Carolina Crown's Annual Budget

This video posted on Crown's website spells out the big line items in their budget, and I found it really interesting:

http://carolinacrown.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=242&Itemid=580

Summary:

$450,000 Instruments and Uniforms

$200,000 Vehicles

$300,000 Transportation

$185,000 Faculty

$125,000 Food

That adds up to $8400 per member. $3000/member just for the uniform and instruments.

Does anyone know if any corps regularly release this kind of information? I'd be really curious to see how various corps stack up from year to year.

This video posted on Crown's website spells out the big line items in their budget, and I found it really interesting:

http://carolinacrown.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=242&Itemid=580

Summary:

$200,000 Vehicles

$300,000 Transportation

$185,000 Faculty

$125,000 Food

That adds up to $8400 per member. $3000/member just for the uniform and instruments.

Does anyone know if any corps regularly release this kind of information? I'd be really curious to see how various corps stack up from year to year.

My guess is that the cost of uniforms and instruments are provided in full, but on the income side will be discounts/"donations" from the manufacturer and the amount received when they resell to high school bands. It is expensive to field a drum and bugle corps these days, but all of the income does not come from cash donations, member dues and show receipts.

Edited by mcjordansc

It's a fundraising video. Creative accounting increases the percieved need of the organization.

I am quite sure that the figure for Instruments and Uniforms is misleading. Their contract on the uniforms is for ever other year replacement, and I would think that the uniforms are at a significant "sponsorship" discount. I am also under the impression that Yamaha provides them with instruments at a very low cost, then they resale the instruments each year and have also been known to rent out a set. I am not saying that amount is a lie, I am just saying that is a multiple year total and excludes any discounts and money returned from instrument sales.

Their Vehicle and Transportation categories total a half million dollars. That's likely the total cost of transportation, maybe including activities other than the corps itself, and likely includes the full cost of any vehicles even though they use those for multiple years. Even the food cost sounds a little suspect, although it is not inconcievable.

I am not suggesting that they have done anything wrong, they did what they felt they needed to do to make their point, but I doubt some of those figures would be confirmed by an outside audit as annual cost for just the corps alone.

• Like 1

Not much information in these very broad budget categories. Trying to understand the numbers.

First question that jumps out - can someone explain the difference between "vehicles" and "transportation"? Isn't that the same thing?

What exactly is it that you are looking to find?

I know how to find some of that information for every corps, if you are interested, PM me.

Summary:

$200,000 Vehicles

$300,000 Transportation

$185,000 Faculty

$125,000 Food

First of all, top corps don't pay for uniforms and instruments.

Vehicle. Is that a rental fee? Gas money? Driver pay? Repairs for corps owned vehicles?

Transportation. See above.

Faculty. Not sure about this number. Probably pretty close to normal.

Food. Probably pretty close.

I estimated, based upon $4 a gallon and 12,000 miles (both diesel and gasoline) that with the Blue Stars' convoy (2 semis, 2 RVs, 2 box trucks and a passenger van) NOT including the tour buses, that fuel will cost somewhere in the neighborhood 40k-45k for the season.

That doesn't include the cost of leasing the semi trucks, nor the cost of hiring the tour bus company.

Souvenir sales often go directly into a corps fuel tank. Please buy souvenirs!