wildwood

First- let me say that I appreciate your opinion and I am in no way "flaming, or bashing" you. I think some of your points are valid, but others, are way off. It has been YEARS since Cabs played a whole show of Malaguena or Spanish Fantasy. In fact, the last time the corps played the actual piece (and not just a small chunk of these charts) was 2008 where both selections were prominately featured in the show. Before 2008, the last time the corps played Malaguena and Spanish Fantasy was in 1996. As another person posted, this year the Cabs are only playing a small lick of Spanish Fantasy (25 seconds worth). I'm guessing this was to fit with their show concept "Heritage". Similarly, their closer has "undertones" of Malaguena but the piece is actually entierly original I believe. 25 seconds is a far cry from a whole show, or even a 3 minute chart.

2009 features Original music along with a chart from Arturo Sandoval, and 2010 was (to my knowledge as a spectator) completely original. 2011 features 3 originial charts (with only mild hints of past selections) including a Balad writen exclusivly for the Cabs in memory of Cos.

I imagine the Cabs hear this kind of stuff all the time. People have to realize that Cabs DO introduce new music and new themes every year! As mentioned above, because of their style and history, anything they perform will have their Latin flare but it doesnt mean its the same stuff every year!

I believe its becoming harder and harder for the Cabs to bring out new, fresh concepts because they are to a degree, restricted by their own style. But I'm willing to be bet if there ever was a corps to pull it off, it would be them. They are a competitor every year and will continue to be a competitor in the future.

Hmmm...I'm wondering if people making comments about Cabs "Latin Style" make the same complaints when mentioning Scouts?.

Cabs have been doing "this thing of ours" for a long time. Therefore if the music is Latin they've probably played it...lol.

Hmmm...I'm wondering if people making comments about Cabs "Latin Style" make the same complaints when mentioning Scouts?.

Cabs have been doing "this thing of ours" for a long time. Therefore if the music is Latin they've probably played it...lol.

Well, they did... when the Scouts started having problems staying in Finals at DCI. What is ironic is that them playing "old" classics is what helped them get back into Finals last year.

I happen to think that the Cabs are stuck in a rut, so to speak: the corps has been down in quality since its 2nd place finish in 2007, and I think the show design since then has been largely based on 'recapturing' the past Caballeros that were a DCA dynasty-- the Caballeros that owned the 70s and 80s, and were never out of the hunt in the 90s (and some say screwed out of at least one if not more titles that decade.) The problem with all of this is that the corps, in its identity, talks so much about tradition that it defines itself by the past glory of the corps. The 1975 Caballeros (with the very large exceptions of Mike Ryan and Lou Stork) aren't going to help them win the DCA.

The Caballeros have a more difficult job than most in picking their show music. A corps wearing sombreros, a satin blouse, and kickpleats is going to look silly playing music that doesn't have that Latin groove. But that doesn't mean they need to focus on past rep. The most successful stretch for the Cabs in the last decade was 03, 04, 06, 07. (05 was a disaster.) All of those years were shows that (yes, even '07's Carmen) had a Latin groove, but were largely original and sort of abstract shows with great hornlines and powerful writing. These shows did not apologize. The most recent shows, from '08-'11, they apologize for the poor state of the corps skill level due to its youth (the corps was hit hard by long-time members moving on with their lives-- getting married, having children, etc.) by re-using Caballero 'classics' like Malaguena and Spanish Fantasy.

The Caballeros need to stop apologizing and being stuck in the past and start innovating again like they did from '03-'07. You're not going to pull in new, talented young folk by showing them grainy videos and low-quality recordings from 30 years or more ago. Latin music is so deep and vibrant. If the Cabs could make 19th century French opera groove, they can make anything groove. They need to innovate in designing their whole show and picking music that, when creatively and innovatively arranged, will groove like every other great Caballeros corps before them while doing them honor by being the best corps in DCA again.

[if you haven't guessed by now, I'm a Cabs alum.]

Edited by tarpal
  • Like 1

Man. I wish high school football teams would heed VOR's advice. If the team comes out and loses the first game by more than 7 points we should just pack it up and call it a season. I think every band director here would love to have their Friday nights back! :-b

In all seriousness, I can't wait to see everything in a few weeks! I'm sure all the shows are awesome.

