Alliance & CorpsVets

Well, to be honest, it will take it becoming a super huge issue before it changes. Part of the problem is so many corps want to be there thursday so they can rehearse Friday.

can do thatn a few weeks earlier... I know many kids ( young people) who leave toward the end or wont join for all those reasons of late date...as it get younger it has to become more and more of an issue....maybe why some corps have some smaller #s maybe not but has to be looked at for sure..it does exsist

can do thatn a few weeks earlier... I know many kids ( young people) who leave toward the end or wont join for all those reasons of late date...as it get younger it has to become more and more of an issue....maybe why some corps have some smaller #s maybe not but has to be looked at for sure..it does exsist

The big problem with having young members and championships on Labor Day is football games. Some band directors will not let them march if they miss a football game. I know the response to this is, get someone else, or too bad. But if you are trying to march full corps (and quality ones), you need everyone you can get. Maybe we see this as the slippery slope that we went down when we started allowing a significant amount of younger marchers in to corps.

For the record, I like having younger membership. I think the programs that we have seen are really starting to push what can be done with weekend-only corps.

well, for kids that works. for adults that doesnt in these times. vacation days dont grow on trees like they used to in corporate America anymore. It is a true dilemma. Both sides have valid points. But I don't expect a change anytime soon.

• Like 1

well, for kids that works. for adults that doesnt in these times. vacation days dont grow on trees like they used to in corporate America anymore. It is a true dilemma. Both sides have valid points. But I don't expect a change anytime soon.

time will tell. I had a conversation last year with a director that forked money out for several kids to fly back and forth and said if he didnt there would be to many blanks and was so mad said " dont know how were going to go to championships " Now he also may have been a bit melodramatic..lol.........dca is younger every year...there's the good and bad of that situation

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

time will tell. I had a conversation last year with a director that forked money out for several kids to fly back and forth and said if he didnt there would be to many blanks and was so mad said " dont know how were going to go to championships " Now he also may have been a bit melodramatic..lol.........dca is younger every year...there's the good and bad of that situation

I cannot speak for every corps in DCA but I have seen this with several of the corps in DCA. No matter what band director forms are filled out at the beginning of the season or nods from the directors with a official okie dokie on labor day weekend there always seems to be a small handful of kids that have issues with labor day weekend and Friday night football games.

I know in both 2006 and 2007 the corps I was with had to have a separate van leaving at midnight on Friday night for the kids that HAD to march Football games. The van was nearly full both seasons. Ive know of other instances where a hat had to be passed around to get kids on a plane there.

I feel certain this is a wide spread issue and not limited to a few corps.

Probably not, and I'l tell you why:

that extra travel day being a national holiday helps for those with jobs.

And Labor Day weekend hurts the Texas corps with the students in a big way. School has long since started, so the kids cannot be in a band program and do DCA corps. Recruiting for Vigilantes has always centered on two serious challenges - the cost and the timing of the season. To compete in late August and early September in Texas is almost impossible for those in college and below - unless they are not involved in scholastic music programs.

It IS something that will have to be evaluated as the average marching age gets younger. From our perspective, it can be the difference between fielding a corps or not (as is the case this season). We will step up our recruiting further to address the issues (yes - we've heard the snide remarks to work harder on here in the past in reference to the 35 member rule - if only that were the issue!), but some issues such as Labor Day weekend championships cannot be explained away when a student has to choose between passing/failing their courses or marching a weekend drum corps. Guess which one wins?

Edited by Euphscott

, but some issues such as Labor Day weekend championships cannot be explained away when a student has to choose between passing/failing their courses or marching a weekend drum corps. Guess which one wins?

Yet the push to make DCA corps and the target audience younger continues. Not as big of a issue when it was more SR corps targeted.

Is there a strategic reason for having the two Georgia shows on different weekends? As a rule, aren't two-show weekends a benefit for corps?

Robert Kirby

I cannot speak for every corps in DCA but I have seen this with several of the corps in DCA. No matter what band director forms are filled out at the beginning of the season or nods from the directors with a official okie dokie on labor day weekend there always seems to be a small handful of kids that have issues with labor day weekend and Friday night football games.

I know in both 2006 and 2007 the corps I was with had to have a separate van leaving at midnight on Friday night for the kids that HAD to march Football games. The van was nearly full both seasons. Ive know of other instances where a hat had to be passed around to get kids on a plane there.

I feel certain this is a wide spread issue and not limited to a few corps.

it happened my first year in 1989. it's nothing new.