wildwood

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As a Sunriser alum, I don't think I've ever been as proud of my old corps... even during their great run of the late 1970s through the 1980s, or any of their comeback years in recent times... as I was on Saturday.

I hope the full story is told someday... but the current version of the Sunrisers is a corps that is really going back to the roots of the activity, taking young people off some tough streets in the part of Long Island where the corps is now based. Among other things, I was told one story of one of the "new" Sunrisers.... that it was basically a choice of him either being in the corps, or being recruited by a local gang.

I watched the corps rehearse Saturday. The members are disciplined, tough, enthusiastic and smart.

Of course they are behind right now on the scoresheets... and they do have a lot of work to do to narrow the gap between them and the top Class A corps this season. But honestly, and I know it sounds like a worn-out cliche... I don't care where they place this season.

It certainly seems that if they can hold onto a nucleus of their current membership, they can start to build a base of "battle-tested" young veterans that will help the corps grow and prosper in the future.

Hats off to Gary Williams, Nat Mazyck and the rest of the Sunrisers' management, show staff and support staff for their hard work and determination, as they look to get this great, historic corps back on the field and established as an active member of the Long Island community. They... and the current members of the corps... are true-blue Sunrisers, without question.

Fran, you are so right about the corps. I've been around them all winter and spring. You could not a better

group to be around. I'm very proud of them and they will be the nucleus of the next great Sunrisers corps.

As for Cabs, its long been time to branch out of the Spanish Fantasy/Malaguena world. It's just not working like it used to. I know alot of Cabs fans will cringe at this thought, but just take a look at the last 6 or 7 seasons. The only time they have come close to beating the Bucs was when they played a Carmen show. Not a far throw from their tradition, but different enough to make them a contender. Do more like that one. :blink:

I agree! However, you should note that in 2009 and 2010 their shows were almost completely original and didn't feature charts they had performed in the recent past. Its not like they are pulling out Malaguena every year. As a fan of the Cabs, even I would be turned off by that point.

:music:

Edited by irishbugle

The difference is that in 2003 the Cabs were slotted in first place after the inaugural contest.

This was the first show of 2003 for both Cabs and Brigs....

June 28, 2003

Bridgeport, CT

1. Caballeros 71.275

2. Buccaneers 70.438

3. Bushwackers 66.700

4. Hurricanes 64.750

5. Skyliners 59.900

June 28, 2003

Buffalo, NY

1. Brigadiers 72.800

2. Empire Statesmen 67.300

3. Crusaders 64.500

Sorry...the Cabs were NOT slotted in First place....Don't forget...the Brigs were coming off of their 3rd UNDEFEATED season in a row as well, and 4th consecutive DCA Championship, and if ANYONE was slotted, it was the Brigs, not the Cabs! But the fact is that the Brigs went undefeated the entire year up until the weekend before DCA's in 2003, beating Cabs once during the course of the year.

Edited by FPonzo
  • Like 1

Apologies if my first post sounded a tad "harsh". I based my comments on the assumption that the Cabs always have winning the championship (and dethroning the Bucs) as their top priority.

See my previous comments....this is absolutely correct!!! Our goal is the DCA Championship!!

All the best to you and the Cabs!

I thank you very much!!!

Edited by FPonzo

Having read the reviews, I am glad to hear that the Bucs show sounds like a barnburner. They have earned the right to have some fun. Maybe the fans in Rochester will give them a little more love this year? As for Cabs, its long been time to branch out of the Spanish Fantasy/Malaguena world. It's just not working like it used to. I know alot of Cabs fans will cringe at this thought, but just take a look at the last 6 or 7 seasons. The only time they have come close to beating the Bucs was when they played a Carmen show. Not a far throw from their tradition, but different enough to make them a contender. Do more like that one. :blink:

OUCH!!!! :ohmy:

Our entire show is original music EXCEPT for 25 seconds of "Spanish Fantasy", and NO Malaguena at all!

I am asking in a very nice tone (becasue we all know how typing can sometimes be miscommunicated)....Before forming an opinion, please come see the show, understand the show, watch the visual diuring this 25 seconds, and then let me know what you think. Without getting into details, there is SO much more in store for this show, that by DCA's, it will all make sense...I promise!!!

I'm not going to spend too much time taking these early season scores too seriously. I thought it was worth mentioning that last year's Cabs drum line started out the season with a lot of cleanliness issues @ the first Bridgeport show. During the late August Bridgeport show they were completely on fire and achieved a 3rd place finish by finals.

