wildwood

okay,...........so,.............does this mean that these are all original compositions?,............Frank said earlier that there is about 25 seconds of a particular tune,..................are there "quotes" of other tunes?,............

As a complete aside, I was under the impression that even just a few seconds of a song required obtaining the rights to "arrange and perform" from the original composer,.............is this the case with Cabs this season?

Yes it is all original. Thanks again to Key Poulan.

Yes with some hints of things played from the past. I think once you hear it all you will like it.

*****Side Note.. Next time anyone is at a Flyers Game and you hear the Rumps .. That because the organist is a Cabs alum.*********.

Edited by CABADM

While we are on the topic of what the cabs play can anyone help me out? What is the name of the song/theme that the Cabs always play... you would count it like this I believe.

1 2 3 4 & 1 2 3 4 & 1 &a2 &a3 &a4 & 1.....and so on. sorry if thats not descriptive enough, but thats the best I can do. hahahaha thanks for the help!

Dustin W.

Our 'theme' or signature opening fanfare of what we affectionately call the 'Rumps' immediately identifies Hawthorne, the same way a certain four notes unmistakably identify the New York Skyliners. As indicated, the Rumps are part of the song Espana Cani, first played by the corps in the 1950's, and reprised a number of times by both the competing corps and the Cabs Alumni. The Alumni last played a full version of the song in 2005 or 2006.

There have been many seasons throughout the years when the corps tried to drop them from the contest routine, only to be brought back -- usually by popular (if not the judges') demand. My first season in Hawthorne, 1966, we played just the closing fanfare Rumps. By mid-season, we were playing them at the start, out of concert, and as the closing fanfare! The only truly successful season I can recall without 'Rumps' when I marched was 1970. Somehow, we managed to win our first DCA title without them! By 1971, they were back as part of the closing fanfare.

Even though you didn't ask, the other song which is the signature tune of the Caballeros is Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco. (If you saw us Saturday in Wildwood, it was our last number which also serves as the color presentation.) Fran Haring refers to this as the "Caballeros' National Anthem." The competing corps still plays it for parades, retreats, and occasionally together with us, usualy at the Grand Prix contest in July.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer

Our 'theme' or signature opening fanfare of what we affectionately call the 'Rumps' immediately identifies Hawthorne, the same way a certain four notes unmistakably identify the New York Skyliners. As indicated, the Rumps are part of the song Espana Cani, first played by the corps in the 1950's, and reprised a number of times by both the competing corps and the Cabs Alumni. The Alumni last played a full version of the song in 2005 or 2006.

There have been many seasons throughout the years when the corps tried to drop them from the contest routine, only to be brought back -- usually by popular (if not the judges') demand. My first season in Hawthorne, 1966, we played just the closing fanfare Rumps. By mid-season, we were playing them at the start, out of concert, and as the closing fanfare! The only truly successful season I can recall without 'Rumps' when I marched was 1970. Somehow, we managed to win our first DCA title without them! By 1971, they were back as part of the closing fanfare.

Even though you didn't ask, the other song which is the signature tune of the Caballeros is Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco. (If you saw us Saturday in Wildwood, it was our last number which also serves as the color presentation.) Fran Haring refers to this as the "Caballeros' National Anthem." The competing corps still plays it for parades, retreats, and occasionally together with us, usualy at the Grand Prix contest in July.

I remember in 1966 Cabs used "Valencia" as their Color Pre.

• Like 1

This tune gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Saturday evening was a marvelous evening of drum corps...and one of the biggest highlights for me (in addition to the Balance in Blue, of course!), was the performance of the Caballeros Alumni. Always a treat to see and hear, and Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco gets me every time. I hope it stays in your repertoire for as long as you're fielding a corps!

I was not implying at all in any way, shape, or form that their choice of music was impacting their score (in case you thought I was). As far as to what is hurting their score- its from the first show. Whats hurting their score is the same thing that will hurt every corps score until mid season- a dirty show that will only be fixed with time and cleaning as you stated above.

I know, I just simply picked a quote that was part of the musics selection conversation.

This tune gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Saturday evening was a marvelous evening of drum corps...and one of the biggest highlights for me (in addition to the Balance in Blue, of course!), was the performance of the Caballeros Alumni. Always a treat to see and hear, and Cha-Cha-Cha Flamenco gets me every time. I hope it stays in your repertoire for as long as you're fielding a corps!

Its a shame that DCP won't allow sharing of show material. There are several videos floating around on social networking sites today of Wildwood Saturday night and you get a really great feeling about what the Cabs are doing this season.

Its a shame that DCP won't allow sharing of show material. There are several videos floating around on social networking sites today of Wildwood Saturday night and you get a really great feeling about what the Cabs are doing this season.

Care to share these sites???

tradition..style....being familiar can be a blessing as well as a curse. Just depends who you talk to. Its hard to walk that line trying to please and this corps has walked it long before now. I think its helped at times as well as hurt at times............Oh well . I'm sure they will survive and thrive and do what they need to.

they are not permitted to, against DCP rules. any and all video links posted unless posted by the corps themselves will be removed.

see below

they are not permitted to, against DCP rules. any and all video links posted unless posted by the corps themselves will be removed.

Thank you for stating that. I did not want to come off sounding like a jerk.

Social networking site is the key word here.

:rock:

Edited by camel lips