Best Brass Sound and Brass Exec. of All Time

The 1988 and 1993 Blue Devils called to say how much they are laughing at this thread, after being texted by 1985 Suncoast Sound.

:worthy:

giggle, giggle...

79 Guardsmen for execution.

08 Crown for sound.

Edited by Steve Knob

maybe I should have gone by decade :rolleyes:

Star 1990 is my absolute favorite sounding brassline.

ME too.

hard time narrowing this down.

Sound: Star 90. Wall of sublime brass

Execution: Star 91

Overall honorable mention brass lines since I started attending finals in 88:

• BD '88, 99, 04
  • Phantom Regiment '89, 96, 97, 03 (emotion & impact, not execution), 06
  • SCV '99, 09
  • Crown 07, 08, 09
  • Cadets 90, 00, 05, 07
  • Cavaliers 00, 02

Harvey

• Like 1

That one, too. :thumbup:

And for BITD brass sound... a tie, for me, between 1975 Madison Scouts and 1971 (pre-DCI, I know) Argonne Rebels.

Gotta agree with Fran on this one. As good as many of the more recent horn lines are, I will put any of Sandra Opie's Argonne Rebels horn lines up against ANY of them for cleanliness, execution and musicality. Co-ed lines with mucho intestinal fortitude.

Oh yeah, '75 Madison was smokin' also.

Ray

I had the pleasure of marching with two Guardsmen vets while at SCV (one was our DM in '84, the other was a lady FH player from '79 with mucho intestinal fortitude; cute too!) and being taught by one of their instructors (Tim Salzmann, who idolized Sandra Opie.) My picks are:

Execution: '79 Guardsmen, '81 SCV (Young Person's Guide was rumored as being tickless at Finals), BD '88 (a legendary year hornwise even by their standards, from what a former MM tells me), Star '93, BD 2010

"OMG Factor": '72 Argonne Rebels (keep in mind the equipment of the day!), Academie Musicale 1990 (a Class A-60 corps from Sherbrooke, Quebec; they first won Class A-60, then went on to place 23rd at Semis the following day), Sky Ryders '81 (triple toungue hell), Suncoast, Cavies 2002, SCV '87, Star '93 (running mellos culminated by the big hit into the large wedge.)

For our younger readers, the first time I heard '72 Argonne I had to pull the cassette out of my Walkman twice to make sure I'd read the year correctly on the label; it still sounds 10-15 years ahead of their time.

Edited by TRacer