Surf, he runs a corps with a very viable and successful business model, something only a small number of corps throughout history have been able to claim. If he says this will work, i believe him. Frankly, we need more businessmen running today's corps.

• Like 2

Which is not what YOU wrote above. Thanks for killing your own argument.

I'm going to echo Jeff's question above and ask you exactly how much time you've spent around any of today's WC corps. I spent 2009 and 2010 around one that went through the most arduous and complete evaluation in DCI history to get accepted into World Class and I can tell you that not a penny is wasted on anything. Oh, and that corps, at least in 2009, had a very highest member-payment percentage (according to the director of somewhere north of 95%).

As for Bob and Surf, he runs a corps with a very viable and successful business model, something only a small number of corps throughout history have been able to claim. If he says this will work, i believe him. Frankly, we need more businessmen running today's corps.

ahh, the sound of logic

• Like 1

sounds now more like a membership issue than money...either way good luck with it all....

and as you scan facebook pages, websites and other outlets, seems that's not just a Surf related issue

• Like 2