Edited by HurcsGuyGD.

<snip>

As for Cabs, its long been time to branch out of the Spanish Fantasy/Malaguena world. It's just not working like it used to.

<end snip>

1. There is always criticism of Cabs for sticking with a Spanish Theme...... however, SPAMISH music (and Broadway) make up a large part of the DCA music. In 2011, AT LEAST the Centurians, Mass Brass, Bucs, 'Gades, Cinn. Tradition, Excelsior, Windsor Regt, Chops (and probably some of the not-yet-released line ups, include some Spanish music. The 2010 Golden Eagles and Freelancers excelled with Spanish music.

Why is it OK for others to play Spanish music , but Old Hat, errrr..... I mean...."Old Sombraro" for the Cabs?

2. Further (and not from the Oldephard post) to say that Cabs Alumni drum line plays only rudiments, is like saying that the Lombardi Packers "only" used running plays. The sweet sound of the Cab Alumni drum line is like watching the Green Bay sweep move 20 yards...sweet indeed.

Joe in NJ (Yes, Passaic County, NJ...home of The Cabs......BOTH Cabs)

I'm not 100% certain, but I feel this is the first time Cabs came to their first show with an incomplete show. Is this true?

Anyway, think of all the times Bush came out with 1/2 a show, and wound up cleaning house come DCA weekend.

Actually... the rarely spoken of season of 2005.... the corps did not even compete in Wildwood. They did an exhibition of half their show.

However, that being said, I think EVERY corps had some issues out there. I did not see one corps (Although I did not get to see Carolina or Fusion unfortunately, we were heading to warm up when they were on) where every player got every horns up, every direction change, were always in step, etc. It's the first show of the season. Whether or not you've had drill since March or since May, it's the first show, and no one is ever perfect.

I believe every corps achieved their goals of being entertaining to the crowd. And boy, was it good to see Sunrisers back out there this season. That's a corps I grew up watching as a kid in my early years of drum corps experience. I'm excited to see how they progress this year. Let's talk about that... a corps that has been fighting since 2001 (or was it 2000?) to put out a competitive corps that has made a return to the field. That's achievement right there. Way to go, guys. I look forward to seeing more of you this summer.

Let's talk about Windsor Regiment... in their first DCA performance ever. Wow... I was impressed by them on Saturday. For a new corps, they are very well put together and well prepared for their first performance in competition. How many other "new" corps have attempted to put together something and have not even made it through the winter? These guys did... New blood to DCA. That's awesome.

Why do we have to always talk about the negatives? Let's focus on the things that are going to keep this activity alive. After all, that should be the most important thing, right?

As for the Cabs, I have no doubt that they will be more than prepared in 12 weeks for DCAs. That corps is something else... they always have something to pull out. Will it win every time? No. But man, they're going to going to give their all every time they're out there have a good time trying, and the crowd will love to watch them every time.

• Like 3

I saw a number of messages at the beginning of this topic about "where are the scores???"

This year, DCA is releasing contest scores simultaneously on our web site, on our Facebook page, and through our Twitter account. There's no need to wonder :) The scores are on any of those places literally as they are being announced at the stadium.

http://www.dcacorps.org

http://www.facebook.com/dcacorps

http://www.twitter.com/dcacorps or just follow dcacorps on Twitter.

Recaps are always released the next day.

More big new from DCA coming soon - and if you're not on our email list, you're going to miss out:

http://www.dcacorps.org/?page_id=103

Talk about lack of respect for the past and claiming 'knowledge'of percussion -NOT. You drop a snide remark about Cabs Alumni 'playing a strictly rudimental show' - are you serious - you don't think rudiments are challenging nor fit the music ? Hey guy - try getting over your hangover before you post anything. When you trash the past - you show your total ignorance of the activity and its roots.

I believe drumbo was actually praising the Cabs's alumni, especially the percussion, and seemed to have enough respect for the past to appreciate the fact that the soloist played on a 2-valve bugle and G horn. Not to mention enough of a knowledge of percussion to recognize rudiments. And yet, curiously you were not the only one to jump all over this post. Perhaps folks couldn't get past drumbo's comment that the Cabs competition corps did not look good, especially the percussion. Following with his criticism of the Cabs "ho-hum" subliminal Spanish themed show, which incidently worked so well for them last year. But hey, you got to admit that when the competition corps fields 4 snares while the alumni corp fields a full line, it must be a bit disheartening. And, BTW, Cabs Alumni ROCK!!

Edited by VOReason