Question about SCV 2011 Rep

I finally took the time to actually examine everything they were playing. You know, they're actually playing more than The Devil's Staircase? tongue.gif

So they're playing:

The Devil's Staircase -

Essay For Orchestra - Samual Barber *

Piano Concerto - Avner Dorman*

The Eternal Knot Karl Jenkins*

Etude 13 - György Ligeti

Essay For Orchestra is amazing.

Here's my big question: Is the second piece Piano Concerto in A Major by Avner Dorman?

Corpsreps simply says it's Piano Concerto.

The first few minutes of that are especially great! I can hear other parts of that that would fit really well into the theme of the show...

Didn't Ben Davis MB play some of The Eternal Knot in 2008? Either way I'm sure SCVs version will be unique and the ultimate version!

Thanks!

Edited by jjeffeory

which of barber's essays are they doing?

Corpsreps simply says,: "Essay for Orchestra" Samuel, Barber.

Of course I checked it out on you know where, and an entry came up. I listened to that and it sounded pretty good. That's all I know. cool.gif

Correction. I listened to 1st Essay, Op. 12. Sorry 'bout that. I don't know which essay they're using.

According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essay_for_Orchestra_(Barber), Barber's Essay for Orchestra is currently known as "1st Essay for Orchestra", so maybe that's the one SCV is going to use?

Time for me to check out the other two essays... Thanks for the heads up!

I guess the 3rd Essay would musically fit within their show theme for this year as well as the 1st Essay.

Edited by jjeffeory

My guess is that it's the 3rd Essay for Orchestera. I looked it up on YouTube. It sounds a little more staircase-y than the rest I guess.

Here's my big question: Is the second piece Piano Concerto in A Major by Avner Dorman?

Corpsreps simply says it's Piano Concerto.

It's confusing, but I believe so. Dorman also wrote another piece called "Lost Souls, a seance for piano and orchestra" which is technically a concerto. He also wrote "Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins" which will be on the field this year with the Mandarins.

Dorman he just turned 36, he's not that old.

Dorman Piano Concerto in A. I can see this on the field very easily.

The first piece is Barber's First Essay for Orchestra; the second is Dorman's Piano Sonata No. 2, mvt. 2.

The Barber is basically an introduction leading into the Dorman, with the whole production accounting for a significant portion of the entire show. To me, the first 3/4ths of the 2011 show is similar in structure to the first 3/4ths of the 2000 show.

Edited by vanguard87

It's confusing, but I believe so. Dorman also wrote another piece called "Lost Souls, a seance for piano and orchestra" which is technically a concerto. He also wrote "Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins" which will be on the field this year with the Mandarins.

Dorman he just turned 36, he's not that old.

Heh, 36 isn't old... That's amazing stuff! Thanks for the heads up.

The first piece is Barber's First Essay for Orchestra; the second is Dorman's Piano Sonata No. 2, mvt. 2.

The Barber is basically an introduction leading into the Dorman, with the whole production accounting for a significant portion of the entire show. To me, the first 3/4ths of the 2011 show is similar in structure to the first 3/4ths of the 2000 show.

Thank you!