DCI Austin / Round Rock Review

(Note: We made some new friends at the show, one of whom was incredibly nice and is going to share some of the photos he took of the corps. Once I get them from him, I'll post them in here as well.)

The Austin / Round Rock show was at RRISD stadium, seemed to seat about 5k on the home side. It didn't look like it was filled all night. But I'm also terrible at estimating crowd numbers, and couldn't see end to end. I was on the 50, row 12, so right in the heart of the Blast Zone. The sun was behind the press box by the time the show started, which *really* helped with the temperatures, and a stiff wind kicked up that felt great on us, but caused merry havoc with the guards and equipment work. (Which I'm sure you all will see tonight in giant resolution!) I was at the show with my niece, a freshman college student, and we made great friends with a couple next to us who had seen shows off and on, but were still fairly new to the activity.

Westwood HS band members played the national anthem, and the corps performed in straight order of finish from last year - not the normal reverse order. So folks that waited to come late and see only the top corps, two words - Ha. Ha.

Blue Devils - The Beat My Heart Skipped: The Blue Devils this year have a smooth, laid back production. So much so that you (as we did) might make the snap judgement that Cavies, Cadets et al have a more difficult show simply because the intensity level is different. I have to argue that it's not so in this case - the Blue Devils have a wonderfully sophisticated, yet easily accessible program that they nail very, very well. It's the epitome of a California-cool show, and they definitely deserve credit for working so hard to make it look so easy. This show is really about the hornline and their deep, rich arrangements; everything else seems to fade in the background behind them. The drumline played some aggressive parts, and the Pearl drums sound like a million bucks, but there was some uncharacteristic dirt in the playing that might simply be June performances at work. The house props were horribly distracting - the poles actually worked quite nicely, but the boxes can go immediately, especially as the big moment at the end when they come together... really looks nothing like a house. I also didn't expect their synthesizer to be quite as loud as it was, and it caught me off guard. They had 9 tubas tonight - looked like there was one hole - and they couldn't compete with the synth. The drill is ... sorry BD fans... kind of uninspired. There are no "wow" moments that don't involve the props. I don't pretend to know what goes through judges minds, so I can't make an accurate prediction. I will say, though, that I don't think they are quite the runaway frontrunner they have been for so many years now. All of that said, it's a *huge* step up in the entertainment column for them from last year, and come August they'll be challenging for another title.

Cavaliers - XtraordinarY: I have no idea what the show is about. It came off as some demented carnival-set war dance. I'm not quite sure what Nature Boy has to do with anything. But I absolutely loved the show, and can't get enough of it. This version of the Cavaliers has dropped all illusions of sublety and has decided to just club you in the head with their show. The voice samples aside, which sounded thin against the amazing volume the hornline was putting out, they probably have the best integrated set of electronics and effects of any corps this year. They really let the hornline do the work and let the electronics assist with the effect, and I appreciate that. The brass was by far the loudest of the night - easily the loudest Cavalier hornline I've ever heard. Cavs also had a smaller tuba line - is this a reaction to the dome in Indy? The drumline seems to be settling in still, but I think they outplayed the Blue Devils. The upside-down tenor solo was a showstopper, and I only wish they had followed it up with something equally as intense. (The guard uniforms, by the way, are all black on the back, so when they turn around, they present a normal profile.) The guard uses stilts to neat effect, and they kept us focused on them throughout the show. The drill... is very clean when they march, and they make great use of vertical movement (standing, sitting, etc.). The corps played the last minute or so at a standstill. I've never been to a June show, actually, so that was odd to finally see in person. I agree with folks that get irritated with that. Regardless, the Cavaliers *will* be competing for the title right now, and I will predict they're going to nip a handful of shows from BD along the way.

