Welcome Back, Guards

Color Guards were never military drill teams. I'm glad they have evolved in the direction they have. For those of you who appreciate a fine display of military precision and weapon-handling, the annual National High School Drill Team Championships and World Drill Championships are being held this weekend in Daytona Beach, FL. Lovers of old school color guards will not be disappointed by the level of militaristic excellence on display by some of America's finest students!

Go guard! Dance your hearts out this summer! I am always in awe of what you do! :worthy:

Ditto! :thumbup:

Double ditto!

• Like 1

If I want to see dancing and prancing, I'll go to the Ballet.................

What types of shows do you like? Corps? Years?

If I want to see dancing and prancing, I'll go to the Ballet.................

and if we want "Same old ####" we will pop in a VHS or beta from 1982.

Good luck guards!

Edited by Dave
filter circumvention - ds

Thank you the posters that left positive comments about drum corps guards. I realize this is a forum and everyone has the right to their opinion, but by posting this thread, I just wanted to welcome the guards of drum corps back and express my appreciation to them. But for some reason, even a polite, kind thread of appreciation has to have someone to post negative comments about what I consider a very important part of our drum corps unit which is why I rarely bother to post.

I realize you certainly didn't do it for me, but thank you anyway to everyone else who saw this thread as an opportunity to say something positive about drum corps.

I don't see what's the big deal. EVOLUTION IS PART OF LIFE. Embrace it, b/c there's not much you can do about it. Save yourself some stress. Buy the videos from the 1972-2010 (you can buy VFW videos now too) and kick back and enjoy what the activity used to be through videos.

:smile:

So I heard that alot of the members who did SCV winter guard this year are blue devils. Does that happen frequently?

Yes. SCV Winterguard has very little connections with the drum corps. I imagine you get a discount on your tuition if you march the drum corps.

But yes, is common. I marched Pioneer Indoor Percussion and never marched the drum corps (as much as I wanted to)

I wouldn't be surprised though if Blue Devils kids went to SCV - Blue Devils haven't had a world class guard since 1998 (they have very good A and Open guards) so it would make sense for the kids at BD who 'age out' of the guard go to SCV to do indoor stuff.

Edited by Will

Why don't the guard start to practice a few months earlier like the rest of the corps?

In my day...... blah de blah de blah!

So I heard that alot of the members who did SCV winter guard this year are blue devils. Does that happen frequently?

That better not be true. If it is then the SCV Winter Guard violates the charter of the SCV organization which is to “support and benefit the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corp”. I don’t have a problem if a WG member can’t afford or is unable to make the time commitment to march SCV D&B, but to march BD or any other D&B corps is unacceptable.

Per marcher, more points on the current judging scoring sheets are allotted to a Guard performer than any other performer in a Corps, so they sure get " credit " there, thats for sure.

It's nice to see that now, but that sure wasn't the case not so long ago.