Teal Sound 2011 April Camp

It's a midi generator so the actual sounds can be virtually anything. The difference between that and a keyboard is that the method of generating the midi events is more natural for a wind player and are far more "analog" than a keyboard.

real saxaphones are illegal,.................so let's use electronic ones?,.............. :thumbdown:

Edited by Gary Matczak
  • Like 2

I hope they don't get booed.

Me too. I was really surprised that this staff member is saying with certainty that his Corps is going to be booed by the audience in Allentown this year.

That's most unfortunate all the way around. There is nothing particularly enobling, educational or enriching about performers being prepared to be booed by an audience. And expecting to be booed by an audience.

I see no benefit to either the audience, nor the performers to such an exercise. It is something to be avoided at all costs. No successful show designer has a mission to design a show they believe will generate a negative response with audiences that includes booing. Only failed performers and show designers have such a jaded view of audiences, imo. The most successful performers in the world always put the audience first, whether they attain a positive reception or not in the end.

It's a shame all around if booing takes place. Performers work too hard, too long, and make financial and time sacrifices to go into a situation where the expected result will be booing by the audience.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

(edited because my I hit the wrong thing on my itouch)

Hopefully they won't get booed, because hopefully there won't be any drunken idiots there like last year. But I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by dstemet

That's most unfortunate all the way around. There is nothing particularly enobling, educational or enriching about performers being prepared to be booed by an audience. And expecting to be booed by an audience.

<snip>

It's a shame all around if booing takes place. Performers work too hard, too long, and make financial and time sacrifices to go into a situation where the expected result will be booing by the audience.

Well, you're half right.

The thing with booing at a drum corps show is that people in the audience boo for one reason and one reason only: they crave attention. The don't boo mistakes, blown drill moves, or rifle drops. It's not like booing a pitcher than walks in a run, or a team that is on a losing streak. People boo because they are jerks. Period.

In 2009 and 2010, we knew there would be people at shows that would boo. We also were smart enough to know they'd be very much in the minority, as proved to be the case. Every once in a while you'd get some loud-mouthed dinosaur screaming about how "gee-tars ain't drum core!"

No one from Teal ever said a negative word to any of them. If anything, we'd just shrug and smile. in 2010 it became a hype for the members whenever they'd hear someone in the stands ranting prior to a show (Allentown was a great example). The beauty of the whole thing was that it was always other audience members that leaped to the corps' defense.

If anything, the staff and members thought the vocal minority was really funny, because the overwhelming response to both years was very positive. We did indeed make it into a "teaching moment".

• Like 1

Me too. I was really surprised that this staff member is saying with certainty that his Corps is going to be booed by the audience in Allentown this year.

I see no benefit to either the audience, nor the performers to such an exercise. It is something to be avoided at all costs. No successful show designer has a mission to design a show they believe will generate a negative response with audiences that includes booing. Only failed performers and show designers have such a jaded view of audiences, imo. The most successful performers in the world always put the audience first, whether they attain a positive reception or not in the end.

Perhaps he's commenting on the mentality of the Allentown crowd? I don't know, but that Billy Joel song comes to mind.

Mabye Allentown = Dinosaur? Rawr???? blink.gif

So, it's some sort of symbolism thing....

Me, I don't want to boo the kids EVER, but why not be able to criticize the judges and designers?

Perhaps he's commenting on the mentality of the Allentown crowd? I don't know, but that Billy Joel song comes to mind.

Mabye Allentown = Dinosaur? Rawr???? blink.gif

So, it's some sort of symbolism thing....

Me, I don't want to boo the kids EVER, but why not be able to criticize the judges and designers?

Well, I wasn't taking shots at any crowd in particular, and the Allentown crowd had, if anything, more defenders than boo-birds. The one really glaring D-bag of the season jsut happened to be in the stands that night, and, if I recall correctly, was silenced quite effectively by Jeff Ream's wife.

Edited by Kamarag

Well, you're half right.

The thing with booing at a drum corps show is that people in the audience boo for one reason and one reason only: they crave attention. The don't boo mistakes, blown drill moves, or rifle drops. It's not like booing a pitcher than walks in a run, or a team that is on a losing streak. People boo because they are jerks. Period.

If anything, the staff and members thought the vocal minority was really funny, because the overwhelming response to both years was very positive.

Well, you're half right. I'm sure that people who boo ARE craving attention. They want the design team to know their displeasure.

Yes, they are tactless and frustrated twits. What are their alternatives in expressing themselves? Would anyone even care?

Other people don't enjoy something in a show, and they don't boo. Some then proclaim all is well with most when it isn't. So, I dunno. Sometime it seems like there a people who really don't want people to really care about the drum corps activity. I mean really REALLY love it and protect it. I think these people are pushing people who love corps to love the marching arts in general. I'm not sure. It's a theory...

Seems like the only other option is to not attend shows if those vocal minority, who also may represent a "larger" non-vocal contingent have no way to express their opinion about the product design.

I, however, believe that booing the kids is never a good idea. For me, if I really don't like a show, it's hotdog, restroom time...

Edited by jjeffeory

Well, I wasn't taking shots at any crowd in particular, and the Allentown crowd had, if anything, more defenders than boo-birds. The one really glaring D-bag of the season just happened to be in the stands that night, and, if I recall correctly, was silenced quite effectives by Jeff Ream's wife.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarification.

• 10 months later...

A lot of comments on this thread on the quality of this instrument and how it adds or doesn't add to the show. Frankly, I don't care about any of that. My opinion on this is, it is an abuse of a gray area within the rules of electronics that I frankly want to see fixed with the new BOD. I don't mind electronics within the boundaries of instruments that have ALWAYS been used in drum corps...post the early 70s (and mallets ARE a keyboard instrument). THIS, however is a very sneaky use of what even the DCI DVD liner notes called (very plainly) a "woodwind instrument".

Now, I can't fault a corps for playing within the boundries of the rules. However, I would like to see the new BOD better define the rules on electronics to limit use of woodwinds of any kind (electric or otherwise)...as woodwind's are NOT supposed to be allowed in drum corps (at the present time...and hopefully NEVER now that the BOD has changed DRAMATICALLY).

P.S. Sorry to dig up an old thread. But I missed this one and recently watched Teal Sound on DVD (having never seen the show live) and was very dissapointed in the use of this instrument, which I believe compromises the integrity of not only the activity, but the rules of the activity (as they stand at the present time).

In Short: Teal Sound should have been penalized for the use of this instrument...JUST LIKE BOSTON was ALL SEASON in 1985 for their use of a synth prior to such being legal (anyone remember that?).

Edited by bmjfelts1988