Bluecoats - Brave New World: If you liked Metropolis, you'll like Brave New World. The Bluecoats, and I feel rightly so, figured not to tinker too much with the formula of their best corps ever last year. They make liberal use of Radiohead, with several (prerecorded?) quotes of "What the hell am I doing here?" It brought a titter each time out of the audience. My row felt very much the same about the program. We're not sure what it was about, but it did unfailingly get our heads bopping in time with the groove. They do twist the formula slightly and lead off with the ballad, which was a nice touch, really. I'm not familiar with all of the source material, but while they don't have a production number quite as catchy as Aha from last year, I felt their closer this time around was much stronger. Great tuba feature in it as well. It seemed like the hornline is roughly equivalent to last year's, if not a bit stronger. The drumline looks like they've made a major step forward, and that's good to see. Sometimes the Bluecoats haven't come out with the most... aggressive... drum scores, but this year's model seems to be right up there with the top corps. There was also a lot of playing to the end zones from all of the corps tonight - more than I think I've ever seen in a single year. I'm guessing that's the Indy effect again at work, since the backfield curtain is a black hole. I'm not sure where they're going to place this year - it feels like they made a step sideways rather than forward, but I'm definitely not going to say they'll be out of the top six.

Carolina Crown - Rach Star: I'm not quite sure why Crown's show has been so polarizing so far. It's great, great fun and toes that hard-to-achieve line between having a lot of zip and energy without them *looking* like they're trying to have a lot of zip and energy. Like I said with the Blue Devils, it's very hard to make it look that easy. The preshow has a certifiably insane drum feature (fair, I think, since last year's was almost exclusively brass) that, while not exactly lining up on the big beats with the rock music, still brought the crowd alive. Overall, I think the corps has jumped a step in quality - the drumline really built on last year's charts and methods and really shine in a show that's built for them. The first 2/3 of the "main" program really does a nice job of straddling the classical / rock divide, and Paint it Black did not fail to bring folks to their feet. However, the last third of the show is purely Rach, not Rock, and it doesn't quite finish it off at the same level. Really, we felt the end of the show needed Rock. The beginning of the show had it, the middle of the show had it, and the end... needs it. Also, and I hope someone at Crown is reading this: since the show is about Rach and Rock, please please please move the pianist (who is a LOT of fun to watch) and the kit drummer to the center of the pit ensemble, right on the 50. The show is about them - don't hide them off to the side, partially hidden by one of the podiums. Move them in *front* of the pit if you have to, but get them centered! The brass section is ... I think "powerful" is the best word. Yes, they're not doing the concert-ready book they played last year, but you definitely get the feeling they could if they wanted to. I think shortchanging them because of the more "mainstream" material is doing them a disservice. The first hit of the show is terrific. Visually, I think their drill is very much like their show last year, and the year before, and the year before - they have a pretty strong visual identity that shows through. You see what they do and think "Crown." That's good. The guard, again because of the wind, is hard to gauge. They didn't blow me away, but they didn't catch my eye as cause for concern either. They're wearing variations on a rock theme, and the dark colors made them seem kind of small on the field. All in all, I think it's a fine show, and it stands right up there with their other recent top offerings. It was easily my niece's favorite show of the night - it kept her entertained and interested.

The Cadets - Between Angels and Demons: Brass, brass and more brass. Sharply timed hits, even from two different ends of the field, and they brought a *ton* of volume with them. A signature "Cadets" aggressive drum feature that the crowd loved. And a drill book that made the integration and interaction of the two sides look ridiculously easy. Which, of course, we know it isn't - that's the point. That's the good. Okay, now the rest. The program suffers from a major, major case of taking itself way too seriously. The two sides enter the field from opposite end zones, and while the "angel" side lines up and goes through their motions, the "demon" side mingles in the back corner, growling, banging and bringing the angry. I think that's part of the problem - the show takes itself and the conflict a little too seriously, and the bad guy side never really gets to have fun with it. Or at least let us in on the fun if they are. (Oh yeah, and the dark guard is wearing pink.) Not meant to mock, but it's a very "emo" show, and could really stand to lighten up a bit. The horns perform the entire show at blastissimo, with very little contrast or even variation in the volume. And the music is not going to appeal to casual viewers in any way, in fact, the casual viewers with me didn't care for it at all. Tension, impact, release, rinse, repeat. There's no flow to it, and very little to hang on to. Even the ballad, the dark side twists the major chords to make it a little uglier, which in a programming sense fits right in... but doens't make it any prettier. All in all, the whole program, as my niece said, "needs work - it's almost there," and I have to agree. Knowing the Cadets, it'll get tweaked as we go. I have no idea where they'll fit in with the judges, honestly. I'm guessing 3rd. Or 4th. Or 5th. I don't know. Somewhere in there. They definitely upgraded their show from last year, and I see the potential in it. Oh, they also performed without hats, I'm guessing due to wind.

