Ran into Two Blue Stars Eating at White Castle

Went to Mama's Pizza in Plano, wearing my phantom Regiment souvie dog tag. Mama, behind the cash register, noticed the tag and says, "Holy Cow that's Phantom!"

Whilst enjoying a free pizza buffet that day, she told me about her brother who marched Phantom on contra in the late 80s. <3

• Like 1

Sister went to Delaware Valley College (who?) in Doylestown, PA (where?) which is near Philly in the late 80s. Wears a corps shirt one day and one prof starts asking if she was a member (she wasn't but a fan). Turns out the prof was with the Immaculate Conception Reveries Jr corps in the 60s. When she told me I said to ask him if he was part of the famous VFW sit in. (Long story but Reveries held up start of VFW Finals because a lower scoring corps was allowed to compete and not them. Part of reason 27th Lancers were created IIRC.)

Few days later get a phone call from her: "What the HELL was the sit in? I asked and his jaw hit the ground. BTW - he aged out the year before".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Sadly none of this has happened to me. The only Drum Corps folk I've ever met for the 1st time was during finals week in Indy... that doesn't really count!

I'd give the "I live 4,000 miles away" excuse but that doesn't seem to have stopped it happening to some folk.

Looking forward to the day when I meet my first ever "Drum Corps Stranger".

Went to Mama's Pizza in Plano, wearing my phantom Regiment souvie dog tag. Mama, behind the cash register, noticed the tag and says, "Holy Cow that's Phantom!"

Whilst enjoying a free pizza buffet that day, she told me about her brother who marched Phantom on contra in the late 80s. <3

Free pizza and drum corps chat. Does it get any better than that?

...Actually it does. Watch my next post.

HH

I've told this true story here before. Apologies to those for whom it's repetition.

I happened to be wearing a Carolina Crown shirt on my first-ever visit to Hooters. I know now how that explains why the best-looking waitress in the place came immediately to my table and said: Hi. Do you like drum corps?

At the time, I didn't remember what I was wearing. All I remember was thinking to myself: Thank you, God.

I mean, how was it possible that this lovely young lady just happens to walk up to me and ask about drum corps? Even if you concede I'm good looking, I was nonetheless a couple of decades older than her. And this just doesn't happen! Sexy? Drum corps!

She explains that she used to march Jersey Surf. She still loves drum corps and had seen Crown that year (the Triple Crown year). My lunch was among the best I'd ever had. The wings were okay. The conversation, like the view, was heavenly.

HH

• Like 2

During my senior year of high school I discovered that the computer science teacher at my old middle school is the drill writer/vis caption head for Teal Sound. Crazy.

• Like 1

After a winter camp in 2008 myself and a fellow corps member were boarding our flight from Indy to Memphis. As we stepped onto the plane the flight attendant was greeting everyone and noticed that I was wearing a Phi Mu Alpha t-shirt and said he would come back to our seats later. During the flight he came to talk to us and discovered that he not only was a Sinfonian but also marched baritone for the Crossmen in 1993 and the drum major for Phantom Regiment in 1994. It was the best flight I've ever been on.

One time I met a guard chick who said that she was in Drum Corps. When I asked her which one she said "The 27th Lancers". I said "Oh, you're one of George's girls", and without batting an eyelash she said, "It's Mr. Bonfiglio to you." True story. :tongue:

Edited by Piper
  • Like 3