Treating a Corps

Any kind of catering service is a fun treat for the kids (and a night off for the cooks)!

A nice, easy treat that I've used several times is ice cream cups. They come 48 4oz per box so 4 boxes takes care of the entire corps/staff. The folks on the food truck also appreciate the fact they are individual servings saving them the trouble of having to scoop out of buckets. The boxes also don't take up a lot of freezer space so the crew can give them to the corps when it best fits their schedule.

Our school has housed many corps over the years and the Bluecoats hold camp just a few miles away. I try to do the ice cream treat for them every year. There's a GREAT local premium ice cream company near us which makes it even easier because they will deliver it right to the food truck.

It's great that you're doing this. The kids really do appreciate it.

Fresh fruit is amazing. There's nothing better than biting into a really juicy plum after a long day's work. Made all the better because it's not often that one sees plums on tour.

Also, fresh veggies such as corn on the cob are fantastic. Basically, anything not out of a box or frozen.

So, if you were going to get something for a corps as a treat/meal, what would you get them?

I need some ideas.

I would donate INT some American Cheese... they've been known to run out in the past, and a lot of fans seem to like the cheese at INT.

2 bottles of Gatorade (or Powerade) each.

One for them to drink right there on the field/track/parking lot; the other for them to carry with them on the bus.

I vividly remember when alumni of a particular section would hook up as we passed through their hometown. It was like winning a mini-lottery.

Donate. Donate as much as you can - fruit, BBQ, ice cream, Gatorade - you name it.

But make sure what your giving doesn't tax the food crew and the corps. In other words, don't be the guy whose idea of making a spaghetti dinner for the corps was for him to make the sauce and for the food truck to add to it meatballs, spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, etc. (It happened while I was on tour. And it wasn't enough sauce anyway!)

If you want the kids to have cold PowerAde, then you have to bring the ice and the buckets to hold it. There isn't room in the fridge. And even if there were, think of how hard that fridge must work on generator power on the blacktop in 95 degree heat just to keep the milk and meat at a safe temperature. You throw a hundred bottles of trunk-temperature liquid into that fridge one afternoon when the door is opening and closing for dinner prep and you just might have milk as tepid as the Glacier Freeze or the Mountain Shatter.

Think storage too. Love the cupcakes, but if you're dropping them off for tomorrow, recognize that this is a moving kitchen not meant for keeping stacks of frosting pristine. Brownies and cookies travel better. Or let us eat the cupcakes today!

Coordinate with the food truck. Bring good stuff. Just coordinate.

HH

I'm remembering with fondness that back in the early 70's, many states had a legal drinking age of 18, and the many VFW halls that let those of us 18 or older have a few frosty ones at the bar while the younger kids had watermelon on a hot summer night.

I remember one VFW hall we stayed at where all the locals brought their BBQ pits and served us real, home made hamburgers and sausage. What a treat.

Those food trucks do an outstanding job but if the corps is going to be somewhere for a few days, being able to line up enough people to bring BBQ pits and meat ( figure 20 pits each serving 20 people ) THAT would be wonderful. Cooks get a night off and kids get some home style BBQ hamburgers.

Those VFW and AL guys were always great to us ! A huge thank you to those guys :worthy:

Dang, now I gotta go crank up the grill !

There are a lot of non-food things that they'd like (especially mid-tour) that don't require as much coordination with the food truck: black socks, sunscreen, new toothbrushes, lip balm, etc. Seriously, if you could get black socks in bulk for a low price, kids would be thrilled to have them. I give out care packages to random marching members and the sunscreen, spray cheese, candy, etc is always overshadowed by the fact that they have new socks!

If you can go and volunteer for a day, that's sometimes better than just bringing food- especially if they are short staffed that week. The corps would appreciate you washing dishes or making a bread & milk run too.

If you absolutely must do food, definitely talk to the tour manager well in advance. Then they can work your gift into their schedule.

Terri and others: I've been in contact with the volunteer coordinator a few times. She and I have discussed some things, but it will come down to where the corps ends up with their housing site. (I've done this before...just wanting new ideas.)

Bill: I'm going to Nashville to watch the tour premiere. I have some shopping to do in Green Hills and could also swing down to Murfreesboro as well to do some price/value comparisons.

I'm fairly sure that one night I'll get them ice cream. I've already done some online shopping and have noticed that the Maggie Moo's does catering. I'll see how cost-effective it is. There's also a Baskin-Robbins and Marble Slab Creamery for comparison.

I like the BBQ idea as well. However, the worrier in me says, "What happens if they get food poisoning?" There are a few places in the area that I'll be checking out as well. I have an inside connection at Calhoun's, but it's a little far from both possible housing spots.

I also have an inside connection within the corps this year and am trying to get them to see what all the members might like.

Great ideas so far! Keep them coming!

Edited by chaos001