Phantom Regiment - Juliet: Musically, I felt this show was wonderful - the opening melody is repeated throughout the entire program, and logically inserted to tie the whole thing back together with a neat little bow. That's nice, in a "classic" drum corps sort of way. Phantom should be required to play everyone's encores all season. There's a great low brass depth to the hornline that shows through, especially when sections are featured and turned loose. There were little quibbles - the build in both the ballad and Elsa's procession are really abrupt and could use more lead-up time, but again... quibbles. The drumline is doing just fine, post-Paul, thank you, and while they will not win high drums this year, they will also not fall less than the overall corps standing, either. However, DCI is not judged on a standstill, and the visual program as not nearly as interesting as the musical one. The drill, I hate to say, is kind of blah. It uses staging okay, folks get from point A to point B okay, it's okay, okay okay. Just not great. The guard seemed to have a rough night, but again... wind. We all expected more of a narrative show than what they program currently provided as well. I can't say what exactly - the show just gave the impression that there's more behind the curtain than what they're currently giving us. Overall, I felt it was a safe, nice, fun show from Regiment, that will likely keep them in the 6-8 range. Oh, and the uniforms, even the black plumes, look just fine under the lights. One fun aside - one of Phantom's staff came and sat down in the aisle right next to me. It was interesting to watch the show with him as he clapped very loudly when he thought the crowd should. Often, he was the only one. Note to designers - if you want the crowd to clap, build in a space for them to do so. After a big hit, don't hold out a soft note under it - we're a smart audience - we're not going to clap because we know more music is coming!

Santa Clara Vanguard - The Devil's Staircase: Well, they brought a full show tonight. That's a start. Paul Rennick's drum arrangements are a much more natural fit with SCV than they were with Phantom, and the drumline seems to really get in to them. The cymbal players are still awesome to watch, and there is neat staging of the "staircase" with the guard and the horns all program. However, the music is plain ugly - there's no way of getting around it. As a disclaimer, I didn't care for the Bartok show last year either. And I get the whole argument about art vs. entertainment - the same one that's gone on for decades now... but this music is not entertaining. It was also a dirty performance - lots and lots of individual errors. But again - June show. It happens. However, what Vanguard always brings to the table is the package around it - the little things that Vanguard always does. The body movement, the little push on the end of long notes, the feverish interplay between guard and hornline - all of these things that you expect from them at this point make it a total package worth seeing - you get what you both want and expect from Vanguard. Just not one I'm going to play on my iPod. Ever. Quite honestly, they were losing the crowd at this point. The energy level after The Cadets seemed to be dropping and dropping.

