Best Brass Sound and Brass Exec. of All Time

If you were to pick one show that would exemplify DCI's best brass sound ever, name the corps, the year, and the show title

similarly,

if you were to pick one show that would exemplify DCI's best executed brass book of all time, name the corps, year, show title etc.

I would make a poll for this topic, but I don't believe it would be appropriate for there are many fantastic shows out there, additionally it wouldn't be outrageous to state the same show, corps, year for both

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

This is extremely hard since I'm going through my "80's drum is the best in the world" phase.

Of the recent shows of the 2000's:

Brass Sound - Cavaliers 2002 - "Four Corners" (Phantom and Crown have come close)

Brass Execution - Blue Devils 2004 (or any recent BD book) "The SummerTrain Blues MIX" Gotta go with this year b/c the lead trumpet section is simply amazing as soloist and play well within the ensemble. (Bluecoats 2010 comes REALLY close-Tuba Section!!)

This is extremely hard since I'm going through my "80's drum is the best in the world" phase.

Of the recent shows of the 2000's:

Brass Sound - Cavaliers 2002 - "Four Corners" (Phantom and Crown have come close)

Brass Execution - Blue Devils 2004 (or any recent BD book) "The SummerTrain Blues MIX" Gotta go with this year b/c the lead trumpet section is simply amazing as soloist and play well within the ensemble. (Bluecoats 2010 comes REALLY close-Tuba Section!!)

Psssst.... Four Corners was the year before, in 2001! Frameworks was 2002. Either one though I would say deserves a nod - amazing Cav's shows!

Yeah, I agree it's really hard to pick one. Especially with the difference of G and Bb in mind for sound.

I'll do a recent version.

Best sound - Crown 2009.

Just a huge wall of rich sound. They definitely deserved the Ott that year.

Best execution - Cavaliers 2004

#### that book is clean. The individual performance level is stellar.

Yeah, I agree it's really hard to pick one. Especially with the difference of G and Bb in mind for sound.

I'll do a recent version.

Best sound - Crown 2009.

Just a huge wall of rich sound. They definitely deserved the Ott that year.

Best execution - Cavaliers 2004

#### that book is clean. The individual performance level is stellar.

So clean that they didn't win horns that year... probably because BD's hornline was incredible in 04.

05 Cadets was pretty clean if memory serves.

Loved Crown's sound in 2009 (and 2008). Don't usually dig BD's horn sound, but I did like them last year.

'86 Suncoast Sound (Adventures In Time) would have to be on this list somewhere.

• Like 1

So clean that they didn't win horns that year... probably because BD's hornline was incredible in 04.

05 Cadets was pretty clean if memory serves.

Loved Crown's sound in 2009 (and 2008). Don't usually dig BD's horn sound, but I did like them last year.

Eh I think it can go either way. I think it was more of BD's book being harder than Cavies not executing well. They were incredible though.

2004 Cavaliers not winning brass I think is the biggest modern mistake made by the judges. I felt BD was amazing, but not to the level that the cavaliers were at. The entire show was just ridiculously good from a brass standpoint. Definitely my favorite show, in terms of brassline's, of all time.

I personally am particularly impressed with frameworks, The Cavaliers '02 show, and there's a possibility it would fit both categories nicely

I'd argue that '02 cavaliers in terms of cleanliness surpasses '04

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

2004 Cavaliers not winning brass I think is the biggest modern mistake made by the judges. I felt BD was amazing, but not to the level that the cavaliers were at. The entire show was just ridiculously good from a brass standpoint. Definitely my favorite show, in terms of brassline's, of all time.

But the problem is that brass is judged ON THE FIELD. Only the brass judges that were there can know what the clarity was from player to player. You would be very surprised how different things can be from the field to the stands. It may sound great in the stands, but when you get up close you may hear some bad individual sounds or notice people laying out. That is why we have field music captions and ensemble music captions. It creates balance IMO. That is probably why you saw that BD won horns and Cavaliers won Music Ensemble (if memory serves). As a matter of fact, I think BD got a perfect score in horns one of the nights in 2004.