High School Band Marching Technique

I don't really think the two are mutually exclusive. If you are really breaking down the technique, the students will be learning how to move in step as well. There is a count where the foot falls, and a count where the ankles cross. You should spend time on walking in time, and you should spend time on executing the technique out of time. The two go hand in hand, and if you teach them together with a demand for attention to detail, they will both happen.

As for which is more important, it depends on if you're talking about phasing, or actually being out of step. They are different things. With modern drill, and a high school rehearsal schedule, its pretty hard to eliminate phasing all together, because if you are extremely far out from the front of the field, you actually have to play in a different place from your feet in order for your feet to appear in time, and for your notes to sound in time. The important thing is that each person is in step with the person next to him. If that is happening, it is hard to notice phasing, as each form will look uniform, even if their feet aren't exactly with the sound.

If the technique is taught properly, it will make marching in step easier. That doesn't mean marching in step is never addressed.

Both.

Stress the importance of timing and practice it with standing still exercises like "Up in 4, Down in 4" and Tondues. While moving focus on technique, but never let them forget timing. Cut an exercise if the timing is too poor, cut for bad step offs, etc. If you set the vibe that messing up timing is a big no-no, it'll happen far less often.

Both.

Stress the importance of timing and practice it with standing still exercises like "Up in 4, Down in 4" and Tondues. While moving focus on technique, but never let them forget timing. Cut an exercise if the timing is too poor, cut for bad step offs, etc. If you set the vibe that messing up timing is a big no-no, it'll happen far less often.

What he said. I do "Up in 4, Down in 4 / High mark time" almost every day with my students. Todd Ryan uses those to stress time. You can focus on the met only, lining up with the people around you visually, turn the met down and put some drum majors in front - there are lots of ways to focus on time and getting the kids a strong sense of internal pulse this way.

That being said, the next exercise I do is almost always something involving technique. But, like the previous poster noted, never stop harping on foot timing in your technique-based exercises.

How about giving us clues to:

How large is the band

what % of upper classmen

what % of incoming 9th graders ?

Do you have incoming new kids report early for basics with the officers?

( I deal with 7th - 12th in the same band so I do staying in step and book drills for posture with rookies before the rest come in 2 days later)

Teach both timing and technique from the beginning. Kids learn differently and some take time to get things figured out. If you wait until they can achieve one before you start teaching the other your limiting their time and some may never get to where you want them.

Every time you work marching fundamentals mix in exercises that focus on timing and technique so they get some of each. Gradually they will start to integrate the two.

As for watching the DM, I would first talk with your music staff and find out whether they emphasize watching or listening (to the battery) for time. Then build the technique program around whichever method they'll using in the show.

Do an excersise emphasizing the left foot, assuming you do a left foot lead, well what ever foot you lead with just emphasize that as it is going to be your crucial downbeat, this is assuming you are starting out in just straight time with no meter. I am doing a lot of assuming here :lookaround: but as soon as they get that lead foot hitting constantly on the downbeat the rest should be easier.

If feet aren't in time, the members definitely won't be able to play in time, regardless of how great their technique looks.

Timing is everything- teach foot timing first. Having members simply walk in time to a Dr. Beat or to a popular song on the radio is a great way to go, and it really doesn't take that long to get the point across.

• Like 1

If feet aren't in time, the members definitely won't be able to play in time, regardless of how great their technique looks.

Timing is everything- teach foot timing first. Having members simply walk in time to a Dr. Beat or to a popular song on the radio is a great way to go, and it really doesn't take that long to get the point across.

feet with the hands, play to the feet

An exercise i've seen to get the groups feet in time is have the band play a quarter note on 1 of 4/4 bars. At a moderate tempo (120-140) have the drum major and the met start and then cut the met, and finally cut the drum major, if they can internalize the pulse and play with their feet, it'll be together.