When did corps start to roll their feet?

Oh, one other thing I would like to add to this "topic". Back in the "days" we had to make our stride consistant at 23 1/2" at least 90% of the drill, the rolling of the feet wasn't as pronounced. I observe from videos now that when the stride is really "short" and especially slow then the heel to toe is Very pronounced. Not sure when that really started.

22 1/2"?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed on the miscomunication. B)

What do you say we start over? :angel:

Edited by MsBusDriver

• 2 weeks later...

lmao.....as a drummer, I knew one move......"make it look like my feet were moving" :P

• 2 weeks later...

I believe George Zingali innovated the roll as a way to be able to maintain proper posture while marching. He actually taught me how to march properly when I marched 27. My husband marched in 78 and yes he said they did it then too.

Edited by Lancerlady

I believe George Zingali innovated the roll as a way to be able to maintain proper posture while marching. He actually taught me how to march properly when I marched 27.

w/Stp:

minus the 27 :)

Interesting thread and the vast age differences of the posters show here...

The actual answer to the question asked is probably 1963. "heel and toe and away you go" combined with changing step size from 6 per 5 yards to 8 per 5 yards was all developed by a diminutive quiet giant named Fred Gebhardt.

Simultaneously, Jim Jones switched Troopers over about the same period - it became far more pronounced after the two compared notes... it was not necessarilly an accident that West Genesee looked more like Troopers than Troopers did. The men did admire each other.

Gebby's work at the time was with Brigadiers, Frankfurt Starlighters and West Genesee Wildcats (and later with Mighty St. Joe's)

Both men only utilized the high mark time for a desired effect.

It was the fact that this new controlled movement allowed far better control of the embrochure - consequently much cleaner Brass and Visual - YES fewer ticks - that ended in final acceptance by all. Of course this took almost 20 years to fully kick in. The final capitualation was often spear headed by brass instructors who saw so much more opportunity to play the instruments correctly and accurately.

I would love to have been a little bird at Skyliner rehearsals in the 70's when Gebby switched them over... must have been interesting.

By the way, I'm not a know it all - I'm just OLD and lived through it...

Thanks for that explanation, Tom! It's always great to find out a little more drum corps history. I figured corps had to be doing it before the early '80s. After all, my high school band director didn't claim it as an original thought. He credited it to drum corps, and we were marching that style in the early '70s. I've always remembered the corps he cited being Santa Clara . . . which would make sense, if Troopers were one of the corps that started using that style. Didn't Pete Emmons march Troopers? (I'm thinking he was their drum major in the mid-'60s.)

Check Troopers website for pictures of Pete Emmons as Troopers DM in 65. He marched one non-comp gig with us (67 Kingsmen) as DM...same gig featured Rocco in the sop squad...I had to run him (Roc) out out of my slot after I finished my part in the "Bill Bailey" quartet and headed backfield to hook up with the rest of the corps (you can hear me on that little back-pressure POS baritone if you turn it up real loud: I had the obligatto part on top)..... and I must report he (Emmons) was great!! One of the best DMs in the activity. His talents were never over-rated....a total class act!

RON HOUSLEY

• 4 weeks later...

I remember 3 things when I moved from the guard to the hornline in 1970......

1. "Intervals!"

2. "Heel, Ball-of-the-foot, Toe" and

3. A yard stick measuring to ensure that we were taking a 22 1/2 inch step

Also, knee height was important, phasing was bad and if you stood still for more than 16 counts (except for concert) you were ticked.