A little advice for tour?

Do NOT stress over what the judges do. You cannot control it, most times cannot change it, so do not sweat it. Perform to the best of your ability and just enjoy the experience.

We got judged for everything we did?!?

You'll get more satisfaction bringing a stadium to their feet than with a number some guys in silly green polos give you

• Like 3

And yet again Burt's Bees Wax prevails.

Ingredients: Beeswax, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil.

Not so fast...Berts's is not menthol free.

And I don't think DCT's formula has changed -- it has always had a small amount of peppermint as well. *AND* it SPF20.

So let the battle commence!!

• Like 1

I always kept a shirt on for the summer. It cut my sunscreen needs and future skin cancer risk in half, and kept me cooler because the heat wasn't hitting me directly. Shirt on/shirt off is totally a personal preference, though.

Biggest lifesavers for me were:

- a good hat (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Glacier_Glove_Mojave_Sun_Hat/descpage-47SH.html - it's worth every penny)

- UV-resistant sunglasses

- DCT

- Some sort of menial activity for the bus. For me, a Game Boy with Tetris did wonders when I needed to relax before a show or calm down after a bad day of rehearsal.

- Hoodie and sweats for the bus (for some reason, ours were always Arctic cold)

And yet again Burt's Bees Wax prevails.

Does ChopSaver contain menthol?

Does ChopSaver contain menthol?

I don't think so.

Ingredients: Beeswax, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil, lanolin, tocopherol, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, canola oil.

Not so fast...Berts's is not menthol free.

And I don't think DCT's formula has changed -- it has always had a small amount of peppermint as well. *AND* it SPF20.

So let the battle commence!!

Berts shareholders must be posting here to give you negative points for that post.

1. Pack everything you think you'll need. Take a break. Unpack 50% of what you packed and leave it home.

Pack enough underwear and socks for two weeks (I always tossed them mid-season and bought new underwear and socks. It makes the deep south SO much better!)

2. Start working out NOW. back, abs, triceps, delts and pecs. If you don't already run I highly recommend you start now.

2a. Start stretching for reals! Learn what you need to do to get a good stretch. I also recommend doing ankle rolls, I've seen plenty ankle injuries that could have been prevented otherwise.

2b. Get in the habit of being constantly active. Workout and stretch everyday (responsibly) so that your body doesn't experience as much shock during alldays.

3. Choose your attitude. There are a lot of things in the season you can't control. But how you decide to think about and act upon the crappy situations will determine how good your summer will be.

4. Think about packing energy bars for alldays. I don't know about other people, but I made sure to pack an energy bar for everyday of alldays. Get a good variety (protein, clif, power etc). Make sure the bars you get are flavors that taste good. I would eat them for a pre-bed snack and I always felt ready to go the next day. Might be something to look into.

5. Pack dryer sheets!! Not smelling like a dead animal can be hard to do over the summer; dryer sheets help keep that at bay. Use them in your dryer during laundry days. Put them next to that stinky kid on the bus. Throw some with your uniform to help stave off that stank. Keep a number with your dirty and clean cloths so the clean clothes don't smell dirty and so the dirty clothes don't smell so bad it kills all the bugs within a 20 foot radius.

6. If you've ever used a brace PACK IT. Drum corps adds 7 years to a body for every season. IF you have things wrong with your body, chances are you'll find out over the summer. Previous injuries that don't heal correctly always seem to have a way of biting back over the summer.

7. Do what you can to get 8 hours of solid sleep a night. You won't have to worry about the falling asleep part because you'll be so tired. But you won't get a lot of hours on the floor past alldays. Knowing how to sleep on the bus can make or break your summer experience.

8. Pack two pairs of comfortable marching shoes. Alternating shoes every couple days will help prevent overuse injuries of small muscles in your feet that might be overworked in a certain pair of shoes, changing shoes gives those muscles a little break and distributes the work a bit more evenly across all muscles.

8a. Think about getting custom orthodics for your shoes. Many people get knee, hip, back, ankle problems because their shoes don't properly support their weight. Getting inserts made specifically for your feet will help to circumvent that situation.

9. Treat others how you want to be treated. Tensions will rise as the summer goes on but on-going internal conflicts will not only effect your performance but also the whole corps. Your corps is your family, they will always have your back if you have theirs.

10. Follow the rules, respect everyone, and have fun! This activity is amazing and you have the great opportunity to live the life. You'll remember this summer for the rest of your life, enjoy it but don't do anything that will make you regret it later on.

I'm really jealous that you will be marching this summer. I hope these tips help and that you have an amazing summer!

Edited by kaplac
  • Like 2

The best tip I leaned in 3 years of corps was:

Don't go anywhere or do anything alone. If you're doing it as a group you can't be wrong, or at least the worst they can do is yell at you.

Example 1.) When at rest stops, make sure you see other corps people. Otherwise the bus may have already left.

Example 2.) When out on the field, and everyone else is playing sonic boom loud. You should join in and match their volume (with a good tone).

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Edited by mellodcd
  • Like 1

Example 2.) When out on the field, and everyone else is playing sonic boom loud. You should join in and match their volume (with a good tone).

Or the inverse - be very wary if you're the only one playing. Yes, people are judging you when you play by yourself (sorry for that reality check). But, if it helps you and the corps be better, and is a good opportunity to play by yourself, then do it.