I happen to think that the Cabs are stuck in a rut, so to speak: the corps has been down in quality since its 2nd place finish in 2007, and I think the show design since then has been largely based on 'recapturing' the past Caballeros that were a DCA dynasty-- the Caballeros that owned the 70s and 80s, and were never out of the hunt in the 90s (and some say screwed out of at least one if not more titles that decade.) The problem with all of this is that the corps, in its identity, talks so much about tradition that it defines itself by the past glory of the corps. The 1975 Caballeros (with the very large exceptions of Mike Ryan and Lou Stork) aren't going to help them win the DCA.

The Caballeros have a more difficult job than most in picking their show music. A corps wearing sombreros, a satin blouse, and kickpleats is going to look silly playing music that doesn't have that Latin groove. But that doesn't mean they need to focus on past rep. The most successful stretch for the Cabs in the last decade was 03, 04, 06, 07. (05 was a disaster.) All of those years were shows that (yes, even '07's Carmen) had a Latin groove, but were largely original and sort of abstract shows with great hornlines and powerful writing. These shows did not apologize. The most recent shows, from '08-'11, they apologize for the poor state of the corps skill level due to its youth (the corps was hit hard by long-time members moving on with their lives-- getting married, having children, etc.) by re-using Caballero 'classics' like Malaguena and Spanish Fantasy.

The Caballeros need to stop apologizing and being stuck in the past and start innovating again like they did from '03-'07. You're not going to pull in new, talented young folk by showing them grainy videos and low-quality recordings from 30 years or more ago. Latin music is so deep and vibrant. If the Cabs could make 19th century French opera groove, they can make anything groove. They need to innovate in designing their whole show and picking music that, when creatively and innovatively arranged, will groove like every other great Caballeros corps before them while doing them honor by being the best corps in DCA again.

[if you haven't guessed by now, I'm a Cabs alum.]

Man...am I baffled by this post....I'm taking this private!

Man...am I baffled by this post....I'm taking this private!

You beat me to it, Frank. I am baffled, too, because I'm not sure of the stance. Sticking to their guns and not being ashamed on one hand....and stuck in a rut on the other seem to be mutually exclusive. It sound like "stick to their rut".....(and remain in fifth place).

I'll choose half and agree with it. NEVER be ashamed of the Latin music and Latin uniforms...... never forget who you were, are, and will be. After all, isn't the 2011 show entitled "Heritage: The Days of Future Past"????? That says it ALL.

Let Labor Day take care of itself.

Joe Dz in NJ

I don't think Cabs are in a rut. They are a top 5 finalist every year. Nothing to be ashamed of.

If they expect to position themselves for a championship they are going to have to clean things up from a visual standpoint.

Generally speaking I like the Cabs hornline book over most of the corps in DCA. Latin Grooves are so much easier to hum and tap your feet too than some of the abstract artsy stuff some of the other corps play year end and year out.

• Like 1

You beat me to it, Frank. I am baffled, too, because I'm not sure of the stance. Sticking to their guns and not being ashamed on one hand....and stuck in a rut on the other seem to be mutually exclusive. It sound like "stick to their rut".....(and remain in fifth place).

I'll choose half and agree with it. NEVER be ashamed of the Latin music and Latin uniforms...... never forget who you were, are, and will be. After all, isn't the 2011 show entitled "Heritage: The Days of Future Past"????? That says it ALL.

Let Labor Day take care of itself.

Joe Dz in NJ

I look to '03 as my favorite example of what the Cabs can do in maintaining their style without being a slave to its past-- a decidedly Latin show with no material (besides, of course, the iconic rumps, which should always be there in some way). And I'm taking exception with design, mostly. I'll never doubt the Caballeros membership. They're a determined bunch.

I don't think that any member of the Caballeros is actively or even consciously feeling apologetic. I just get the feeling that the shows after '07 are about recapturing the past, not being the present corps and being current with the cutting edge of the DCA. The show needs to cohere more, and I don't think they have been since '04, really.

• Like 1

I would think it is a credit to the Cabs' overall consistency as a top contender that the past few 5th-place finishes are considered "down" years for them, by several people.

I know of any number of corps that would kill for 5th-place finishes.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

I would think it is a credit to the Cabs' overall consistency as a top contender that the past few 5th-place finishes are considered "down" years for them, by several people.

I know of any number of corps that would kill for 5th-place finishes.

Yeah, but a corps that is just placing 10th every year would feel ok with just placing 10th... even if they never fall out of Finals (like some groups). They would want to keep striving for better, otherwise, they would fall from where they are. The Cabs are similar in this regard. I am not saying that they are not interested in winning or doing better, but people on the outside just view their "lower" finishes as a sign of needing to change things in order to get back to their winning ways.

You are right that most corps would kill for a 5th place finish, but I do not believe the Cabs are one of those corps.