Blue Stars - Rebourne: Then these guys came on. I have seen a lot of shows over a lot (a lot) of years, and I don't get blindsided by a corps often at all anymore. But this show did it with a sneaky vengeance. I have to say, the "new" Blue Stars have often left me flat. Starting with Le Tour, they've always seemed to put on "nice" shows that in some ways feel like McDrumCorps. Yeah - this one isn't that. The show started a bit slowly - the corps came out with a lot of energy, but it was more of the same tension, release, repeat style of arranging that we'd seen from Cadets and Vanguard, and left my niece and our new friends slightly glassy-eyed. I think, though, we were selling the show short, as once they hit the drum feature after the ballad, the whole thing just came together with a bang. Lots of ethnic and non-traditional sounds in this show, and it just works. As an aside, they did epitomize drum corps in 2011 - a synthesizer playing an oboe in front of a brass feature. And the low synth was completly overpowering. Rattle the seat bottoms loud. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the beginning of the show could probably benefit from adding some of the electronic layers from the back end of the production. The entire second half of the show brought the house down - the techno drum feature and closer really showed me (and I mean this truly) the other side of what electronics can do for a show. Cavaliers used them as effects around the edges; Blue Stars drove it right down the middle and built the rest around it. And it works, especially in such a program as they have this year, which was built on electronica music anyways. Oh yeah, and the hornline brought *incredible* volume. Also, this was the first time I'd seen the new Gray Stars uniforms in person, and while not what I would have picked, they work. They work well. Especially with the white shoulders - they look like they are ten feet tall out there. The featured guard member was awesome - nailed his tosses all show. Also has a *neat* setup in the final drill set. They make great use of a giant ramp across the back right, though it apparently is wrapped in black garbage bags? I'm hoping there's something later coming to wrap it, as right now it looked... improvised. Regardless, the ramps really help with their staging, and they seemed to have no trouble with the wind. Absolutely fabulous show, and one I would definitely pay money - and a lot of money - to download a copy of from DCI.

The encore was played by Vanguard while the text votes (waaaay too complicated a process, by the way) were being tabulated. As I told my niece, I love encores - you strip away the motion, the guard, all of the trappings - and let's hear some music. Vanguard played their closer and Send in the Clowns. I have to say... Vanguard's closer wasn't any more appealing the second time.

Finally, Dan Potter (hi, Dan!) announced that "there were so many votes, we will have to announce it tomorrow." Um... yeah. I'm guessing the server crashed, or the squirrel in the wheel stopped running or some such. Very, very few people had stuck around to this point, so with that we finally headed home.

My niece (college band student) felt that Crown really stole the show for her - she thought it was the perfect mix of entertainment and sophistication. Our new friends felt that The Cavaliers topped the field. Purely on my own criteria, I would have scored the corps as -

1) Cavaliers

2) Blue Devils

3) Carolina Crown

4) Bluecoats

5) Blue Stars

6) Cadets

7) Phantom Regiment

8) Vanguard

Now, I'm reasonably sure the judges won't see it that way. :) We will find out together tonight in the theater. (And if they show the crowd, I'm the guy in the red polo right on the aisle on the 50, halfway up.)

Mike

• Like 6

Great review I see things closely to what you do as well though I think BDs show will be hurt by the drill but we'll see.Great night though and a lot of wonderful shows this summer!

Wes P

BK 97 98

• Like 1

"against the amazing volume the hornline was putting out" "The brass was by far the loudest of the night - easily the loudest Cavalier hornline I've ever heard.

So when was the last time we've read these words discribing a Cavalier hornline with the likes of BD, Cadets, PR and even Crown in the same lineup??

I have obviously heard about the new "things" the hornline is doing this year. Although some people will miss the "musical" hornlines of the past from The Green Team, it sounds like the volume will impress us throughout the season. It's the age old debate, musicallity vs volume. Too bad we all can't agree you can have both.

• Like 1

I'd argue the Cavaliers brought both - the volume caught everyone off guard when it started, too. Not something you expect when you think Cavaliers. It felt like the grown up version of last year's hornline. Or the 2.0 release. :smile:

Mike

I'd argue the Cavaliers brought both - the volume caught everyone off guard when it started, too. Not something you expect when you think Cavaliers. It felt like the grown up version of last year's hornline. Or the 2.0 release. :smile:

Mike

I've already read on here someone saying they miss the musicality of the Cavalier hornlines. Can't please everyone. I haven't heard them yet live so I'll form my own opinion soon.

I disagree with most of what you said. :tongue:

But...that's what great about the activity! Different strokes for different folks. I was in Row 24 in Section F (42.5 YDL).

Great review! Mine to follow.

Very nice review!