The greatest soloist of all time....

While I'm far from the most knowledgeable person in the world with regard to drum corps, and I fully expect this thread to disappear into oblivion for lack of participation in the next couple of days, I simply wanted to exploit my ability to post a new topic by asking who you all think the best soprano soloist of all time may have been.

For my money, it's North Star's Jerry Noonan.

Yeah, this has been done to death, but of course, the entire world revolves around me, so when I find myself playing hookie on a Tuesday, and happen to watch the 1980 Nats, of course I'm going to be so completely self-absorbed that I simply must cop to the brogasm that accompanied Jerry's performance in Birmingham that night.

Flame away, cause Jerry and I have an appointment with that Porsche dealer. The old guy needs a ride befitting his status.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 1

I don't feel like thinking too hard right now about who would be the best, so I will say one that nobody else probably will.

I am always very impressed with the sound quality of vanguards trumpet soloist in 2002? (sound shape and color). Such a GREAT sound for a drum corps soloist, although they were very minor solos, I wish we heard that type of quality more often.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Wasn't it Dave Lang who was the baritone soloist for the Colts back in the 80's? If so I think he may get my vote. I know most people will list sop/trumpet or mello soloist, so I wanted to make sure there was some love for the low brass folk out there.

Z

While I'm far from the most knowledgeable person in the world with regard to drum corps, and I fully expect this thread to disappear into oblivion for lack of participation in the next couple of days, I simply wanted to exploit my ability to post a new topic by asking who you all think the best soprano soloist of all time may have been.

Yeah, this has been done to death, but of course, the entire world revolves around me, so when I find myself playing hookie on a Tuesday, and happen to watch the 1980 Nats, of course I'm going to be so completely self-absorbed that I simply must convey the brogasm that accompanied Jerry's performance in Birmingham that night.

Flame away, cause Jerry and I have an appointment with that Porsche dealer. The old guy needs a ride befitting his status.

While it's hard, if not impossible to pick out a single soloist thats " the greatest of all time ". Jerry Noonan of the North Star would most certainly be among this elite group, if not at the top. Good choice, imo.

Incidentally, funny story about Jerry Noonan. Either it's an urban myth, or it's true. Anyway, the story goes like this :

Jerry and a couple of his soprano buglers were jamming a bit while on tour in the morning sunlight near a building in the industrial section of town on a weekend with nobody around. As the 2 or 3 of them played together sitting on the curb, unbeknownst to them a man got out of his car behind them, and he stopped to listen a little to their playing. After a moment or two, Jerry and his friends stopped playing. The man then came to them, tapped Jerry on the shouldder and said something to the effect :

" Hi, I don't mean to disturb you. But I couldn't help but listen to you guys on those trumpets. You young guys are fantastic. I'm the owner of the nightclub in back of you. You know what ? You guys sound much better than the stiffs that I'm paying good money for in my nightclub's band ". Jerry, his friends, and the nightclub owner all had a chuckle together with that.

Edited by BRASSO

Been said before many times, but I don't get all that tired talking about excellence.

I've posited that discussions such as these, like discussions about the best ballplayer or heavyweight champeen, should pertain to their era. Noonan, Larry Dalstrup, and Jim Brady excelled in the late 70s and eraly 80s when it was two valve all the way. Guys like Jeff Kievit, Richie Price and Chris Metzger ruled in the 60s and early 70s, which was valve/rotor bugles made out of false teeth and old Sports Illustrated issues. Players like Dan Moore, Tim Hansen, Chris Eble and Ira Aaronson excelled even later in the 80s, when horn plating got more sophisticated. Then the three-valves took over.

Blue Devils soloist from 1986 - don't know his name, but he was the guy with the beard. Outstanding. Haven't heard anyone top that yet.

I also think honorable mention should go to the Glassmen soloist from the early 2000's - played flugel as well.

• Like 1

John Shipper - Madison Scouts 1995 and 1996 esp 1996. He burnt the house down in 96.

• Like 1

Well it's certainly an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jerry Noonan and Jim Brady! I have to say that the greatest soloist of all time, in my opinion, is Jim Brady. I remember sitting in the stands at prelims in 1977 and watching him play with those oversized sunglasses! That visual along with what came out of that p/r bugle was mesmerizing! Certainly Jerry along with Jeff Kievet, Chris Metzger, Harpo Blum, Tommy Meredith, Freddie Bell, Gary ? from the early '80s Crossmen and Shaun Owens are my favorites. But there have been quite a few on bari, mello, french horn and contra who have been terrific, as well. And , of course , I have to give a shout out to the many great soloists from Blue Devils past. BTW - Mike Collins(a former student) was the the "bearded wonder" in '86 BD.

Yeah, this has been done to death, but of course, the entire world revolves around me, so when I find myself playing hookie on a Tuesday, and happen to watch the 1980 Nats, of course I'm going to be so completely self-absorbed that I simply must cop to the brogasm that accompanied Jerry's performance in Birmingham that night.

Every time this topic comes around the first guy I think of is Noonan. So yea - Noonan!

• Like 1

Blue Devils soloist from 1986 - don't know his name, but he was the guy with the beard. Outstanding. Haven't heard anyone top that yet.

I also think honorable mention should go to the Glassmen soloist from the early 2000's - played flugel as well.

All good performances but you really need to queue up 1979 North Star. You will be convinced of Noonan's superiority.

• Like 1