Which corps would be LAST to switch from G horns?

Galen

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps would be LAST to switch from G horns?

• Blue Knights
    • Colts
    • Madison Scouts
    • Pacific Crest
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Pioneer
    • Troopers
    • Seattle Cascades
    • Southwind
    • Other

Definitely Madison!

Do they even have valves on the horns yet?

True, Madison is finishing lower according to the mutual admiration society that is figure skating, er, um, DCI judges and member corps directors.

To me, the scores stopped having meaning when they dropped the tick system and went to the yellow paper, slotting system.  :sly: (It used to be fun when a corps could actually jump 2 or 3 placements based strictly on that night's performance.) Real competition is dead.

Madison has consistently finished in my top 3 for entertainment and excitement...and that's why I watch drum corps, now. The only difference these is that they come on earlier in a show.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Now is this poll strictly for DCI corps? If so, then Madison would be my vote. If there really is no "inherent" benefit to switching to Bb (judges not placing a corps higher because of using Bb's), then I don't see any reason TO switch. But I think that the Madison organization can draw enough people who would sustain their corps even though they're playing "outdated" G horns.

As for drum corps as a whole, I think G bugles are in a lot healthier shape than DCI would have one believe. I can't see DCA switching to Bb's any time soon, and there's no way in h### that I can see any alumni corps switching.

On a side note, I was doing some research on starting my own drum corps. I went to the Kanstul website and took down prices. To buy 10 Sops, 5 Mellos, 7 Baris, 2 Euphs, and 5 Contras in G would cost $51,895. To buy 10 Trumpets, 5 F Mellos, 7 Bb Baris, 2 Bb Euphs, and 5 Tubas would cost $73,875.... I still fail to see DCI's logic of switching to Bb.

--Miker

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon guys...you're forgetting about Impulse! Word on the street is that they're hurting for funds, plus they seem like the "leather jacket wearing, motorcycle riding, doing donuts on your front lawn" type of corps right? I mean, they try to be distinctive, in 5 years, won't still playing in G be distinctive?

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind with the price lists for bugles and marching brass. The marching brass list prices are the pre- haggling list prices that nobody pays for anything. Example: My bach 37 was not $2495. I'd imagine if you bought an entire hornline you would get a slightly better price. The bugle list is already more or less the corps price.

I agree Jd83.

Voted for Scouts. May they never change from G.

I agree Madison will stay on g unless they get new leadership or for some reason all their horns get wrecked or something like that.

I march madison belive you me if all our horns got recked in madison there would be an order on the dynasty night voice mail for 68 brass for the scouts not to mention another 41 for us (captial sound) and southwind too!

Go Madison Corps, and Crossmen too!!!