Will G8 shows stimulate competitiveness?

Lets say for the sake of argument, that last year's 14th place corps (Academy) makes such jump this year. Will the Theatre events/Tour of Champions still continue to broadcast/feature the "G8"?

Theoretically if they do TOC events next year they would feature the top 8 from this year, but DCI isn't committed to TOC beyond this year. Next year there will likely be some new gimmick that will be promised by DCI to revolutionize drum corps and which all of us on DCP will swear will destroy drum corps, etc, etc.

After reading the reviews and all the nonsense on the field to create a theme and storyline I just saved 12.50. Theater is 10 mins four stops on the train. Not going to see who is going to get 75.05 and 74.03. Who cares. Crawling on the field,scaffolding,two differant color uniforms,building a house on the field,chop chop,slop slop. THe corps should have used the 4 days of travel for rehearsal. Oh wait, they rehearse for 7 weeks and then have a show in august.

So.... you don't like drum corps?

A few things:

2) as to your questions about competitiveness, I think this absolutely adds another layer to competition. I KNOW that corps competing tomorrow night vs their biggest competition have been teaching/cleaning with an extra edge these past few weeks, knowing they'll have a good idea ASAP where they stand this summer. While it's early, LOTS of changes and cleaning will be coming, and the first show winner doesn't necessarily translate into the Finals winner, it will tell corps designers/staffers how close their design and performance is to their nearest competitors. I've gotten the sense that the "we don't need to stress things until July, since we don't really have major competition for awhile" mentality is non-existent this year for the Top 8.

But we'll see; I think these shows are nothing but excitement for all!

Just quoted your middle statement. I agree with this completely. Performing head to head will stimulate competition. And I doubt that I hear as much about the west coast whatever with this format.

After reading the reviews and all the nonsense on the field to create a theme and storyline I just saved 12.50. Theater is 10 mins four stops on the train. Not going to see who is going to get 75.05 and 74.03. Who cares. Crawling on the field,scaffolding,two differant color uniforms,building a house on the field,chop chop,slop slop. THe corps should have used the 4 days of travel for rehearsal. Oh wait, they rehearse for 7 weeks and then have a show in august.

Good decision as I'm sure the other theater goers will be happy to not have to deal with your pathetic negativity. There's always Badmiton, try not to bit## about the color of the birdies...

2) as to your questions about competitiveness, I think this absolutely adds another layer to competition. I KNOW that corps competing tomorrow night vs their biggest competition have been teaching/cleaning with an extra edge these past few weeks, knowing they'll have a good idea ASAP where they stand this summer. While it's early, LOTS of changes and cleaning will be coming, and the first show winner doesn't necessarily translate into the Finals winner, it will tell corps designers/staffers how close their design and performance is to their nearest competitors. I've gotten the sense that the "we don't need to stress things until July, since we don't really have major competition for awhile" mentality is non-existent this year for the Top 8.

Do you know that? Perhaps you would be willing to rate all world class corps on how hard they were working when you went to see rehearsal? so the rest of us who haven't had that opportunity can get a better feel for who is trying hard in rehearsal. thanks.

Good decision as I'm sure the other theater goers will be happy to not have to deal with your pathetic negativity. There's always Badmiton, try not to bit## about the color of the birdies...

Whats so pathetic about me not liking the shows? Or the format? I just read the reviews of the corps and went with your fellow dcp members. actually the theater I go to laughs at most of the shows so maybe i would have had fun. shucks.

Just quoted your middle statement. I agree with this completely. Performing head to head will stimulate competition. And I doubt that I hear as much about the west coast whatever with this format.

While one can look at the different placements from Friday to Saturday in many different ways (I know that one corps who changed placement from Sat. - Sun. had to do with a better performance Sunday and a not-as-good performance Saturday), I think one could argue that the format of these shows being all of the Top 8 head-to-head perhaps gave corps/members an extra edge to learn their show, rehearse well, and perform the crap out of opening weekend!