A Thought

So I've been watching Cadets shows on the Fan Network and had this thought...

Thematically and instrumentally, the Cadets have put out some of the most controversial products. Filled with electronics, narration, and over-the-top theatrics, these shows have caused people to claim the Cadets are moving from the realm of "drum corps" and into something else. People claim that the Cadets have pushed things perhaps too far at times.

But watching the shows, has anyone noticed that compared to nearly every other corps, the Cadets horns/drums utilize the least amount of dance in their drill and choreography? Some shows rely almost exclusively on elements of dance in creating the visual element for the corps proper but when the Cadets attempt such movement, it often appears mechanical and superficial. That corps spends more time MARCHING WHILE PLAYING - or just straight up marching - than nearly all other corps.

I just found that traditional marching/playing element to be at odds with their typical show design choices. So much so that it made me wonder whether the evolution of the marching element is in fact a more major shift in the activity than the designs of any show from a thematic, instrumental, or theatric standpoint.

Had anyone else noticed this?

• Like 1

So I've been watching Cadets shows on the Fan Network and had this thought...

Thematically and instrumentally, the Cadets have put out some of the most controversial products. Filled with electronics, narration, and over-the-top theatrics, these shows have caused people to claim the Cadets are moving from the realm of "drum corps" and into something else. People claim that the Cadets have pushed things perhaps too far at times.

But watching the shows, has anyone noticed that compared to nearly every other corps, the Cadets horns/drums utilize the least amount of dance in their drill and choreography? Some shows rely almost exclusively on elements of dance in creating the visual element for the corps proper but when the Cadets attempt such movement, it often appears mechanical and superficial. That corps spends more time MARCHING WHILE PLAYING - or just straight up marching - than nearly all other corps.

I just found that traditional marching/playing element to be at odds with their typical show design choices. So much so that it made me wonder whether the evolution of the marching element is in fact a more major shift in the activity than the designs of any show from a thematic, instrumental, or theatric standpoint.

Had anyone else noticed this?

I had noticed the lack of body movement/dance in their 2010 program, especially when compared to the corps around them (Phantom and Crown). I appreciate straight up marching/playing though - not every corps needs crazy body movement. Although their shows may be "controversial" in a sense, IMO they have been quite traditional the past few years (especially drill wise).

"I had noticed the lack of body movement/dance in their 2010 program"

Well it is kinda hard to dance around and be liquid in your movements when you're a wooden soldier...

I thought this Cadets 2010 program was classy, heartwarming, humorous, and drum corps-ish all the way.

I've always thought that when they DO the body movement/dance stuff, it seems more contrived and added almost as an after-thought because it's an element they "need" for the judges.

While I think Crown does it the most (and it gets on my nerves a bit), I feel that they do it the best.

Watching some of All Access, it seems like this year's body movements for Cadets makes much more sense for the show. I'm more than pumped for this program.

Edited by chaddyt

IMO Body movement shouldn't even be in the shows unless they make an obvious connection to the theme.

I find it incredibly hard to figure out why sometimes there is a dance section in a show, other than the fact that it "adds variety to the visual program".

• Like 2

"I had noticed the lack of body movement/dance in their 2010 program"

Well it is kinda hard to dance around and be liquid in your movements when you're a wooden soldier...

I thought this Cadets 2010 program was classy, heartwarming, humorous, and drum corps-ish all the way.

I agree. The Cadets marchers body movements in their 2010 show seemed to fit their theme well. As a matter of fact, I thought a couple of other Corps brass and percussion marchers body movements did not fit that Corps theme at all, and rather it looked like it was thrown into the show as something that is in vogue now for Corps marchers body movements while marching and playing.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I had noticed the lack of body movement/dance in their 2010 program, especially when compared to the corps around them (Phantom and Crown). I appreciate straight up marching/playing though - not every corps needs crazy body movement. Although their shows may be "controversial" in a sense, IMO they have been quite traditional the past few years (especially drill wise).

Phantom didn't do to much dance, either.

• Like 2

IMO Body movement shouldn't even be in the shows unless they make an obvious connection to the theme.

I find it incredibly hard to figure out why sometimes there is a dance section in a show, other than the fact that it "adds variety to the visual program".

that's the exact reason. Only so much you can do with a musical arrangement, so designers max out the visual aspect. Doing some of those body movements are EXTREMELY hard to choreograph while playing.

• Like 1

that's the exact reason. Only so much you can do with a musical arrangement, so designers max out the visual aspect. Doing some of those body movements are EXTREMELY hard to choreograph while playing.

But what do they MEAN to the show? I watch some of this stuff and honestly have no idea WHY they are there other than simply adding variety. IMO that's not a good reason.

Sometimes the choreography makes sense to me. For instance, Cadets' bit of choreography last year was clearly trying to emulate a toy soldier.

Most of the time, I have no idea why it's there. Like the opening of CCrown's 2010 show. Why all the squatting and leaning? It's clearly there to max out on variety. But what does it have to do with the rest of the show?

To me it's like watching a Michael Bay movie. "Okay there's a bunch of explosions, and I guess it kinda looks cool... but why was I just forced to watch that?" Given, this might have more to do with Michael Bay's terrible character development and less to do with the unnecessary action scenes... but it's the best analogy I could come up with on the spot.

Perhaps a better analogy would be BOA shows with unnecessary and distracting props.

That's just the way I feel about it anyways.

• Like 2

There is often not a thematic connection because it isn't viewed as "extra." It's simply as integral as marching a particular set. What do most sets have to do with the theme? Sometimes there is a connection but many times, it simply fits the music. The dance element is the same way. You should spend time around a corps to see how that develops (and I'm sure it's approached differently everywhere). But it seems that it's viewed not as an extra element but as a core component. Impossible to know from the outside in, I'll give you that.

• Like 2