Good will, friendship, positive vibes, (Love) in Drum Corps

First post, long time lurker...Here is a class act by Crown.

• Like 1

The Crossmen/Spirit relationship is a long one. During my time with Spirit my favorite corps-love memories involved the Crossmen.

1)When we played our corps songs for eachother in a circle it was cool. When we learned each others music and played in a combined arc together it was EVEN cooler. This activity is all about passion. When you're in a staggered arc with a Crossmen on either side of you and you can feel when they're putting into Russian Christmas Music from a 6 inch distance it is pretty intense. It practically travels from elbow to elbow down the arc. It was unforgettable.

2)When Crossmen didn't make finals in 07 we made a cross on the field in our retreat block. We borrowed a hat and a banner from the Crossmen to put in the center of it.

Though goofing off in retreat block were some of my favorite memories from every year, I wanted to stand in the center of that cross. I was marching in 04 when the Crossmen put a delta on the field for us. It was special and important to me.

At the end of retreat I rolled up the banner and hat and returned it to an age out who was dangling over the railing at the side of the stadium. I'll never forget the hug I got. I told him that I'd been on the line when they did this for us. I knew just where his loss of words was coming from. I didn't have words either when I saw that delta start to take shape on the field. I just cried.

3) In 08, after I aged out Spirit and Crossmen arced it up and played for each other on a dark track after a show. My first time really listening to Georgia as an alum and I got to hear Crossmen too that night. I was beside myself. Sometimes we talk a lot about what is different from when we marched, but this is the type of stuff that doesn't really change at all. I think that is a really good thing.

• Like 1

I haven't read this whole thread but something dawned on me that well-represents the title and sub-title of this thread. Maybe Ron Gunn has already piped up on this point...

I've been buying blocks of 10 sets of finals tickets for over 15 years from my Friends membership. The most I've ever taken from my family was four in the early years, but it's just my son and I now mostly. So I've always sold extra tickets through RAMD back in the day, and here for a long time.

I've always felt that, if I can't trust drum corps fans to keep their word and be pleasant to work with, I can't trust anyone. Naive, maybe, but it's the one area of my non-family life where I don't have to be cynical. I've not once had a ticket deal go bad. Generally, drum corps fans are great to do business with and, while some personality are bubblier than others, I've never had to question whether ticket money was coming or a meeting to swap money for tickets would be missed. I've sent tickets at the last minute with only the hope that the payment would arrive. I've never been disappointed.

In this cynical day and age it's great to work under an agreement of trust that's not found too common today.

Atsa Nice-a!

Edited by garfield

I remember in 2005 SCV's drum majors saluting The Cadets after their win. Also the Scouts were always shaking our hands after shows throughout the season. Maybe because they were beating us all year. haha jk

Scouts and SCV -- Getting to sit in the middle of these two hornlines playing our/their corps songs for one another after Allentown '09 was one of the most touching things I've experienced.

Scouts pit and everybody, when it rains -- in '09 we spent some quality time hiding from the rain at a show with the Blue Stars. Next summer we shared a similar experience with the Spirit frontline. Small details of intercorps fraternity like that really leave a lasting impression on me, even if it's just hanging out in someone's trailer, trading stories and maybe bus snacks.

As far as being on the receiving end of good relationships, our pit had a gong malfunction midseason and ended up borrowing a gong at shows from Spirit and Crown.

[joke about Scouts and Crossmen... really, that hatchet was pretty well buried last year, I feel. I don't think the pits of either group ever really cared about it anyway]

Edited by Stryfe
  • Like 1

It is great the way drum corps people are always helping me get to/from shows, bus stations, hotels, etc!

I don't drive. I don't have a driver's license. I am a very dangerous driver because of bad habits developed while doing Pizza delivery. To save my life and the lives of others, I took myself off the road in 1996. I let Greyound do the driving, for the most part. however, Greyhouind cannot get me from the Station to my Hotel or from my Hotel to the show site, etc. That's where drum corps people have time and again, stepped in to help me.

Example:

I was stranded in De Kalb, IL after a competition. The person I thought was my ride disappeared after the show. I was stuck and the closest Greayhound station with buses running that night was in Chicago! After asking what must have been a hundred people if they were headed toward Chicago, i saw Mike Boo! I told him of my plight and he quickly responded, "Sure, Ron! I'll give you a ride to the Greyhound station!" A few minute later, we were on our way, exchanging drum corps stories and enjoying Mikes unique brand of humor. It was an enjoyable ride and he even got me to the station in time for me to catch my bus back to Syracuse!

Once again, Thanks Mike! You are a life-saver! Please, come to the Ham-Fam in Allentown at 4 pm on Friday or Saturday of DCI East. Dinner is on me!

Way back in August, 1975, the Concord Blue Devils were rehearsing in the Boston area in preperation for the World Open competition the next day. I visited the practice site and met Jerry Seawright, the Corps director. Many people since then have said many things about Jerry, some of which have really gotten my blood to boil. But regardless of what others say, i will always remember Mr. Seawright as one of the best friends I have ever had in this life! When i was hungry, he made sure I was fed. When I needed a place to sleep, he made sure I had one. When I needed a way to get from show to show, he suggested that I travel with the Corps! Jerry took care of me, watched over me and befriended me at a time when true friends were very hard for me to find!

Thank you, Jerry, and all those who taught, worked and marched under him! Thank you for changing my life.....for the better!

I wear a Blue Devils button at Finals to remember Jerry!

One of the coolest things about Drum corps is how so many people connect with each other, even if they don't know each other very well! There are hundreds of people who attand competitions who I don't see all year long, except in the summer at a competition. Yet, these people, whom I barely know, keep inviting me into their homes, taking me to dinner, giving me rides, and so much more! i spend a little time on Facebook these days and I am getting more and more "Friends Requests" every day! Sometimes i ask myself, "Who is this person", but when i see that he or she is involved in Drum corps, it is an easy thing for me to add that person to my Friends list! After all, the connection i feel with others in Drum Corps is a "Family" connection! It's like saying "yes" to a brother, sister, cousin, long-time friend, etc.

Don't you agree?

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

In 1958, shortly before American Legion Nationals in Chicago, Holy Name Parish withdrew their sponsorship of the Cadets and recalled their uniforms & equipment. The Corps members put together an impromptu uniform of white polo shirts, Bermuda shorts and white Aussie hats (which I believe were loaned to them from Scout House). They paid their own way to Chicago, where the Chicago Cavaliers loaned them their equipment for the competition. Finals results were Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 1st, Garfield Cadets 2nd, and the Cavaliers 3rd. Cavalier President & Founder Don Warren jokingly told them that if he'd known they were going to beat the Cavaliers he would have never loaned them anything.

It was the beginning of a long running friendship between the Green & the Maroon.

• Like 1